dcsimg

Drill press

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have cheap bench top drill press.

So do I, I bought it 25 years ago and it is still working and drills straight. For me as long as it keeps doing its job it’ll be around.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That’s great that it still works after 25 yrs. They don’t make stuff like they use to anymore. Especially lasting that many years.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

So do I, I bought it 25 years ago and it is still working and drills straight. For me as long as it keeps doing its job it’ll be around.

I have only owned mine for 7 years. It doesn’t get alot of use. But it is there when I need it. Mine will be around for awhile tool. If I find a older drill press for the right price. Then I will replace it.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have only owned mine for 7 years. It doesn’t get alot of use. But it is there when I need it. Mine will be around for awhile tool. If I find a older drill press for the right price. Then I will replace it.

i caved and bought a big box store one from porter cable and i find it use it alot in quite a few of my projects. Couldn’t live without one. Mind you one that can go slow enough to do metal is key.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

i caved and bought a big box store one from porter cable and i find it use it alot in quite a few of my projects. Couldn’t live without one. Mind you one that can go slow enough to do metal is key.

A drill press is on my “essential tools” list. Don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have one.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

A drill press is on my “essential tools” list. Don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have one.

I am happy to have my drill press even if it is cheap one. It does what I want to do. Maybe one day I might find a vintage one. Honestly I really not looking too hard.

Greg

mongo
    Pro

Bought a Delta 14″ floor model about 30 years ago. Still great although a continuously variable speed would be nice.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s great that it still works after 25 yrs. They don’t make stuff like they use to anymore. Especially lasting that many years.

Yeah I have gotten good use out of it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah and right now since it is mashed up in my garage/shop i can’t access it. I need to really get to sorting it out and setting shop up, just a little hard juggling that and the kid

Doobie

Bought a Delta 14″ floor model about 30 years ago. Still great although a continuously variable speed would be nice.

I used to think that myself, but how often do you change your speed? I’ve rarely ever bothered to change my belts over for a different speed since I bought mine 15 years ago, but I pretty well am only drilling into wood with it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I know I hardly change the speed of my drill press too. I only use mind to drill wood also.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m just the opposite I bounce back and forth between metal and wood. Mostly metal though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I know I hardly change the speed of my drill press too. I only use mind to drill wood also.

Like a Vulcan ‘mind’ meld I assume?

😂

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I used to think that myself, but how often do you change your speed? I’ve rarely ever bothered to change my belts over for a different speed since I bought mine 15 years ago, but I pretty well am only drilling into wood with it.

i could definitely use the continuously variable speed would be great. I change between wood and metal quite often. I could be making knives and then switching to the wood handles.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

i could definitely use the continuously variable speed would be great. I change between wood and metal quite often. I could be making knives and then switching to the wood handles.

I have seen where some guys have bought a 3 Ph drill press and put a VFD on so they have variable speeds. Maybe something to think about.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have seen where some guys have bought a 3 Ph drill press and put a VFD on so they have variable speeds. Maybe something to think about.

VFDs are not that costly either. Variable speed on a drill press would be a worthwhile feature IMO.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Not for me. I’m still quite happy with my Ridgid and how I customized it.

This week I should be receiving an auto-on/off outlet box for it I just ordered late last week for the dedicated old shop vac I have set up with it to take debris away at source with an ridgid articulated hose attached to it I got from LV. Works like a charm and now it’ll be even better. I’m always looking to tweak improvements in my setups. It’s a big part of what makes having a shop fun for me.

The old shop vac I have for it I got at auction with the opening $2 starting bid for it. The casters were shot and the hose it had was duct taped together and the motor makes a horrible noise when powering down. But it has worked just fine for what I purposed it for sitting at the bottom base of my drill press.

I use WEN 4214 which is extremely versatile and that was the reason I bought it. What I also found convenient about it is it’s light and a lasor you can adjust however you want to and can work really quick and precise with their help, especially when you have a bunch of drills. At first, I noticed the vibration at the lower speeds, but it appeared to be normal. I checked everything and it was tight. So, I’ve been working with this machine quite a long time and it does a good job.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I use WEN 4214 which is extremely versatile and that was the reason I bought it. What I also found convenient about it is it’s light and a lasor you can adjust however you want to and can work really quick and precise with their help, especially when you have a bunch of drills. At first, I noticed the vibration at the lower speeds, but it appeared to be normal. I checked everything and it was tight. So, I’ve been working with this machine quite a long time and it does a good job.

No vibrations on my old king 17″ floor drill press.
    And it’s an old model.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

WEN 4214

I thought WEN Tools were new to the market. But after checking out your drill model. I have learnt that WEN started in 1951 selling tools. I have just started hearing about them a few years ago. I bought a WEN 6 inch bench grinder last year.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.369 seconds