dcsimg

Drill press

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

Have a bench top and 2 floor models and special one that can drill compound angle for chair legs that is set up as a mortiser.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

special one that can drill compound angle for chair legs that is set up as a mortiser.

Oh man that sounds like a very nice DP. Any pictures of that one?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use too have an old central machinery bench too model I pickup at a yard sale . I burned the motor up and never replaced it .

Always willing to learn .

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

At present I’m making do (or am I?) with a bench-top handheld drill adapter kit (it’s just as kludgy as it sounds). Mine was made by Vermont American, but it was an import that was labeled for multiple brands (Craftsman had a variant on it a few decades back, among others). I’m attaching a couple pictures of a similar units.

As you might imagine from looking at them, they’re better suited to a Jr. High Shop Class environment… trying to get one dialed in and trued up is just about impossible. Benefit is that you can mount whatever powered hand drill you want. Disadvantage is that fumbling with the trigger is a deal-killer… I had to engage the trigger lock and then run the power through a floor pedal. Further disadvantage is that when something is designed to be one-size-fits-all, what that really means is that no-size-fits-well. Never has that been more true than with this unit!

I keep my eye on the local Craigslist page for an old unit that I can restore (as others here have done), but so far I’ve not found the right combination of unit/price/condition/location. One of these days, Alice, one of these days…

And I thought I was the only one making due with one of those. Mine’s the Craftsman model I picked up at a yard sale for $5. I saw another one recently at the flea market for $28 that I passed on. I have a low speed/high torque Dewalt drill in it.

One nice feature is they include provisions to mount the head sideways on the shaft to be used as a buffer. That’s what the hole below the gearbox is for. loosen the head and slide it off the shaft, slide the other hole onto the shaft and tighten a bolt to the shaft. It was designed so you could remove the tightening knob from the drill press hole and use it in the buffer hole, but the drill press hole has a nut the knob threads into, which is easily lost, and the buffer side just threads into the piece. Be careful not to over tighten the buffer one, I split the aluminium over tightening mine when I was improvising a wood lathe last fall.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

porter cable floor sized drill press, slow enough to drill through steel with coolant (eventually I need to build a pump coolant system) and can also do wood which is great for me as I work with both mediums.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I bought a drill press from a customer two years ago. Have never turned it on so far. Can’t even remember the brand, but I know it is green. Bought a Delta jointer from him also. That has gotten one use, but it was for several hours. Every old guy needs these tools in his shop, right?

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have a good sized drill press from Mastercraft .It is perfect for all the stuff I do .I use it a lot for drilling dormers and post for railings .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I was wondering if you made the dormers out of a solid block. Do the birds go though the tunnel?
    I have a big old bench top drill press that was given to me years ago.
    Nothing to special but sentimental. I put it on its own stand and it works for what I need it for.

cranbrook2
    Pro

I was wondering if you made the dormers out of a solid block. Do the birds go though the tunnel?
    Nothing to special but sentimental. I put it on its own stand and it works for what I need it for.

Yes they are a solid block and yes the birds go for the dormered rooms first .If the dormer is fairly long I will drill a bigger hole from the back side just so they can get in and out easier .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Yes they are a solid block and yes the birds go for the dormered rooms first .If the dormer is fairly long I will drill a bigger hole from the back side just so they can get in and out easier .

Sounds like you have perfected all the ins and outs of birdhouse building

Anyone have luck with the harbor freight drill press they have of late .

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro

Sounds like you have perfected all the ins and outs of birdhouse building

I just watch the birds and it all comes natural 🙂 I use my drill press a lot when it comes to woodworking or metal . I just need to make some more jigs .

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

When talking about drill press for metal, my friend just got a Milwaukee Magnetic Press Kit and it looks cool .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a good sized drill press from Mastercraft .I

John I have the same drill press but no name on the side. I bought it 30 years ago. Still works great.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jummul
    Pro

When talking about drill press for metal, my friend just got a Milwaukee Magnetic Press Kit and it looks cool .

I don’t get what it does, other than being an ordinary drill press.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I don’t get what it does, other than being an ordinary drill press.

It provide a stability when you are drilling a horizontal hole on metal. The magnetic base would stick the drill press to the metal so that it won’t be moving around when drilling in progress.

I believe the picture below would say everything:

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It provide a stability when you are drilling a horizontal hole on metal. The magnetic base would stick the drill press to the metal so that it won’t be moving around when drilling in progress.

That looks handy. When you first mentioned the magnetic drill press I was not picturing it. The picture helps.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a couple of old classics………one done and one to be restored.

The first one is a Callander Foundry – Beaver 3700 – with mortising attachment. This thing is built like a tank.

The second one is a Delta DP220, which came with the slow speed pulley attachment ( a rare find these days). It works fine as is but I am going to strip it down, check and replace, if needed, any bearings, and polish and paint it up so that it looks as good as new again.

I got lucky with the condition of the tables on both of these….no ring of shame on either.

Cheers,

Attachments:

The Beaver model looks brand new! Very similar in looks to the Powermatic that I have except color. I have mine placed in the garage exactly where you have yours. LOL. No dog next to mine though. I see your buddy likes to be in the shop with you Geordie.

Antiques. Great photos.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.550 seconds