dcsimg

Drill press

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

what kind of drill press does everyone have. Do you have a floor model or bench top?

Bench top. Small and old. Keep it for sentimental
    reasons. I do need a floor model version thou.
    Can’t affort it now. But its on my list

woodman_412

I have both. I have a Delta 8″ benchtop model that I’ve had since I started woodworking and I upgraded to a Ridgid 16″ floor model a few years ago. I really like the Ridgid, it was my first Ridgid power tool and I was a little unsure about getting it at first but it had great reviews and I’m glad I did. The depth stop system on it is really great.

Dan

danpattison.com

McK
    Pro

I have 2 old floor models.
    An Enco and an Atlas.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have a Craftsman floor model, made by Emerson. FYI, Emerson made stationary tools for Sears under the Craftsman name until 1998, then they made the Ridgid line for Home Depot which were identical to the Craftsman. I don’t think they still make the Ridgid stationary tools, but they still make the shop vacs

woodman_412

Do you guys notice much vibration from your drill press? That would be the only complaint that I have about my Ridgid is the vibration that comes from the belts. I would just replace them with link belt but they are V belts so I don’t think I can.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

My press is on its last leg. I am searching for an older delta. I have found that the older machinery will last forever. I would love to come across an old timer unloading his shop, I would pick up the whole thing in a heartbeat.

woodman_412

You’re right Brian, most of the older machinery is built much more solid than the newer models. Even the machines that I have from 12-13 years ago are better built than most of what’s available now. A lot of the older ones are simpler too which means less to go wrong with them.

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Dan, my Craftsman runs smooth. Are you sure it’s the belts ? I’d have a look at the idler pulley, make sure it’s not loose or have a bearing starting to go

woodman_412

Charles, I’ve checked all the pulleys and when you take the tension off the belts the motor runs perfectly smooth. I don’t think the belts are the greatest quality which I think is causing the problem. If you run it without much tension on the belts it’s smooth but as you increase the tension the vibration will increase. The vibration isn’t a crazy amount but just enough to notice. If they weren’t V belts I would just replace them with link belt. I have link belt on all my other machines and it works great.

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Not sure I follow you Dan. The only link belt I worked with was V, that was industrial stuff and I hated working with it ! It had brass pins in it that you had to force the next link over and onto to make the connection. It took 2 guys, a vice and a coffee break to put a belt together.. Here’s a link about V-link

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/link_belts/

woodman_412

Yeah that’s the stuff that I use Charles. Sorry I guess link belt means something different to you than it does to me. I have that on all my machines except my drill press and it works great to reduce vibration.

Dan

danpattison.com

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

We use a Rockwell floor mounted one that is about 20 years old and works like a champ. Had to replace the gearing in the table adjustment, but the motor is good. Surprisingly our table top is a Ryobi. The first year I worked in this shop I beat the heck out of it hoping to get a new one. It held up to my abuse and has gained my respect.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a Craftsman radial drill press that I have had for about 20 years. It is very versatile for wood working but a little over matched when it comes to anything other than light steel.

Mine is the floor model Powermatic with variable speed. They came out with a newer model this year. It was a Christmas present a couple of years ago from the bride in fact. It works like a champ.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a Delta floor standing model. Its variable speed so can be used on many materials and thicknesses. I used to have a bench top also, but found the floor standing unit so easy to use the bench top just sat there.

Doobie

I have a floor model old ‘grey’ Ridgid. It has served me well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have both a bench top and a floor model, I re-purposed the bench top for something else and only use the floor model. Both are really old and very tough

At present I’m making do (or am I?) with a bench-top handheld drill adapter kit (it’s just as kludgy as it sounds). Mine was made by Vermont American, but it was an import that was labeled for multiple brands (Craftsman had a variant on it a few decades back, among others). I’m attaching a couple pictures of a similar units.

As you might imagine from looking at them, they’re better suited to a Jr. High Shop Class environment… trying to get one dialed in and trued up is just about impossible. Benefit is that you can mount whatever powered hand drill you want. Disadvantage is that fumbling with the trigger is a deal-killer… I had to engage the trigger lock and then run the power through a floor pedal. Further disadvantage is that when something is designed to be one-size-fits-all, what that really means is that no-size-fits-well. Never has that been more true than with this unit!

I keep my eye on the local Craigslist page for an old unit that I can restore (as others here have done), but so far I’ve not found the right combination of unit/price/condition/location. One of these days, Alice, one of these days…

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I have an old hand me down benchtop but the motor is seized so now to decide if i replace the motor or get a new one

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.712 seconds