dcsimg

Drill Press Tables

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Sven, the reviews look good too. I like it.

How much is that one Sven?

Boyd, here’s the direct link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/drill-press-extension-table-with-fence-96395.html

I was about to comment and give my usual rant about Harbor Freight, but so long as you know you are paying $35 (and likely less with a little timing) and getting a $35 item, seems like it is a pretty good deal. But I am still skeptical despite the reviews 😛 At least, I would really want to see it in person and play around with it some before committing – not a big commitment at that price, but I also don’t want to flush $35 down the drain either

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with you there John, As with any HF stuff I prefer to go for a look feel touch in person before I buy. I never order on-line anything from there. But I have a couple stores that are huge around here and shouldn’t have to order anything anyway. And this is plenty interesting enough to go look at.

Woodpeckers makes a nice table if you don’t want to make your own.

The thing that is nice about the Woodpecker’s table is the low fence. If you have one that is too high it will get in the way of the chuck in certain drilling operations. The low fence allows you to drill narrower material.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow Scot great point, I haven’t considered that but you are so right…See, This is a prime example why this place is so great. Thanks for the info, I will check that out when I go look at it

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m with John and Boyd on the HF table I posted. But for that price, you are paying for the wood ans screws, and not much else I believe. I’m still trying to get to HF, and once there, I’ll try to get my hands on one to see.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I made it to HF yesterday and looked it over, They didn’t have one on display so I took it out of the box. It really wasn’t bad at all I didn’t think. The fence was about 3″ high and it all felt fairly sturdy..One thing I didn’t get to check out was the actual hardware, It was in another box that I would have had to tear open and as it was I had styrofoam and cardboard everywhere LOL. I couldn’t find a price on it either and no one around to help me find out so I bagged it for now..They’re having a big discount parking lot sale next weekend probably at all the stores so that might be the time to go see

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

.They’re having a big discount parking lot sale next weekend probably at all the stores so that might be the time to go see

Discounted already cheap tools are even better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Indeed!! Keep an eye out for their flyer if ya get one, It was a big secret on exactly what is was going to be all about. And after I got home I was kicking myself for not going all the way and ripping open that little box of hardware. That’s just as important as the rest. Dang it

Indeed!! Keep an eye out for their flyer if ya get one, It was a big secret on exactly what is was going to be all about. And after I got home I was kicking myself for not going all the way and ripping open that little box of hardware. That’s just as important as the rest. Dang it

Well, from the sounds of it – you just might very well see that very drill press table at the tent sale from the way you made yourself at home 🙂 haha… But I am definitely intrigued that you think it isn’t too shabby for the crazy low cost. Time will also tell as to how it stands up to use, but it may not be a bad option to at least use as a test run on a drill press table.

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

It might even make a good table for a home made Spindle sander out of an upsidedown drill I talked about in the ‘Oscillating spindle sander’ thread, It has about a 3″ square cutout and plate in the center of it too

Well I have had an unexpected extra long weekend due to the weather and I decided to make my own table. Here are a couple of pictures. I am still waiting for a few parts to arrive from Rockler. I used a combination of ideas from all of the suggestions that everyone posted. Final design and size were governed by what material I had laying around the shop. I designed the table to fit over the metal base so I can remove it easily but yet hold it solidly. I will send along a picture when complete.

Here a picture of the bottom.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Jim that table looks fantastic! How was the install of the t-tracks? I am going to be using them on my garage build and just curious if they are easy to install and secure?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is sweet Jim, nice job.

Wow Jim that looks really well done. I am with Jason on wondering how the t-track install went – if you have any tips, I’d love to hear them too!

That tabletop is almost too pretty to mess up – hope you don’t drill into it too soon 😛 How much time did you put into that setup?

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I have had an unexpected extra long weekend due to the weather and I decided to make my own table. Here are a couple of pictures. I am still waiting for a few parts to arrive from Rockler. I used a combination of ideas from all of the suggestions that everyone posted. Final design and size were governed by what material I had laying around the shop. I designed the table to fit over the metal base so I can remove it easily but yet hold it solidly. I will send along a picture when complete.

Wow great job Jim, i’d say it’s plenty big enough and very cool on how it fits in the table. i couldn’t tell by the pic but do you have a way to lock it onto the table or is it not really needed

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Forgot to ask, are you going to put in a sacrificial insert? That way if yo do drill into it too much, you can just replace it.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Nice build Jim !

Jason and John, I spent about 8 hours total on the table so far. The t-tracks where not too bad to install. I used my stacked dado set on the table saw to cut the slots before adding the edge banding. It took some time and a few different thickness of shims to get the width just right. After that I had no trouble securing them. I used a 48″ t-track from Rockler that I cut down and it comes with mounting holes pre-drilled.

Boyd, Not sure if you can tell from the bottom picture but I added two small blocks that fit into slots already in the metal table to keep it from spinning. I don’t have any way to lock it down to the table but it doesn’t seem to need any. Very tight and stable.

There is a sacrificial insert in the middle of the table. It doesn’t show to good in the pic. I am thinking about drilling out a 3″ hole underneath it so I can use a drum sander attachment. I will post more as I finish.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.529 seconds