dcsimg

Drill attachments and adapters

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am looking for a drill attachment or adapter that could do something similar to what the Bosch Flexiclick offset head does. That’s the third one down in the picture below.

Why don’t I just buy a flexiclick then? Well, out of all the heads, I only really need the offset head. I can’t afford the storage footprint required by another drill, with all the heads, with another charger, and battery just to take advantage of that head. If I am using it at home in a garage and not concerned about portable storage, may be, but to me this need is best addressed with an adapter.

I did a search and didn’t see such an offset adapter being available.

Yes, I could use a skinny right angle adapter to do it, such as one like this.

But is there one that will do it “in-line”?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The answer is no. I waited for years for a company like Bosch to come along with an off-center eccentric head that wasn’t stupid money and required another battery platform other than the one that Festool had been offering for many years.

No, the Bosch head that comes in the FlexiClic set is the only current good quality alternative I am aware of in NA and for me, it was the only real reason I bought it other than acquiring two more 12V batteries which ranked a distant 2nd reason in doing so.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

CB
    Pro

I am looking for a drill attachment or adapter that could do something similar to what the Bosch Flexiclick offset head does. I can’t afford the storage footprint required by another drill, with all the heads, with another charger, and battery just to take advantage of that head.. to me this need is best addressed as an adapter.

Is there one that will do it “in-line”?

Why do you want an adapter to be “in line”?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am looking for a drill attachment or adapter that could do something similar to what the Bosch Flexiclick offset head does.

I don’t think there is. I have never seen one which is why when the Flexi came out I jumped on it just to get that head. What I found is that the the Flexi is really a great tool and is now my go to 12V drill driver.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Zephyr makes several for the aviation industry, they are pricey, but shipping is reasonable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEPHYR-Flat-Offset-Angle-Drill-5-11-16-L-ZT561/253299009356?epid=2122126791&hash=item3af9cc274c:g:jasAAOSwCMFaKM9B:rk:32:pf:0

Panasonic used to make a dedicated drill with the offset head but I do not see it in their lineup any more.

CB
    Pro

I’m sorry, but $1,056.00? For this 3″ long off-set adapter?

Grainger sells Zephyr adapters on eBay

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought the same thing, but thought people would get a chuckle out of it. I think these are made for use in outer space or something. They say they make them for the aerospace industry.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

or $51 for 24 months installments.

This must be an item only for government bids.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Why do you want an adapter to be “in line”?

Well, in looking at the flexi-click it seems one can do this offset drilling and driving without the need of a second hand to put pressure and steady a typical angled bit. Sometimes I need that second hand to hold something else, and it would be nice to be able to do an offset drill/driving without having to figure out a way to clamp or wedge a work piece, or use two hands to operate drill and adapter, and two elbows to hold the material LOL.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Saw this awkward angle drill attachment.

Video is from 2015 so nothing new. Wonder if there is a mini version yet?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just use this one that fits in my bags

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@boschmanbrian just posted one he uses – care to share it again here Brian?

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Panasonic used to make one about 10 to 15 years ago. I do not believe they make it any more. My first real cordless drill was a Panasonic in the early 90’s. Panasonic has made some pretty good cordless drills but never really expanded their line past drills, screwdrivers and saws. They never seemed to get very good penetration in the marketplace like the other brands.

It seems like you need to sell base sets for $99 or less to get people to use your cordless options anymore.

Attachments:

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks for the tag Charlie
    Not sure of the brand , but it’s definitely aircraft and probably expensive
    It’s a definite must when working on aircraft , this is the pnuematic corner drill we also use , we have dozens of different sizes of bits for this

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

. I can’t afford the storage footprint required by another drill, with all the heads, with another charger, and battery just to take

You think the 12V Flexclick takes up that much space.

I wouldn’t mine getting it. I just not sure when.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

It’s a definite must when working on aircraft , this is the pnuematic corner drill we also use , we have dozens of different sizes of bits for this

The power unit is a Desoutter, a well known British make common in the aircraft industry. The heads are driven by gear trains, expensive to make and to repair but necessary for close quarters applications and hard to reach spots. They can be used both for drilling and fastening.

Desoutter was purchased some time ago, first by Chicago Pneumatic then swallowed up by Atlas Copco if memory serves.

It is better to remain silent and be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all traces of doubt.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The power unit is a Desoutter, a well known British make common in the aircraft industry. The heads are driven by gear trains, expensive to make and to repair but necessary for close quarters applications and hard to reach spots. They can be used both for drilling and fastening.

Desoutter was purchased some time ago, first by Chicago Pneumatic then swallowed up by Atlas Copco if memory serves.

Haha yeah sorry Peter , I know that brand of corner drill , I was referring to the smaller black 90 degree unit ,

But I’ll tell you that that desouttuer
    Corner drill is worth every penny , I’ve had mine for over 20 years , never had any issues with it.
    My only issues is that , you only have collets up to 3/16
    Good thing we have a machine shop , and a lathe , we are able to go bigger lol

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Haha yeah sorry Peter , I know that brand of corner drill , I was referring to the smaller black 90 degree unit ,

I believe Desoutter makes the offset heads as well. They are usually custom built for individual applications and can be fitted to inline, pistol grip and angle drivers.

It is better to remain silent and be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all traces of doubt.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I believe Desoutter makes the offset heads as well. They are usually custom built for individual applications and can be fitted to inline, pistol grip and angle drivers.

Ah ok , you may be right , we have a couple other corner drills
    Even reversible models , great for re tapping hard to get spots

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Zephyr makes several for the aviation industry, they are pricey, but shipping is reasonable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEPHYR-Flat-Offset-Angle-Drill-5-11-16-L-ZT561/253299009356?epid=2122126791&hash=item3af9cc274c:g:jasAAOSwCMFaKM9B:rk:32:pf:0

Panasonic used to make a dedicated drill with the offset head but I do not see it in their lineup any more.

WAIT, so that Brian has is the $1000+ aircraft offset drill adapter Kurt posted about earlier?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.042 seconds