dcsimg

Dremel Metal Cutting Wheels/Discs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I own a HYPER TOUGH type Dremel cutting tool. I need some metal type cutting wheels/discs for cutting open oil filters. Can someone please suggest such type wheels/discs and links to where I might purchase them?
    Thank You!

No one here uses/has a Dremel tool?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Only one that I know of is @miamicuse . Not sure how much cutting he does with his.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I use a die grinder.
    I’d say a dremel on steroids.

Doobie

Bought a kit a few years at a good price thinking I’d maybe find a use for it one day. Still waiting on that day. Lol!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

To cut into an oil filter? Is it to inspect the inside only or you need to make neat cuts? A tin snipe along the ridge circumference would work faster. I think a Dremel would work but takes too long. Common dremel discs should suffice.

Dremel is mostly a hobby tool but comes handy when you are in extreme tight corners and making small cuts in repairs or retrofit situations. For example, when you are trying to remove an old toilet and the toilet bolts sticking up are stubborn and the nuts on them are rusted and seized, Dremel is the best tool to split cut the nuts or cut the bolt as it gives you much better control and small enough to fit under there, so there is little chance of a slip to crack the porcelain that may be an inch away. Dremel is also useful sometimes in removing a tub drain strainer that no longer has a cross bar at the bottom where you can use s drain wrench to turn it, I use a dremel to make the face up portion of the cut, and a sawzall blade to make the longitudinal cuts down to split the strainer so I can peel them off as two pieces for removal.

In recent years, Dremel came out with newer more powerful model, which to me is disappointing. The newer models has more girth and length. So now it is harder to fit in tight space, and less control. If I needed a more powerful Dremel, I would have gotten a die grinder. In those cases you need control, not power.

I have cut open a few oil filters with the cutting wheels provided with the tool. It usually takes about 8-12 of them to cut thru a filter. The housing that I have to cut thru is 0.015 inches thick (about the thickness of a credit card). I’m looking for a diamond type disc, or a metal cutting disc. Something that I don’t have to go thru 8-12 of them.
    I’m a member at an oil and lubricant forum https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary There is an oil filter section where the members cut open oil filters and show the inside results. There are posts about the Motorcraft FL-820S having torn media when they cut them open. My son works for a Ford dealership and will be bringing me some used 820S oil filters to cut open. I want to see if the media really does tear. That’s why I need a wheel/disc that can cut these filters open.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Try the fiber reinforced discs.

The ones that comes in 10/50 packs shatter easily. I throw them away, way too dangerous. Wear safety glasses, and avoid lateral pressure while cutting.

I have the Hypertough tool and it came with the full accessories that dremel kits come with. However, I’m not familiar with working with metal and I am here to find out which wheel or piece I use to get rid of a burry edge on a piece of tin. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have the Hypertough tool and it came with the full accessories that dremel kits come with. However, I’m not familiar with working with metal and I am here to find out which wheel or piece I use to get rid of a burry edge on a piece of tin. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Use a file.
    Or some sandpaper on a block of wood.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.308 seconds