dcsimg

Dremel 3D printer

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the updated links John. This 3D stuff is pretty amazing

A Working Pro since 2004

I’ve seen what these 3D printers can do. One of my friends actually made a bobble head doll of himself with one. It was actually quite rigid I was really impressed. I’m not sure I would actually use one unless I could do something wooden.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I would love to think some day you could get a machine that would spit out pieces made of aluminium.

They do have 3d metal printers. But you have to cook the item after. Some even extrude a wood based filament.

Just open your wallet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some even extrude a wood based filament.

Wow that’s weird, I’d like to see something made of that

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

i like that it is self contained. it will be interesting to see how much the price goes down on these types of units. The cost of the materials will probably be annoyingly high just like printer ink and toner cartridges.

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s not a Dremel, but it’s also not $1K.
    $469.

With WiFi too!

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Seems like a good price. But I still fail to see how I could use one.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

They are really cool. I don’t know what I would use one for other than goofing around. 1k is a lot to spend just to goof around.
    Maybe instead of a drawing/print of a project it could be a 3D model?
    I could imagine what a customer would think…. Hi Mrs. Smith here is your deck design in a 3D model.
    Actually it might not be that bad once the price comes down some.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

My company has two of them…kind of finicky things really. One is broken and the other one will be making the replacement parts for the first when someone who knows how to work it has time.

The crazy thing is that when we bought it, it came with about half of the necessary parts to assemble it…just enough to make it functional. After that, it prints its own parts to complete the assembly!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This 3D printing is heating up. Monolith Studio introduced the Orbit 1 Metal Coater

The Orbit 1 is designed to deposit a metal plating onto 3D printed plastic parts, and can work with nickel, copper, lead, and even gold. They advertise that it can be used on conductive and non-conductive parts, but thus far the examples we’ve seen show the results you get with plastic objects.

The company says that this will be useful for making prototypes, durable mechanical parts, jewelry, and electronic parts.

Finished metal-plated parts are conductive, at least across their surfaces, and are made to be stronger and more durable.

Here is the link with more info & pics.

http://toolguyd.com/monolith-studio-orbit-metal-coater/?utm_source=ToolGuyd+List&utm_campaign=97ab744f3c-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_64ed05eb8b-97ab744f3c-327934269

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I was looking at these wondering how well they would work printing dimensional letters. I don’t want to spend $1,000 to be the guinea pig though.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was looking at these wondering how well they would work printing dimensional letters. I don’t want to spend $1,000 to be the guinea pig though.

I hear ya, that is why I’m holding off. As fast as this technology is developing by this time next year the durability of the produced item will be up and the price will be down. Look at the Jump & Starts those portable boxes that you can hook up to a car and jump it with. They started out at around 20lbs and slightly smaller than a 12V car battery fro $150-$250. Convenient. I bought one in Jan this year, it is the size of a pack of cigarettes weighs practically nothing, and can jump 10 cars before needing to be recharged. It uses Lith Ion so the shelf life of a full charge is 3+ years and it will charge your cell phone or iPad. Less than $100. Once it gets out there and purchased more people get into it and the price comes down.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I hear ya, that is why I’m holding off. As fast as this technology is developing by this time next year the durability of the produced item will be up and the price will be down. Look at the Jump & Starts those portable boxes that you can hook up to a car and jump it with. They started out at around 20lbs and slightly smaller than a 12V car battery fro $150-$250. Convenient. I bought one in Jan this year, it is the size of a pack of cigarettes weighs practically nothing, and can jump 10 cars before needing to be recharged. It uses Lith Ion so the shelf life of a full charge is 3+ years and it will charge your cell phone or iPad. Less than $100. Once it gets out there and purchased more people get into it and the price comes down.

@theamcguy: A buddy of mine got one of those and loves it. He’s a locksmith and uses his quite a bit and has nothing but good things to say about it. I carry around jumper cables for ‘just in case’ but they take up room and require a second vehicle lol. Guess I’ll put one of these on my list of things to get.

Which one do you have, Bill?

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got a unit called PowerAll PBJS12000R from amazon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Look at the Jump & Starts those portable boxes that you can hook up to a car and jump it with. They started out at around 20lbs and slightly smaller than a 12V car battery fro $150-$250. Convenient. I bought one in Jan this year, it is the size of a pack of cigarettes weighs practically nothing, and can jump 10 cars before needing to be recharged.

I had no idea these existed but it sounds super convenient. But this is definitely another great example of why it is worth waiting for the 3d printing technology to get into “the groove” and settles at a more reasonable price with a more consistent product before investing too heavily.

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

i’m interested to see how low the price will actually go on these in say 5, 10 years; a few hundred?

I just saw this Dremel printer on display at Lowe’s. It still has a $999 price tag. They have a video and also some hands on items printed with one. If only I had $1500 to throw away. I would need the ribbons too.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

A lot of 3d printers available on Amazon now. Anywhere from $300 to 2000

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Turns out my local library just set up a 3d printer and for this month is offering free prints, I may take them up on it and get a keyboard case printed up for free.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.831 seconds