dcsimg

Drain backing up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have this drain in the basement that the pipe comes from the humidifier off my furnace. Ever since I had a radon system put in from the basement when it gets a little above the line (as you see in the picture). The drain starts to gurgle or sometimes starts to back up with water as you see in the pictures below. I was wondering what can be done so this doesn’t perhaps flood my basement a little? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I thought about maybe running a snake down the drain but I don’t think that would do anything.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have this drain in the basement that the pipe comes from the humidifier off my furnace. Ever since I had a radon system put in from the basement when it gets a little above the line (as you see in the picture). The drain starts to gurgle or sometimes starts to back up with water as you see in the pictures below. I was wondering what can be done so this doesn’t perhaps flood my basement a little? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I thought about maybe running a snake down the drain but I don’t think that would do anything.

No sump pump?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a sump pump. This tube comes off my humidifier on my furnace. Sump pump on other side of basement.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sounds/looks to me like the drain is stopped up. Might try a drain cleaner. See if it will eat out the blockage.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Sounds/looks to me like the drain is stopped up. Might try a drain cleaner. See if it will eat out the blockage.

Ok. I will try that and see what it does.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Bring a plumber with a camera to see what’s blocking the drain and go from there.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Could just try snaking it out?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Yea that would be the other option. But he more than likely doesn’t own a snake. And would have to pay someone or rent one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Yea that would be the other option. But he more than likely doesn’t own a snake. And would have to pay someone or rent one.

That’s what I would try first as well. I recall when we bought our house twenty years ago that the home inspector said that the drain was likely somewhat crudded up per him after I watched him pour a bucket of water in it. It drained, but just not like it should for that volume being presented to it.

In the summer, the A/C-furnace would drain to it, which was just enough of a trickle anyways, but over the winter, nothing. He said to auger it and sure enough a ton of ‘crap’ came out of it. It just looked like small debris buildup over the decades eventually would build up. It wasn’t grease, so I’m not sure that Draino would have been the answer anyways. Years ago we had an inline humidifier installed, so the drain now gets water flowing regularly throughout the year and is less apt to re-develop that same issue from 20 years ago.

Let us know how you make out there Howard.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Years ago we had an inline humidifier installed, so the drain now gets water flowing regularly throughout the year and is less apt to re-develop that same issue from 20 years ago.

Please explain how a humidifier contributes to a drain.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Years ago we had an inline humidifier installed, so the drain now gets water flowing regularly throughout the year and is less apt to re-develop that same issue from 20 years ago.

Please explain how a humidifier contributes to a drain.

It has a water line to it that flows water thru the humidifier which flows the unused water forward into my basement drain. On a super cold dry winter day, it runs around 15 to 20 gallons of water a day of which maybe one gallon is fed thru the house via the furnace ventilation as humidity in the air. The rest goes down the drain helping to keep the drain from either having the P-Trap drying out over the winter otherwise or simply to keep crap that finds itself falling in there from easily accumulating.

Here’s something I quickly found that maybe helps explain what type of humidifier this is. The type I’m talking about is not a reservoir type, but a flow-thru type.

https://www.thespruce.com/anatomy-of-the-home-furnace-humidifier-1824773

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a snake and tried it, but it went down the hole about 2 or 3 inches and felt like it hit bottom. I have to wait till the water does down to see what it looks like.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

There is most likely a trap at the drain. It keeps water in it so you don’t get sewer fumes in the house. Picture going through the letter s in the drain. You might be better to have a drain pro come do it.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

There is most likely a trap at the drain. It keeps water in it so you don’t get sewer fumes in the house. Picture going through the letter s in the drain. You might be better to have a drain pro come do it.

Ok Ron. Thanks Ron for your opinion.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.347 seconds