dcsimg

DP Shop Talk Videos

This topic contains 892 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peter smallerstick 6 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 893 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

I thought I would start a thread separate from the review suggestions thread where I’ll post all the DP Shop Talk videos as they are released. I’ll also post each video in a relevant existing thread if there is one.

Here is the Bandsaw Basics video that was just released today. I hope you guys find it helpful and especially those of you that requested this topic. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Nice video Dan!

Kevin.

Profile photo of Mark (Redwood)
    redwood
    Pro

That was a excellent video Dan. I learned a couple of things I hadn’t seen elsewhere. Blade drift being the main one, though I haven’t noticed a problem on my bandsaw.

One thing that I have heard that you didn’t mention, is the actual position of the blade on the wheels. You said you center the blade on the wheel. I had heard that you center the teeth on the wheel. Any thoughts on that?

Though I change my blade like you, one expert mentioned removing the table to adjust your blade guides. Allows you to see the bottom guides much easier.

On this forum, we have had the discussion whether or not to relieve the tension on the blade, when not in use. I haven’t seen mention of this in my manual or other video’s I’ve watched. May I ask where you have heard or read about this.

What happened to the mustache?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Nice video Dan!

Thanks Kevin!

That was a excellent video Dan. I learned a couple of things I hadn’t seen elsewhere. Blade drift being the main one, though I haven’t noticed a problem on my bandsaw.

One thing that I have heard that you didn’t mention, is the actual position of the blade on the wheels. You said you center the blade on the wheel. I had heard that you center the teeth on the wheel. Any thoughts on that?

Though I change my blade like you, one expert mentioned removing the table to adjust your blade guides. Allows you to see the bottom guides much easier.

On this forum, we have had the discussion whether or not to relieve the tension on the blade, when not in use. I haven’t seen mention of this in my manual or other video’s I’ve watched. May I ask where you have heard or read about this.

What happened to the mustache?

Thanks Mark! As far as blade drift goes if your saw is set up well the angle that you find for it should be pretty slight. My fence isn’t set far off of straight in the video.

I think you’ve been watching the Alex Snodgrass video. I hadn’t seen that video myself until a few days ago. He definitely had some interesting ideas and throws the text book out the window. I’ve always tracked my blades in the middle of the wheel like I said in the video and was taught that way. Putting the teeth in the middle of the wheel instead like Alex said makes sense as far as support for the teeth but I would have to experiment with it to see if it makes any difference.

As for removing the table it does make it easier to see the guides but personally I don’t think it’s worth the hassle unless you’re doing a major overhaul like I did a few years ago. It is more confined adjusting the lower guides with the table on but I’ve never found it to be that difficult especially with the remote control type adjustment knobs on the Delta saw. Again personal preference.

Taking the tension off the blade when you aren’t using the saw is something that I’ve always done and I think I first read that in the Band Saw Handbook by Mark Douginske and the Care and Repair of Shop Machines by John White that I mentioned in the video. It saves extra wear and stress on the tension spring, tires, blade and frame. Some people don’t bother but for the little bit of time it takes I’ve always figured why not.

The beard went away a couple years ago because I couldn’t get a good seal with my mask or respirator…plus my wife was getting tired of it.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have read this many times as well. Some will say it matters moreso with larger width blades and narrower ones you needn’t bother. While I keep a 3/8ths inch width blade on normally and only use wider ones as needed and immediately change back to my normal blade once I’m finished, I never untention my blade and have never had a problem in the 15 years since I’ve owned my bandsaw. Still, I don’t know what to believe.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

I have read this many times as well. Some will say it matters moreso with larger width blades and narrower ones you needn’t bother. While I keep a 3/8ths inch width blade on normally and only use wider ones as needed and immediately change back to my normal blade once I’m finished, I never untention my blade and have never had a problem in the 15 years since I’ve owned my bandsaw. Still, I don’t know what to believe.

I think there’s some truth to that Kevin. The wider the blade the more tension and therefor the more strain on the saw and components. I don’t back my tension off all the way, I just take it down to a low setting.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks, Dan, nice video.
    Looks like you’re becoming more comfortable with being in front of the camera.

I have been following Alex Snodgrass’s approach to centre the wheel at the bottom of the gullet with excellent results. Doesn’t matter much with the 1/4 and 3/8″ blades but I think it helps tracking with wider resaw blades.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Well made video Dan. Thank you for sharing with us!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I think we have the next Norm Abrams 🙂 Great video Dan !

Thanks for the detailed video on the bandsaw . Shop looks really clean and organized too .

Always willing to learn .

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice job on the video Dan.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Charles
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I had heard that you center the teeth on the wheel. Any thoughts on that?

I never run my blades with the teeth centered. The tires have a slight crown and running the teeth centered will just cause wear on the tires

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The video looks great,,
    Every great video tool guy needs a good assistant….

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I think we have the next Norm Abrams :-) Great video Dan !

He needs to add the tool safety warning at the start…..”Let’s talk a minute about shop safety…..”. Lol!

Kevin.

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Great video Dan, looking forward to others you create. Very informative and I will reference when the time comes to overhaul my bandsaw.

Have you any thoughts on the 6″ extensions that are on the market?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the comments and feedback.

I think we have the next Norm Abrams :-) Great video Dan !

lol thanks John. If you look close at the wall in the background you’ll see an autographed black & white picture of Norm. He sent that to me years ago when I was in junior high and was writing a biography on him for a school project.

The video looks great,,
    Every great video tool guy needs a good assistant….

Thanks Dirty, maybe Pamela will join me for an episode or two… 😛

Great video Dan, looking forward to others you create. Very informative and I will reference when the time comes to overhaul my bandsaw.

Have you any thoughts on the 6″ extensions that are on the market?

Thanks Frank. I have looked at the frame extensions before but since the standard frame height has done just about all of my cutting needs I’ve never bothered. Adding a riser block takes away from some of the rigidity of the frame too. I think if I needed to do a lot of tall resawing or cutting thick stock I would probably get a bigger bandsaw. On the topic of frames, when I did the tear down I took the joint apart in the frame and scraped all the paint off on the mating surfaces like John White shows. It was amazing the difference that makes in how solid the joint in the frame is and overall vibration.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

On the topic of frames, when I did the tear down I took the joint apart in the frame and scraped all the paint off on the mating surfaces like John White shows. It was amazing the difference that makes in how solid the joint in the frame is and overall vibration.

Dan, Thanks.
    I will make sure I take a wire wheel to the joint areas of the frame when I have it all apart. I did buy an extension for it and will insert it. Guess I’ll see then how stable the frame is. If I fell it isn’t working well I can easily take it out.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks Dirty, maybe Pamela will join me for an episode or two…

NOoooo she’s too old already,, you need to find a fresh new one.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

On the topic of frames, when I did the tear down I took the joint apart in the frame and scraped all the paint off on the mating surfaces like John White shows. It was amazing the difference that makes in how solid the joint in the frame is and overall vibration.

Thanks for that, Dan, it’s something I would not have considered. Hard to imagine why those surfaces would be painted in the first place.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great video, i learned something new. I’ve never set up the fence on a bandsaw before, all the previous bandsaws didn’t have a fence.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 893 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 5.368 seconds