dcsimg

DP Shop Talk Videos – V2

This topic contains 242 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  woodman_412 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 243 total)
  • Author

woodman_412

So most of you guys already know the big news about us moving in a few weeks and moving my shop space too. But I just released a quick video that announces that but also gives a full tour of my existing shop space. I wanted to do that as a final farewell to the original DP Shop Talk workshop and also give a point of reference to how I set up the new shop. Hope you guys enjoy the tour and let me know if you have any questions about the shop!

Dan

danpattison.com

So most of you guys already know the big news about us moving in a few weeks and moving my shop space too. But I just released a quick video that announces that but also gives a full tour of my existing shop space. I wanted to do that as a final farewell to the original DP Shop Talk workshop and also give a point of reference to how I set up the new shop. Hope you guys enjoy the tour and let me know if you have any questions about the shop!

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/0DT9iK1gKhg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That would be a difficult shop to leave. Good luck

Thanks for the tour. What I wouldn’t give to have that much room, and you’re expanding. Wow, you must be looking forward to that.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie
    Pro

Nice tour Dan. I have a Ridgid DP too and have been very happy with it. I also just swapped my old Delta BS fence for the Kreg.

The Kreg is OK imo, but it isn’t perfect. I still need to add some kind of a rail on the back side of my platten to keep the fence from droppping when it is to the left and no longer supported by the platten. Surprised Kreg didn’t supply such a bar, but Kreg is known in my experience of making things that aren’t quite a hundred percent.

I also replaced my lock down knob with another smaller one. I didn’t like theirs much. Just last nite I went and ordered the 7in resaw guide and the Micro-adjust accessory. I have a micro adjust on my Excalibur TS fence and it has come in very handy at times, so I figure it will also come in handy having a similar one on the BS, possibly moreso.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks for the shop tour. Good luck with the move and enjoy your new shop.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dan great video, really enjoyed it. The new place sounds nice double the area, 2 floors, former cabinet shop, sounds perfect.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

That would be a difficult shop to leave. Good luck

Thanks Eric. I’m finding it much easier to leave this shop than my shop that I built in PEI. I had a lot more of myself invested in the PEI shop since I designed and built it from scratch. This shop I did some work to but not nearly as much.

Nice tour Dan. I have a Ridgid DP too and have been very happy with it. I also just swapped my old Delta BS fence for the Kreg.

The Kreg is OK imo, but it isn’t perfect. I still need to add some kind of a rail on the back side of my platten to keep the fence from droppping when it is to the left and no longer supported by the platten. Surprised Kreg didn’t supply such a bar, but Kreg is known in my experience of making things that aren’t quite a hundred percent.

I also replaced my lock down knob with another smaller one. I didn’t like theirs much. Just last nite I went and ordered the 7in resaw guide and the Micro-adjust accessory. I have a micro adjust on my Excalibur TS fence and it has come in very handy at times, so I figure it will also come in handy having a similar one on the BS, possibly moreso.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Kreg fence Kevin. I haven’t used it extensively but I’ve been happy with it overall. Definitely beats clamping a board to the table like I used to lol.

Thanks for the shop tour. Good luck with the move and enjoy your new shop.

Thanks Greg!

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie
    Pro

Can I guess that you are furiously packing things up for the big move for the next while? Good luck with all that. Moving is a PITA, but with a new shop twice the size and that upper loft office area you’ll have you described, I’ll bet you’re pretty excited to get in there. I can’t wait to see pics of that new shop you’ll have.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

awesome tour Dan – looking forward to your new shop

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can’t wait to see pics of that new shop you’ll have.

Looking forward to that as well. Twice the floor space will be nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/0DT9iK1gKhg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Must be tough to leave a shop like that one. Looking forward to seeing the new one and following the setup.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Can I guess that you are furiously packing things up for the big move for the next while? Good luck with all that. Moving is a PITA, but with a new shop twice the size and that upper loft office area you’ll have you described, I’ll bet you’re pretty excited to get in there. I can’t wait to see pics of that new shop you’ll have.

Yes I really like the idea of having a loft area for office. I could use that as man cave. Plus twice the shop space is great bonus too.

Greg

woodman_412

Your guess is right Kevin! I got quite a bit done packing up the shop yesterday and posted a pic of the progress on Instagram. I’m really looking forward to getting into the new space and setting up there. I think it will be a great fit.

Must be tough to leave a shop like that one. Looking forward to seeing the new one and following the setup.

I’m actually finding that leaving this shop space behind is much easier than when I had to leave my shop in PEI behind Peter. This space was rented where as my shop in PEI I built with my own hands and custom designed it. I have all kinds of ideas flowing in my head for new content in the new shop so I’m excited to get in there.

Yes I really like the idea of having a loft area for office. I could use that as man cave. Plus twice the shop space is great bonus too.

The loft area will be great. It will be nice to have an office space that is separate from the house so that I can get some quiet when I’m working. With the girls being 5 and 3 there isn’t usually much quiet to be had in the house lol.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very nice shop setup!! With all the moving you must be getting it very refined.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

With the girls being 5 and 3 there isn’t usually much quiet to be had in the house lol.

I can see the loft being useful to get that quiet time to plan any new projects.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Your guess is right Kevin! I got quite a bit done packing up the shop yesterday and posted a pic of the progress on Instagram. I’m really looking forward to getting into the new space and setting up there. I think it will be a great fit.

I’m actually finding that leaving this shop space behind is much easier than when I had to leave my shop in PEI behind Peter. This space was rented where as my shop in PEI I built with my own hands and custom designed it. I have all kinds of ideas flowing in my head for new content in the new shop so I’m excited to get in there.

The loft area will be great. It will be nice to have an office space that is separate from the house so that I can get some quiet when I’m working. With the girls being 5 and 3 there isn’t usually much quiet to be had in the house lol.

Yeah I know what you mean with a quiet house. My girls are 6 & 7. LOL!!

Greg

Doobie
    Pro

Sounds like it. Twice the shop space and a fancy schmancy office loft. You deserve it Dan! You’re just a great guy as far as I’m concerned. You just shine in the way you do things. Fingers crossed with moving. Moving is always an adventure often fraught with unexpected stuff. Hope yours goes smoothly. You doin the heavy liftin with some buds/family, or did you hire movers?

I’ll assume you know about the moving expense deduction you may be eligible for on your tax return? Keep all your receipts/expenses and look over the rules if you are eligible. It adds up as a nice deduction quite often, but be forewarned, the CRA almost always audits them. And for good reason, people often screw it up. I had one two years ago that was worth $12K in less taxes owing for a client that sold their house and moved from Ontario back home to where you are in Nova Scotia. Silly client went and misplaced all their proof and spent endless hours getting duplicates and proof otherwise despite me telling them that they were likely gonna get audited. It all worked out, but it took close to half a year to get it all straightened out meanwhile clients had a lot of sleepless nights in between.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So Dan how is the packing coming along?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

Very nice shop setup!! With all the moving you must be getting it very refined.

Thanks Dirty. It’s true that when you have to move shops and work out of different spaces you know what works and what doesn’t and refine the design and layout as you go.

Yeah I know what you mean with a quiet house. My girls are 6 & 7. LOL!!

lol yeah I can imagine that your house wouldn’t be any quieter than ours

Sounds like it. Twice the shop space and a fancy schmancy office loft. You deserve it Dan! You’re just a great guy as far as I’m concerned. You just shine in the way you do things. Fingers crossed with moving. Moving is always an adventure often fraught with unexpected stuff. Hope yours goes smoothly. You doin the heavy liftin with some buds/family, or did you hire movers?

I’ll assume you know about the moving expense deduction you may be eligible for on your tax return? Keep all your receipts/expenses and look over the rules if you are eligible. It adds up as a nice deduction quite often, but be forewarned, the CRA almost always audits them. And for good reason, people often screw it up. I had one two years ago that was worth $12K in less taxes owing for a client that sold their house and moved from Ontario back home to where you are in Nova Scotia. Silly client went and misplaced all their proof and spent endless hours getting duplicates and proof otherwise despite me telling them that they were likely gonna get audited. It all worked out, but it took close to half a year to get it all straightened out meanwhile clients had a lot of sleepless nights in between.

Thanks for the kind words Kevin! We’re going to be doing the moving ourselves. I’m going to try and premove some stuff before moving day if possible to spread things out a bit. I think it will end up being myself, my dad, my brother-in-law and my wife to do the moving. After moving a few times in the last few years we have it down to a science now lol. We’re hoping that this will be the last move for a long time though!

We definitely claim the moving expenses on our taxes. My wife takes care of all of that and does all of my book keeping for me. Couldn’t do it without her!

So Dan how is the packing coming along?

I haven’t had a chance to do anymore packing since last weekend Bill. I got a good chunk of the shop packed up last weekend though and hope to get more done this weekend. I’ve been working on site all week so I haven’t been in the shop at all through the week.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been working on site all week so I haven’t been in the shop at all through the week.

That has to be tough, working and still packing. Hopefully you won’t pack something you need.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 243 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.803 seconds