dcsimg

Door Wraps

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Ya i wont cover a jamb in metal. If maintained you shouldnt need to, if not maintained the owner doesnt care so its cheaper to install a new contractor grade prehung.

Id rather just replace rather than cover

I believe Andrew is talking about cladding new doors, not older, existing ones.

I still don’t know Why???

@DirtyWhiteBoy we wrap door jambs so that they don’t have to be painted. Also it is a way to ad some additional moisture protection. It seems to be more common in areas that get colder weather. Cold temps wreak havoc on painted wood.

Oh,, I guess the coil stock is easier to paint?? We over here are using nonwood products these days.

@DirtyWhiteBoy it must be something more common to some areas vs others. The coil stock comes with a pretty durable finish on it. You use a color that matches either the trim color or siding color. You are not painting it after.

As far as non-wood products we have and use, that would be LP Smart Trim, Miratec, Azek, other PVC type trims, and cement fiber trims. They get used by us depending on the existing house on remodels and depending on the exterior finish being used on new work.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I cover them up in aluminum.
    I hate those stock doors sold by the big stores that come up with the jambs covered in vinyl. It takes a lot more time to install them.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have done a few windows and doors here and there on houses but most of the time I was doing new pole barns .

JackR
    Pro

I have wrapped exterior jambs on occasion but mostly just the brick mold. I have also installed doors with the jamb capped from the factory.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Cold temps wreak havoc on painted wood.

I was painting my brick molding and window trim every other year. Finally got tired of it had it all clad in aluminum. No more painting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

overanalyze wrote:Cold temps wreak havoc on painted wood.

No matter the paint I was painting my brick molding and window trim every other year. Finally got tired of it had it all clad in aluminum. No more painting.

Exactly. This is why we wrap them if they aren’t PVC or extruded aluminum. They do dent but most people prefer that to peeling paint.

Andrew

redwood
    Pro

Never seen it out here in Calif., though I’m sure someone does it. Kind of like vinyl, I never see vinyl siding.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Never seen it out here in Calif., though I’m sure someone does it. Kind of like vinyl, I never see vinyl siding.

We are a lot like cali too. that stuff doesn’t fly because it gives the little bugs a place to eat out of view.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We are a lot like cali too. that stuff doesn’t fly because it gives the little bugs a place to eat out of view.

I always thought vinyl wasn’t used because of the climate/heat…but bugs make sense. You’ve mentioned how much of a problem they are around you Dirty..I think it’s less of a problem here because it we are below freezing for a few months of the year and the little buggers die off.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I always thought vinyl wasn’t used because of the climate/heat…but bugs make sense. You’ve mentioned how much of a problem they are around you Dirty..I think it’s less of a problem here because it we are below freezing for a few months of the year and the little buggers die off.

Yeah the winter freeze definitely kills off quite a bit. A poorly installed wrap will trap moisture too and hide a bunch of unknown damage too.

Andrew

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here I covered the jamb and part of the stone wall. The total width was 15 1/4. At least 1/2 hour for each jamb because of the contour of the stone.

@Sorpa those look great! That had to be a pain to scribe all that. In the past when I have ran into a spot like that I will see if I can cut a groove in the stone/brick with a diamond wheel to let the aluminum slip into. Then I use a color match caulk or grout caulk to seal up that joint.

Andrew

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Yeah, painful to say the least. Install, scribe, cut, install, scribe cut.Rinse and repeat many times until it fits perfectly.
    I found this scribing tool

Neat idea. Pretty expensive though but for this cases I think it’s the only tool that could help to speed up the installation.

http://scribe-tool.com/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yeah, painful to say the least. Install, scribe, cut, install, scribe cut.Rinse and repeat many times until it fits perfectly.
    I found this scribing tool

Great scribing!! I like that tool. I need to look into one of those.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice scribe. May have to look into one.
    Nice job you did on that door jamb also.

@Sorpa wow great work on those , and that is a good find with that scribe tool.

Nice work!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thank you guys!
    I was thinking to buy that scriber but suddenly a Stabila torpedo jumped on me and $80 CAD later she was mine. Mind the pronoun 🙂

I always thought that painting was the best option when it came to exterior steel doors. The aluminum wrap is so much better all around. Great job

Nice job on your folds @overanalyze .Your technique on marking is point on . I’ve been capping Door frames , window frames , soffit work for years too . Nothing gets painted really here . With pvc still a bit pricey for whole house jobs aluminum still takes the lead .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.438 seconds