dcsimg

Door Wraps

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • Author

How many pro’s out there wrap/cover your exterior door jambs with aluminum coil stock?

We try and up sell extruded or pvc jambs but that doesn’t always happen. Also when doing retro siding work it is very common for us to wrap the jambs and brickmold with aluminum.

I try and do a one piece bend whenever possible to keep it from getting wavy and to keep moisture intrusion to a minimum. Here is a couple shots of today’s wrap. It is a bit tricky to bend and requires a little thinking to get the bend order right.

I was taught to layout all my bends on the back side of the metal. Reverse bends get the line through the mark, cuts get circled. Then I snip a little bit on the reverse bends so I know where they are at when I flip the metal.

Let see some metal work..simple…complex..doesn’t matter.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That looks real nice and you did a great job.
    My problem with it is they always get dented.
    Can they be done in vinyl ?

That looks real nice and you did a great job.
    My problem with it is they always get dented.
    Can they be done in vinyl ?

That is the biggest downside @roninohio. I tape cardboard to them once I wrap them to protect them until we are done. I find if the bends are tight to the jamb and brickmold it helps prevent some dents.

I know there was bendable vinyl years ago but I think expansion and contraction makes it a bad choice. Aluminum can be bad enough at times.

We just tried extruded aluminum jambs and brickmold on our overhead garage doors. Those are really nice and very thick!

Andrew

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Nice job on the metal OA. I like to wrap my door jambs and brick mold in metal, it really prolongs the life. I was taught to lay out metal the same way – hate seeing pencil marks on the front side.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

Josh, one of the guys that work with me did this Andrew when we put the door in on the current deck. I ended up having to deal with the concrete that day due to other guy breaking corner off…but when he gets back from Florida will get his pics from him. He wrapped everything he could inside and out of those doorjambs with metal not the pvc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That needs to be next on my list to learn because ive got another sunroom with another door install coming up.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How many pro’s out there wrap/cover your exterior door jambs with aluminum coil stock?

We never wrap over here so I have to ask why??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its very very rare that we clad door jambs.. 99% of the time we replace the door altogether with a new one… the other 1% its left as is .. might see some fresh paint.. as for protecting doors though we will put ridgid foam over new doors and cardboard in order to prevent damage and more often than not we wait as long as possible to install the front entry door so that trades dont use it for coming and going

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We clad all of our exterior doors unless they are extruded jambs. Front doors are typically extruded, other exterior doors are typically wood jambs that are wrapped.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Ya i wont cover a jamb in metal. If maintained you shouldnt need to, if not maintained the owner doesnt care so its cheaper to install a new contractor grade prehung.

Id rather just replace rather than cover

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Ya i wont cover a jamb in metal. If maintained you shouldnt need to, if not maintained the owner doesnt care so its cheaper to install a new contractor grade prehung.

I believe Andrew is talking about cladding new doors, not older, existing ones.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I still don’t know Why???

Dirty

Doobie

Been thinking of making a break. Anybody make their own they want to show. They’re so expensive to buy.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.mark-ii-trim-master.1000739910.html

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice work Andrew, To get it tight up against the original framing. Definitely would take patience to do that.
    My entrance way is aluminum clad but I know the guys did not do as good a job on it as yours.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@DirtyWhiteBoy
    we wrap door jambs so that they don’t have to be painted. Also it is a way to ad some additional moisture protection. It seems to be more common in areas that get colder weather. Cold temps wreak havoc on painted wood.

Andrew

Actually we will clad an older door if we are doing a siding job. Sometimes the wood is in ok shape but the owner just wants to freshen it up without painting it.

I still prefer a PVC capped or extruded aluminum jamb over a wrapped wood jamb but we still wrap quite a few doors because that is what people want.

Andrew

My garage door doorway is aluminum clad, but has a small rip in it. I need to (one day) either replace it or remove it entirely

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Actually we will clad an older door if we are doing a siding job. Sometimes the wood is in ok shape but the owner just wants to freshen it up without painting it.

I still prefer a PVC capped or extruded aluminum jamb over a wrapped wood jamb but we still wrap quite a few doors because that is what people want.

I would say I have probably clad more old doors than I have new. Most of the new doors have put in over the last few years have been pvc capped. Or the HO wanted to keep things as cheap as possible…you know, the ones who don’t even bother to paint the jamb or slab of the cheap prehung they got at HD.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I have done a little bit of work with an aluminium brake, but it didn’t turn out as nice as yours. Yours is art compared to what I did. Nice!!!!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@DirtyWhiteBoy we wrap door jambs so that they don’t have to be painted. Also it is a way to ad some additional moisture protection. It seems to be more common in areas that get colder weather. Cold temps wreak havoc on painted wood.

Oh,, I guess the coil stock is easier to paint?? We over here are using nonwood products these days.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.556 seconds