dcsimg

Does Bosch have a die grinder or rotary product strategy?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am a bit confused.

I am trying to decide if I need a die grinder. I don’t have one right now, and I do have two Dremels (both corded) for some occasional uses that no other tools can do.

Some examples are:

(1) Cutting off a seized nut on an old toilet bolt where the porcelain skirt of the toilet is less than an inch away.
    (2) Lengthening or widening slightly a door lock metal strike plate while avoiding overcuts.
    (3) Cutting a metal or plastic pipe when the point of cutting is recessed into the wall and you want to cut from the inside of the pipe.
    (4) bath tub drain strainer removal when the cross bars are corroded away.
    and more…

I have to say, I have been very disappointed with Dremel, the product seems to be on a downhill slide, and the new units are LARGER in size but less in performance, and there is some sort of a thermal cut off that will prevent the tool for being used more than 5 minutes of continuous use. It gets too hot to touch and cuts off, and I have replaced it twice and still no help. I think it’s a design flaw and I am done.

I am wondering if Bosch has one. The closest one I see is sold in Europe a very old 10.4ah die grinder. There doesn’t seem to be anything current or new, at least in NA.

Yet they own Dremel, who hasn’t improved except to expand their product line with slight variations of the same tool, with different numbers of “accessories” and made them different SKU kits.

They also own rotozip, who seems to be in an idle position as well.

These are more or less similar tools. Is Bosch coming out any time soon with something that will leverage the stuff from all these companies they own?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Dremel. I have never had any problem with a thermal cut-off. I did some testing for Dremel on a new model coming out and did not run into any problems with it cutting out in continuous use.

You are right there seems to be little to no new development in cordless die grinders. I think the problem is battery life. In constant use a cordless battery will not last very long cutting. Unable to over come that i think they have put these types of projects on the back burner.

You can check eBay for a new older model cordless Dremel with more power. I sometimes do that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use a Bosch die grinder in woodworking. They have a nice model made in Germany with variable speed. Great for sculpting and shaping wood and getting in tight places. Working metal and they are indispensable deburring and smoothing welds.

Orange County, CA

I use a Bosch die grinder in woodworking. They have a nice model made in Germany with variable speed. Great for sculpting and shaping wood and getting in tight places. Working metal and they are indispensable deburring and smoothing welds.

Is that cordless or corded

Milwaukee has a great pair of cordless 12v die grinders. One is in in-line and the other is 90 degree. They also have a 12v cordless rotary tool. I have one of the die grinders and the rotary tool and have been very pleased with them.

I have a corded version. I got it when I was making a Making inspired dining set and it was the ticket. Cannot recall the model offhand, but it has variable speed which is key for certain bits and material. Works great on metal too and smoothing welds in corners or inside pipes or square tubing.

Orange County, CA

I have a corded version. I got it when I was making a Making inspired dining set and it was the ticket. Cannot recall the model offhand, but it has variable speed which is key for certain bits and material. Works great on metal too and smoothing welds in corners or inside pipes or square tubing.

Nice 👍 , is it a 1/4 colet , is it the blue Bosch or the green from Europe.

Kamster
    Pro

I’m going to get a corded Makita die grinder in the not too distant future to use for woodworking with a Kutzall sphere rotary burr. I’m amazed at how many models of die grinders that Makita offers. They even have a model with a paddle switch

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have a cordless Makita die grinder. I really like it. I wish it had a paddle switch on it.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Yep…1/4 inch so it works with standard tooling.

Orange County, CA

Bosh can really produce products that can please the world with hand tools. I mean it’s pretty good both in terms of price and performance. Ive made a promise to myself lately that I’ll use it, too. It is an invaluable favor for me when I cannot reach a wide variety of products.

Yep…1/4 inch so it works with standard tooling.

Nice , their are lots of 1/4 inch accessories available all over the net.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.294 seconds