dcsimg

does anyone ever have success with hiring guys through Craigslist?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Author

there’s really nowhere else to find guys. the old method was running an ad in the paper. CL is the 2014 version of that.

Yes but it hasn’t improved the quality of the guys coming for the job.

Is there another tool forum (CT?) of sorts that gets enough activity to be able to help you find a quality guy?

CL is such a hit/miss system – riddled with sketchy deals and scammers now. For your guys’ sakes, I wish there was a better way.

nope. CT has a “help wanted/looking for work” section. i posted in there looking for guys a few months ago and didn’t get a single reply.

like i said, posting an ad in the paper used to be the standard. and back then, it wasn’t hard to find good guys that way. i don’t think its craigslist so much as its the job market/this generation. theres just a very short supply of skilled carpenters nowadays since everyone goes to college to sit at a desk and get fat.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I hired one from CL and he worked out ok. It was just a one day job I needed help for. Had 3 people apply went with the first one. His email said he was a hard worker…. he did the bare minimum had to leave early and told my employee that contractors usually pay him $300-$400 a day. Not sure what he expected but my ad said $9 hr.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

$3-400 a day?! what a liar. though $9/hr is slave wages. even green laborers get $10-12 around here

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I paid more than $9hr.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I don’t know how many are anywhere close to military bases, but there are always guy’s and girls getting out looking for work. May be an option for some. The program that helps them transition from the military to civilian life is called ACAP and may be worth a look.

I don’t know how many are anywhere close to military bases, but there are always guy’s and girls getting out looking for work. May be an option for some. The program that helps them transition from the military to civilian life is called ACAP and may be worth a look.

I have inexperienced people asking for jobs all the time. don’t need to go to a base for that. our issue is finding guys who know what they’re doing. we run a lean efficient crew.

theres just a very short supply of skilled carpenters nowadays since everyone goes to college to sit at a desk and get fat.

I think this is the most likely culprit behind why it is so hard for so many of you to find good workers. Sure, some people in my generation are not as hard working as they should be, but a lot of it is simply that there are nowhere near enough young people in the trades.

Maybe there should be some sort of online network of skilled pros (like LinkedIn) who can recommend different workers and help establish a better network for everyone involved.

John S

been running an ad for the past few months and we now have 2 really good guys for a really good rate from craigslist. but neither have a car, and to find those 2 guys we brought in and tossed a dozen idiots plus had a dozen no-shows. its like finding a needle in a haystack.

make that 1 guy. who’s been around for a few months now. guy #2 came in 2 weeks ago and seemed really good for a little while….then he started walking around the job all day talking shit on everyone on our crew. yeah, that’s a good way to keep your job. cause we really want a negative/hostile work environment. and diarrhea mouth had previously told me how he was hoping we could keep him busy since everyone else gets rid of him after 2 weeks and he butts heads with all of his “friends” who run framing crews. gee, I wonder why. this guy is 42 years old. maybe one day he’ll wake up and get a clue. but probably not.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

old me how he was hoping we could keep him busy since everyone else gets rid of him after 2 weeks and he butts heads with all of his “friends” who run framing crews. gee, I wonder why. this guy is 42 years old. maybe one day he’ll wake up and get a clue. but probably not.

Probably not. Hasn’t figured out he is the problem. Same in the automotive world you get the guys that change jobs every few months. They start out like gang busters but after a few weeks you see why they are so mobile. Lots of baggage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

tried to bring in 3 guys yesterday. 1 showed up. good thing one of our best guys called yesterday and said he’s coming back on Monday (he was out for a month after having a gallstone removed). and he might be able to bring 2 guys with him.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I use current contacts, WOM, craigslist, Kijiji, indeed, agencies, linkedin and google to find prospective sites and projects/employment

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

tried to bring in 3 guys yesterday. 1 showed up. good thing one of our best guys called yesterday and said he’s coming back on Monday (he was out for a month after having a gallstone removed). and he might be able to bring 2 guys with him.

Ain’t that the truth. Try to get 3 one shows. No wonder they are looking for work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ain’t that the truth. Try to get 3 one shows. No wonder they are looking for work.

one of the guys who no-showed wanted $250/day guaranteed. told him to come in and work and we’d see since there’s no way we’re gonna guarantee that kind of money without seeing how you work first. guess he knew we would see though his bullshit and not wanna give it to him so he didn’t bother.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

one of the guys who no-showed wanted $250/day guaranteed. told him to come in and work and we’d see since there’s no way we’re gonna guarantee that kind of money without seeing how you work first. guess he knew we would see though his bullshit and not wanna give it to him so he didn’t bother.

I hate that. I tell everybody that the first day they will make $12 an hour and at the end of the first day we will sit and discuss what their actual wage will be. I have found that most times I will know by lunch if the guy is worth a crap or not.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

honestly you can usually tell within the first 10 minutes by the way he handles a tape measure, swings a hammer, etc.

it’s crazy how many guys want lead guy money when they’re barely competent enough to work unsupervised let alone run a job.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

honestly you can usually tell within the first 10 minutes by the way he handles a tape measure, swings a hammer, etc.

it’s crazy how many guys want lead guy money when they’re barely competent enough to work unsupervised let alone run a job.

You aren’t kidding! Last summer I interviewed a guy that said he wanted at least $20 an hour and then showed up on site with a hammer, a tape, and a plastic speed square all jammed into a pair of pants – didn’t own a tool belt, said he didn’t need one.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

You aren’t kidding! Last summer I interviewed a guy that said he wanted at least $20 an hour and then showed up on site with a hammer, a tape, and a plastic speed square all jammed into a pair of pants – didn’t own a tool belt, said he didn’t need one.

not sure if thats better or worse than the guy who showed up this summer to work on our production framing crew wheeling a brand new milwaukee toolcart with a brand new paslode cordless framer, brand new skilsaw, and a bunch of other stuff he maxed out his credit card at home depot on and then proceeded to work in the slowest, most ass-backward, ineffecient manner i’ve ever seen before. wanted to kick him off the job ASAP but waited til lunch time and i wish i hadn’t.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

At least he didn’t have a saw jammed in there too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

At least he didn’t have a saw jammed in there too.

If he had owned a saw it probably would been there. The hammer, tape, and speed square were the only tools he had – didn’t even have a utility knife…..

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but waited til lunch time and i wish i hadn’t.

Sometimes half a guy is better than no guy at all. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.476 seconds