dcsimg

does anyone ever have success with hiring guys through Craigslist?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

kinnelon, morris county. I’ve driven down the shore for work plenty of times, though. in the fall we had 2 weeks off between jobs so I spent it driving down to Keansburg to work on lifting storm houses for some random builder via craigslist. I was driving hour- hour and a half and his guys lived 5 minutes away and I still beat them to the job every day. him and his lead guy were begging me to stay. he still calls me.

thats a long drive to here, i just looked it up, plus side is you would be opposite of parkway traffic, south in AM when people head north and north in PM when people head south lol

brick isn’t bad at all. once in a while I do work for a friend in Freehold and that’s the worst cause it’s like 30 mins on rt 9. brick is all parkway. gravy.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m surprised that no one has looked on indeed.com. My wife has looked at it before. You can post that you are looking there, and also look at resume’s. Don’t know if it is any better than craigslist, but I guess it is worth a shot. I almost had to use it to find someone using it.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I haven’t had any long term help that came from craigslist.

I need a better way to find good candidates

wish I new the magic spot for good help.

just posted another ad the other day. we’ll see how this goes.

I agree with the overall sentiment. A lot of emails, a lot of talking about how good they are and never show up/stop responding/ don’t know chit

It’s a crap shoot . Weather temp , Craigslist , Newspapers , unemployment office . Just have to vet the worker throw background checks , previous employer etc . . .

I’m a big believer in working interviews . You see how they work with others and yourself first hand .

Always willing to learn .

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m a big believer in working interviews . You see how they work with others and yourself first hand .

I’m the same way. I know a guy that talked a good game, that was until I put him on a ladder and he almost pissed himself.

I’m the same way. I know a guy that talked a good game, that was until I put him on a ladder and he almost pissed himself.

this is virtually every guy we bring in. but substitute ladder for floor joists/ceiling beams.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

Still no luck for me.

been running an ad for the past few months and we now have 2 really good guys for a really good rate from craigslist. but neither have a car, and to find those 2 guys we brought in and tossed a dozen idiots plus had a dozen no-shows. its like finding a needle in a haystack.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

It’s frustrating as hell, Have plenty of work, just My Kid & Me
    plus the employee of the week (so it seems)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

this is virtually every guy we bring in. but substitute ladder for floor joists/ceiling beams.

What do they tie off to when walking floor joist/ceiling beams?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

What do they tie off to when walking floor joist/ceiling beams?

There wouldn’t be much of anything to tie off to.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is amazing what is out there to be hired. What with no transportation, then endless court cases that require time off, not mention endless “personal” problems that need attention, it is no wonder these people are unemployed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

been running an ad for the past few months and we now have 2 really good guys for a really good rate from craigslist. but neither have a car, and to find those 2 guys we brought in and tossed a dozen idiots plus had a dozen no-shows. its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Well, glad it finally panned out for you, but it sounds like it took quite a while and wasn’t without its downsides. Would you try using craigslist again?

John S

Well, glad it finally panned out for you, but it sounds like it took quite a while and wasn’t without its downsides. Would you try using craigslist again?

there’s really nowhere else to find guys. the old method was running an ad in the paper. CL is the 2014 version of that.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

there’s really nowhere else to find guys. the old method was running an ad in the paper. CL is the 2014 version of that.

Yes but it hasn’t improved the quality of the guys coming for the job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

No, it hasn’t. I wonder why some of those guys even bother looking and responding to ads – if you bring them on it is obvious they don’t want to work.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Is there another tool forum (CT?) of sorts that gets enough activity to be able to help you find a quality guy?

CL is such a hit/miss system – riddled with sketchy deals and scammers now. For your guys’ sakes, I wish there was a better way.

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.693 seconds