dcsimg

does anyone ever have success with hiring guys through Craigslist?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Zero luck. Not worth it to me. I have no other ideas though. It’s tough finding anyone for anything.

we’ve had a craigslist guy working the past few days but he’s pretty much gotten worse as the days pass and gonna can him. he actually knows what he’s doing, but like a lot of guys who come to us who actually know what they’re doing they have egos and are incredibly stubborn and think their way of doing things is the only way and refuse to listen to anything we say. he’s also just slow and lazy. have another guy coming in tomorrow who will hopefully be better.

I have actually been on the other end looking for work. Not full time stuff, i have a great job now but side jobs. I had to answer a ton of adds and a bunch of people i did not want to work for or jobs that never called back so its the same for the good guys on the other end as well. But i did end up working for two contractors that keep me busy even now two years later. when they have small stuff that they cant get to or punch list stuff they give me a call and i usually take care of it after work. So all i can say is eventually you will find what you’re looking for but for every bad email you get the good guy you want sent the same amount to hacks no one would want to work for.

I have actually been on the other end looking for work. Not full time stuff, i have a great job now but side jobs. I had to answer a ton of adds and a bunch of people i did not want to work for or jobs that never called back so its the same for the good guys on the other end as well. But i did end up working for two contractors that keep me busy even now two years later. when they have small stuff that they cant get to or punch list stuff they give me a call and i usually take care of it after work. So all i can say is eventually you will find what you’re looking for but for every bad email you get the good guy you want sent the same amount to hacks no one would want to work for.

I see you’re also from NJ. honestly the only good guys we can find around here are Spanish guys. every white/american guy we bring in has an ego or attitude or just no work ethic or plain doesn’t havve a clue what they’re doing. and they all want like $10/hr more than they’re worth.

a big thing I’ve noticed is, when it comes time to negotiate pay these american guys say how much they “need to pay bills” and cry about how they have a kid or a wife or whatever like they’re the only person in the world who has to pay bills and its at all our problem or relevant to what they’re worth on a jobsite. when Spanish guys negotiate pay they just state how hard they hustle and what they can do. then you find out 3 months later through conversation at lunch that the guy has 3 kids and whatever. had an american kid last year claim he “needed $20/hr to pay his bills” and he was a single guy with no kids who lived with his sister rent-free. and was worth like $15. it’s just so frustrating.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I would never hire off a posting online.

I like the ads who look for some one to put down hard wood floors, but only pay $100 for a days work.

The only time I hired some day laborers was at a mens homeless shelter. They did work hard loading a big truck with heavy beams. Never whined and said thanks when they got paid. I said thanks also.

Ever notice how all the guys with no money have a smartphone and tat’s.

then how else do you hire? we get most of our guys through other guys who work for us or have in the past but most of those guys don’t drive and it’s a hassle cause if the guy who drives them is sick none of them can come in.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

then how else do you hire? we get most of our guys through other guys who work for us or have in the past but most of those guys don’t drive and it’s a hassle cause if the guy who drives them is sick none of them can come in.

I think you need a new source for employees and employee referrals!

I think you need a new source for employees and employee referrals!

what an insightful and useful post.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

A good guy is hard to find. All I find are unskilled labor and even at just being labor they suck.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Around here a good unskilled guy is impossible to find, in fact that guy is doing labor for not very long if he’s good he’s moved up the chain pretty quick. It’s hard to find a guy that can sweep a floor without screwing it up or quitting. Maybe I’m just old and grumpy.

A good guy is hard to find. All I find are unskilled labor and even at just being labor they suck.

I should message you my number in case you ever need an extra guy on a Saturday or something. brick’s not a bad drive to make once in a while and it’d give me an opportunity to swim in the ocean after work. love working with different guys once in a while.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

You named your problem.

I gave you something to think about that you’re obviously not doing. Sorry you didn’t like it:-(

I think I see now why you have such a hard time….

You named your problem.

I gave you something to think about that you’re obviously not doing. Sorry you didn’t like it:-(

you told me I need a new source for employees. NO SHIT, SHERLOCK. but you didn’t suggest a new source, so your post is useless.

Guys’ resumes are always supremely embellished on Craigslist. At least that has been my experience. I have never hired from CL but probably wouldn’t pursue that as a real hiring avenue in the future.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

you’d have to ask my boss. He hired me from craigslist. Been there three years today as a matter of fact.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

you’d have to ask my boss. He hired me from craigslist. Been there three years today as a matter of fact.

Nice! I do know of some guys that have found work there, but it really is a needle in a haystack I think – sounds like it turned out alright for you. Congrats on a good 3 year gig!

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

You named your problem.

you told me I need a new source for employees. NO SHIT, SHERLOCK. but you didn’t suggest a new source, so your post is useless.

Sorry to offend you. Didn’t mean to. I was giving you credit for being able to think for yourself.

Trade schools, network with other contractors who are not as busy as you (share workers), talk to your suppliers to see if they know of guys who are looking. You might have to go outside your area to draw someone in. Up your pay scale? I don’t know what you’re paying, so not sure if it’s competitive enough.

I do know it’s a challenge everywhere. It just requires that we get creative.

I don’t have any desire to antagonize or carry this further. I just wanted you to know I wasn’t trying to be a jerk here.

our payscale is plenty competitive. we just always get guys who want $20-25 an hour and are glorified helpers.

had 2 guys who were supposed to come in yesterday no call and no show. one guy never asked about pay and the other guy told us what he wanted and we told him it was more than reasonable and he’d get it. I don’t know what else you have to do to get guys to wanna work.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I should message you my number in case you ever need an extra guy on a Saturday or something. brick’s not a bad drive to make once in a while and it’d give me an opportunity to swim in the ocean after work. love working with different guys once in a while.

Where you from?

kinnelon, morris county. I’ve driven down the shore for work plenty of times, though. in the fall we had 2 weeks off between jobs so I spent it driving down to Keansburg to work on lifting storm houses for some random builder via craigslist. I was driving hour- hour and a half and his guys lived 5 minutes away and I still beat them to the job every day. him and his lead guy were begging me to stay. he still calls me.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.465 seconds