dcsimg

does anyone ever have success with hiring guys through Craigslist?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • Author

currently trying to hire some guys through craigslist for the 4th or 5th time in the past 3 years and seem to be coming up empty again. always get a ton of emails, but none of them end up working out for whatever reason. why is it so hard to find guys who actually wanna work nowadays?

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Cause there aren’t too many guys who really WANT to work these days and most of the ones who do are busy!

And no, I had zero success with Craigslist applicants in the past.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Never tried to hire through craigslist. But have tried the unemployment office a couple times with the same results not working out. Most kids now want to sit in an office making six figures doing nothing. Or don’t want to do anything at all.
    have to agree with hdpro. The most of ones that want to work have jobs.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Same here, I had horrible luck with craigslist applicants.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

the only guys we can actually get to come in end up being clueless cause they bullshitted their resume and want way more money than their worth. otherwise, they’ll message me 100 times begging to give them a shot cause they “need a job so bad” and “have a great work ethic” then I send them the address of the job and they just flat out don’t show up, reply “oh that’s too far from my house” and most recently “oh, you don’t offer medical benefits? I’m only looking for a job with benefits”

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I used to get, “oh, sorry, I can’t come to work if you don’t pick me up. I lost my license for (pick your poison)”.

Or, “I don’t get up until around 11am. Will that be a problem?!?” Nope. Not at all. Sleep the whole day away as far as I’m concerned. Next!

What am I? A freakn’ taxi service too?!!

It’s sooo much less stress working by myself!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Craigslist (kijiji up here) is really flake central. Lots of guys who think they want to work, but don’t act like it, can’t get there, know everything but don’t have their own tape or hammer. Like anywhere I guess it’s a shot in the dark, you might hit something if you get lucky but I bet it varies by where you’re at.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man you gotta love the craiglisters, from the sellers of overpriced junk to people answering help wanted ads.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have tried twice, the first time about a year ago, I got 4 – 5 responses and hired one. He did not have the skills he claimed and lasted three weeks.

Tried again a couple of weeks ago and did not get one response.

I did find what I believe will be a good hire by talking to the instructor at the local trade school and got a referral on a couple of other guys.
    I may try to hire them if i get a couple of more contracts signed.

the most common responses I get every time I post an ad is lead carpenters/foremen with 20-30 years experience(or so they claim) which might be good for someone looking for that, but I clearly state in my ads that I’m just looking for crew members and helpers. If we filled a 6-8 man crew with $30/hr guys we’d go broke.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I used to get, “oh, sorry, I can’t come to work if you don’t pick me up. I lost my license for (pick your poison)”.

Or, “I don’t get up until around 11am. Will that be a problem?!?” Nope. Not at all. Sleep the whole day away as far as I’m concerned. Next!

What am I? A freakn’ taxi service too?!!

It’s sooo much less stress working by myself!

Please excuse my rant, but nothing Pixxxx me off more than someone who asks if you can pick them up and take them home every day. I had a guy who said he could not pay his fines to get his license back but then smoked like 2 packs a day. Thats like 300 a month or better in smokes, give them up and pay your fine. 2 smart phones is another one i saw, why 2? why not a cheap standard phone. I understand if your vehicle is broke down for a day or two, I am willing to help without a problem, but not making an attempt to get to work or get home, come on. I rode a bike to work many times when I was a kid, but they wont have it today. I dont have a problem if someone is willing to drop you off and pick you up or even giving you a ride home if we work late or quit early. Some people make it hard to employ them based on choices they have made. should that be society’s fault?

Sorry, rant over.

No personal experience here other than that I have looked for jobs before in the past on craiglist and most of what I got in terms of responses was spam and scams…. so, I would be less inclined to think it is very worthwhile… I’d tap into other networks – is there a spot for postings of sorts at your local lumberyard or something along those lines?

John S

I had a guy who said he could not pay his fines to get his license back but then smoked like 2 packs a day. Thats like 300 a month or better in smokes, give them up and pay your fine. 2 smart phones is another one i saw, why 2? why not a cheap standard phone. I understand if your vehicle is broke down for a day or two, I am willing to help without a problem, but not making an attempt to get to work or get home, come on.

this is typical of society today. one of our employees is a Peruvian “illegal alien”. we pay him $25/hr through payroll cause while he doesnt have a SS#, he has a tax ID# or whatever and pays his taxes. so this guy drives a nice 2010 fully loaded ford explorer, has nice clothes, buys his kids ipads and iphones and xboxes and blah blah. meanwhile he asks us to sign a letter for him claiming he works for us and only makes $35 A WEEK so he can put his son in daycare while his wife goes to work and not pay for it. we were like “uhh you’re paid on payroll, how can we lie about how much you make?” so we just signed a letter saying he works for us and that’s it.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Please excuse my rant, but nothing Pixxxx me off more than someone who asks if you can pick them up and take them home every day. I had a guy who said he could not pay his fines to get his license back but then smoked like 2 packs a day. Thats like 300 a month or better in smokes, give them up and pay your fine. 2 smart phones is another one i saw, why 2? why not a cheap standard phone. I understand if your vehicle is broke down for a day or two, I am willing to help without a problem, but not making an attempt to get to work or get home, come on. I rode a bike to work many times when I was a kid, but they wont have it today. I dont have a problem if someone is willing to drop you off and pick you up or even giving you a ride home if we work late or quit early. Some people make it hard to employ them based on choices they have made. should that be society’s fault?

Sorry, rant over.

EXACTLY!

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

this is typical of society today. one of our employees is a Peruvian “illegal alien”. we pay him $25/hr through payroll cause while he doesnt have a SS#, he has a tax ID# or whatever and pays his taxes. so this guy drives a nice 2010 fully loaded ford explorer, has nice clothes, buys his kids ipads and iphones and xboxes and blah blah. meanwhile he asks us to sign a letter for him claiming he works for us and only makes $35 A WEEK so he can put his son in daycare while his wife goes to work and not pay for it. we were like “uhh you’re paid on payroll, how can we lie about how much you make?” so we just signed a letter saying he works for us and that’s it.

Unfortunately, it’s more advantageous financially to work the system than it is to actually work.

This is a house of cards. There are now more takers than makers. Laziness is the new top vocational choice in America.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Man, that would drive me nuts. I’d lose a lot of respect for someone that was trying to game the system like that.

it’s really disheartening, but he’s an invaluable employee. hustles his ass off and can always bring us more guys to work. he’s the type of guy who you can put him on something he’s never done before and by the end of the day he’s 100% proficient at it and doing it correctly and efficiently unsupervised for the rest of the week.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

You have to post ads to get the BS? I get calls daily from people looking for work. I wish my phone could screen them out lol

I’ve gotten a couple of good guys over the years from CL however I usually had to wade through 20-30 emails of idiots that I didn’t want. Other good guys have come from referrals or from friends of employees.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

I’ve had zero luck with Kijiji also. But where else do you look? I actually asked on facebook and figured friends could help me find someone and sort of be a personal reference at the same time. Ended up hiring a friends brother. he’s working out Ok but it would suck if I had to fire him.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.644 seconds