dcsimg

do you think of 12v and 18v of the same brand as different platforms?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

As some of you may know I am on the Milwaukee M18 platform. I have other cordless tools but those are mostly “one off” type things.

If I need a new cordless tool I tend to give Milwaukee the first look. If I truly dislike their product then I may look elsewhere, for example I don’t like their grinders and OMTs.

But recently I have a need to get a new power tool for connecting PEX-A tubing for potable water supply lines. The specific tool I would like is a “ProPEX” (not ProPRESS) and is made by Milwaukee and DeWalt only (as far as I know), it is an expansion tool, not a crimp press tool (although you can press PEX, but it’s a different type of tubing and connection fittings).

The only issue is Milwaukee makes a 12v version and an 18v version. But the 12v version is like $300 and the 18v version is $800. Big difference, not only that, the 18v is heavier, bulkier, and it does larger heads like 1.5″ and 2″ which I will never need. The 12v version does 1/2″, 3/4″ and 1″, that’s exactly what I need. But this means I need to adopt a new battery platform as I have no 12v battery. Sure the charger is dual voltage so that helps a little, but still…I don’t want to get the 18v and pay $500 more to get a bigger heavier tool which I can never take advantage. I guess I can buy lots of 12v batteries for $500.

Do you guys consider a different voltage a whole new platform?

The good news is this tool doesn’t need to be in my truck 24/7 only for special jobs, so I don’t need to retire something else to make room for it in the current mobile boxes and racks.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Do you guys consider a different voltage a whole new platform?

In your case it would be a new platform, because you would need another battery. In your case you have the charger which helps but bottom line it takes not only the tool but batteries also = new platform. The good news 12V batteries are usually cheaper than 18V, buy the tool and look for a sale on batteries. Now is the best time to buy as everybody has their batteries on sale.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I consider it a different platform…different batteries = different platform to me. I have multiple platforms though, I would like to only have one but…just doesn’t seem to work out that way lol

Milwaukee 18v & 12v
    Bosch 18v & 12v
    Makita 18v
    Dewalt 18v & Flexvolt

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@Miamicuse we use the 12 volt version at work , works really well ,
    I was thinking the same thing , but like Chad mentioned , I don’t think there is one perfect platform , plus that 12 volt Milwaukee is compact and last long on the 2 amp batteries.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have multiple platforms though, I would like to only have one but…just doesn’t seem to work out that way lol

It sure doesn’t work out. It seems like having only one platform leaves you wanting tools your platform does not have. At least in a shop situation multiple platforms just means more chargers are out rather than packing in multiple batteries.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was thinking the same thing , but like Chad mentioned , I don’t think there is one perfect platform , plus that 12 volt Milwaukee is compact and last long on the 2 amp batteries.

This is it , it’s a nice size tool ,

I agree that you look at these voltages as different platforms. You may or may not have the same tool in different sizes but there are definite differences between the 12v and 18v tools in their capabilities.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@boschmanbrian @doobie I replied to you but I guessed I quoted you so my post went to jail lol.

@boschmanbrian @doobie I replied to you but I guessed I quoted you so my post went to jail lol.

Lol yeah it’s happened to me before , must have been speeding lol

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

looks like my last post was gone for good. Anyway the one you showed in your picture is a PROPRESS tool. It pressed copper fittings. Very expensive. The one you have I think it’s a $1800USD bare tool. That doesn’t even include the jaws for 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 1″ etc…and each of those may be a few hundred bucks LOL.

What I was looking at is a PROPEX tool, now PEX tubing connections also have crimp, clamp and expansion connections, and each method has it’s own specific tool. It’s kind of confusing. I am considering a cold expansion PROPEX tool. This used to be super expensive too, until the 20 year patent runs out and now the market has many more options and the price went down 90% LOL.

This tool does nothing except expand and rotate.

looks like my last post was gone for good. Anyway the one you showed in your picture is a PROPRESS tool. It pressed copper fittings. Very expensive. The one you have I think it’s a $1800USD bare tool. That doesn’t even include the jaws for 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 1″ etc…and each of those may be a few hundred bucks LOL.

What I was looking at is a PROPEX tool, now PEX tubing connections also have crimp, clamp and expansion connections, and each method has it’s own specific tool. It’s kind of confusing. I am considering a cold expansion PROPEX tool. This used to be super expensive too, until the 20 year patent runs out and now the market has many more options and the price went down 90% LOL.

This tool does nothing except expand and rotate.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”Milwaukee Expansion Tool. Complete Overview” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/p2kIGdyNkMY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Lmao I just went back and looked at the original post , I guess I was speed reading , and just saw propress lol , sorry my bad ,
    Definitely a different price range ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

This is it , it’s a nice size tool ,

This is a PROPRESS tool, it presses copper fittings onto copper pipes. This is one expensive tool, I think it goes for $1500 in the USA here, and you have to buy additional jaws for 1/2″, 3/4″ and 1″ and each is additional.

The one I am referring to is an expansion tool. It expands PEX tubings when making what they call a cold expansion joint.

This one is about $300. They used to be much more expensive but the patent has ran out and now it’s cheaper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.257 seconds