dcsimg

Do you save used screws or nails?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

nails never, screws if they are ones i put in. if they are from times gone by, screw it lol.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Slotted screws and Phillips generally all get tossed, even if they’re in new condition. I’ll keep used other types, but I’m selective where I re-use them.

I do keep some old cookie tins with a bunch of misc screws and bolts. There’s always a screw size that I don’t normally stock that I can find in those tins.

Unless a nail can be fired from a gun, I don’t want them typically.

I have both type of nails. I have small selection of new nails you would use a hammer. I still use them for certain jobs. Plus I have some since I build my shed.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Slotted screws and Phillips generally all get tossed, even if they’re in new condition. I’ll keep used other types, but I’m selective where I re-use them.

I do keep some old cookie tins with a bunch of misc screws and bolts. There’s always a screw size that I don’t normally stock that I can find in those tins.

Unless a nail can be fired from a gun, I don’t want them typically.

I have both type of nails. I have small selection of new nails you would use a hammer. I still use them for certain jobs. Plus I have some since I build my shed.

When I built my shed all nails were fired from a nailgun including doing the shingles. Anything I wasn’t sure about I used GRK structural screws. Those are great screws. I have yet to strip or snap one of them.

Kamster
    Pro

Old rusted or damaged screws and all nails get put in a coffee can and then put in recycling bin when the can is full. Screws that I put in, I save especially if the Robertson (square) head isn’t damaged. If it is even slightly damaged then I put it in the coffee can.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Old rusted or damaged screws and all nails get put in a coffee can and then put in recycling bin when the can is full. Screws that I put in, I save especially if the Robertson (square) head isn’t damaged. If it is even slightly damaged then I put it in the coffee can.

We also throw all old screws and nails in a bucket and put them in with the scrap steel when we recycle it. We also end up with a lot of odd ball nuts and bolts from the basket ball hoop installs and removals that we do. we save the better ones to have a few spares if we are shorted on a job but most go in the recycle as well. They count out the exact number of nuts and bolts that they send for an install with no extra, drop one and it rolls under the bleachers and off to the hardware store it is if we do not have some extras with.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’ve saved screws in good condition for form building.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We also throw all old screws and nails in a bucket and put them in with the scrap steel when we recycle it.

Kurt that’s a real good idea. We keep a lot of old fasteners around just to have spares in case you ever need one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I’ve saved screws in good condition for form building.

I’ve done that.

Restoration/reproduction type screws: Always, never know when I may need them
    RSS/Structural Screws: Yup, but won’t use them in a structural capacity ever again.
    “Standard” screws like decking and drywall screws: Nope – not worth the hassle
    Normal nails: Never
    Cut nails: Often – get used as accents in some pieces I make.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We also throw all old screws and nails in a bucket and put them in with the scrap steel when we recycle it. We also end up with a lot of odd ball nuts and bolts from the basket ball hoop installs and removals that we do. we save the better ones to have a few spares if we are shorted on a job but most go in the recycle as well. They count out the exact number of nuts and bolts that they send for an install with no extra, drop one and it rolls under the bleachers and off to the hardware store it is if we do not have some extras with.

That is a good idea to save all old screws & nails to recycle them. I never thought of that. That is nice to see. It would take me a lifetime to save up some to recycle for any value.

Greg

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I don’t tend to save anything, but on occasion I’ll save screws depending on the size / style of screw. Never a deck screw or standard construction screw, but smaller more decorative ones.

Kamster
    Pro

That is a good idea to save all old screws & nails to recycle them. I never thought of that. That is nice to see. It would take me a lifetime to save up some to recycle for any value.

My small city has curbside recycling pickup so I just thrown the coffee can into the blue bin. I’d thought about the metal recycler but I just don’t have the volume of metal to make it worth the effort or the time to stand in line.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Like others, I save screws. Only if they look brand new, and in some cases not even then. It seems to me like sometimes driving a screw and then unscrewing can weaken the screw.
    In furniture work, cut nails are not uncommon, and if I ever found that I needed to take something apart that used cut nails then I’d save them. Wire nails I’ve never saved.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Like others, I save screws. Only if they look brand new, and in some cases not even then. It seems to me like sometimes driving a screw and then unscrewing can weaken the screw.
    In furniture work, cut nails are not uncommon, and if I ever found that I needed to take something apart that used cut nails then I’d save them. Wire nails I’ve never saved.

Yes I am sure you are right screwing & unscrewing a screw can weaken it. I know this happens with a bolt. So I am sure it will happen with a screw. I never heard of wire nails before.
    Also I would like to add some of the screws I am talking about saving were screws I removed from the hinges on my cupboards of my rental unit. For the most part they are in good shape.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It seems to me like sometimes driving a screw and then unscrewing can weaken the screw.

Stainless steel ones are the worst. SS is such a brittle metal that reusing them is a crap shoot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I never heard of wire nails before.

Wire nail is the generic term for any common nail. Any nail you’ve ever bought from a home center in the last 40 years is a wire nail. They are made by cutting a long wire to length, then tapering the end and forming the wire to make the head.
    A cut nail, on the other hand, is a more expensive nail. See pictures below. The regular looking one is a wire nail, the shim-looking one is a cut nail.
    With a cut nail, you hammer with the long edge parallel to the grain of the wood. This provides a chisel-like cutting action, severing the wood fibers. Much less chance of the wood splitting since the fibers are actually severed. Compared with a wire nail (normal nails of today), where the nail doesn’t sever the wood fibers, and instead just pushes them to the side. If pushed aside hard enough, the wood will split.
    Cut nails are being mass produced by a sole company as far as I know these days. They’re being made in Massachusetts by Tremont Nail (http://www.tremontnail.com/). Not a nail salon, by the way.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Here is a good article about the difference between the types of nails:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/324/Why%20Cut%20Nails%20Are%20Better

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here is a good article about the difference between the types of nails:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/324/Why%20Cut%20Nails%20Are%20Better

Excellent description of the cut nail and how it works. Some cut nails have a bulge below the head about a third of the way down the shank. This also helps lock the nail in place even better.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

keko
    Pro

we save all screws if in good condition and put them in a container cant tell you how many times that has come in handy on the job.

Doobie

Good thing I could find my little staff of old nails. I needed a couple of a certain size to act as spacers between some deck boards I’m about to install.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.498 seconds