dcsimg

Do you save used screws or nails?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Ok I wondering if anyone saves used screws or nails. Yesterday when I working on replacing some cupboard hinges I found myself putting the used screws in a food container. I mainly did this to keep them all in one spot instead of all over the place. As I was working on this I thought I could save them as doesn’t hurt to have them. Plus these screw were all different sizes. If I need one that size. I do have a small collection of miscellaneous screws in the shop now. I am just wondering if I should keep adding to this collection or just toss them. I don’t always save them and depends on there condition. But I find that I go for the new and shiny ones first.
    I really don’t save nails at all. I know my Dad & Grandpa always did.
    I do have a jar of square head nails I got in job lot at auction sale.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

nails never.. screws sometimes depending on the condition of the square recess for the driver bit and if their deck screws it depends on how much of teh coating is still on them

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Neither of them.
    I would’ve had tons if I did.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I occasionally save screws if still in good shape. But never nails.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a box of assorted hardware and screws and bolts. If I don’t have a specific place for things when I clean up I just toss them in this box. It has bailed me out quite often. I admit I usually have to dump it all out and dig but usually find what I need.
    I don’t save used nails. I pretty much use all nail guns anymore and just don’t need used nails.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I got into the habit of saving hardware of all kinds when I was restoring antiques. That kind of old hardware is invaluable to have around. Never got out of the habit. I save screws still but never nails.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have saved screws if they were good. Nails not so much unless it was is super good condition.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Older slotted screws are the only thing I save. Some people like that older look of slotted screws. They add a nice look especially if you are restoring something old.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I too have a couple of containers of odd screws, but they are all new. I have so many screws around that I can’t justify keeping used ones honestly. It’s just never been necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I saved nails as a kid but not now. I seldom use a nail to begin with. I have so many screws that I don’t usually save them either but if it was unusual and in perfect shape I probably would. Nuts and bolts I have always saved if they are in good shape. Don’t know why that is different.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Some screws, never nails. I have an old time customer who built much of his own home. In his basement utility room is a ceiling full of baby jars with screwed lids to the ceiling in which any type of fastener he ever came across can be found.
    Thats pointless unless you have separated every machine bolt, SS, pan head,etc..

Buying new sucks too. Ever buy those little packs of screws of just what you need? You can buy a 5 pk? Like shrimp cocktail wtf is 5 make it 6 an even number.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Some screws, never nails. I have an old time customer who built much of his own home. In his basement utility room is a ceiling full of baby jars with screwed lids to the ceiling in which any type of fastener he ever came across can be found.
    Thats pointless unless you have separated every machine bolt, SS, pan head,etc..

Buying new sucks too. Ever buy those little packs of screws of just what you need? You can buy a 5 pk? Like shrimp cocktail wtf is 5 make it 6 an even number.

Lol yeah why 5, I used to save some screws, but after years of doing that, then trying to dig through to find that special size screws.
    Lately I’ve been trying to de clutter, so this means chucking as much hardware and other miscellaneous parts as possible,
    That being said, I still have plenty of extras.

So now I just keep a small Tupperware on my work bench, put those extra in that, and if I need it’s right there, after its full, I try to reduce the amount by just throwing some into the recycling bin

I save a lot of them, both nails and screws, if I don’t have a lot of the same thing on hand and they are in decent shape. I got crap all over the place because I always think crap will come in handy some day.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I have a lot of saved screws ! I’m pretty good at keeping them somewhat organized too. I keep them in peanut butter jars separated by thread type, head type and drive type.
    Lately, if I’m trashing something with a plastic housing I’ll pull some of the screws from it. Ever see those funky threads ? and there’s lots of variations. Maybe I’ll never need any of them, but doesn’t hurt to have a selection just in case.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

nails no, screws, It all depends on the condition. if they wewr used for a temporary brace for a day or so, probably, if they came out of a 5 year old deck, no. My pet peeve is finding clips of nails and screws laying around on a jobsite, especially tapcons, timber screws, or expensive specialty screws. the guys would pick up a quarter laying in the ground in a heartbeat but not a screw that costs a quarter or more.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I got into the habit of saving hardware of all kinds when I was restoring antiques. That kind of old hardware is invaluable to have around. Never got out of the habit. I save screws still but never nails.

Yeah you pretty much got save hardware from antiques. It is hard habit break for sure. Any screw I save has to be good condition or it gets tossed.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Slotted screws and Phillips generally all get tossed, even if they’re in new condition. I’ll keep used other types, but I’m selective where I re-use them.

I do keep some old cookie tins with a bunch of misc screws and bolts. There’s always a screw size that I don’t normally stock that I can find in those tins.

Unless a nail can be fired from a gun, I don’t want them typically.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

I don’t save any of them to use them but I try to collect them and recycle them so they can be used again.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No I don’t save used used nails or screws.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nails never. Used screws only if they are in good shape. It they are rusty or the heads are distorted I trash them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.633 seconds