dcsimg

Do you exercise?

This topic contains 235 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 236 total)
  • Author

People often say to me, “oh you do construction, you don’t need to workout.” Do you hear this too?

I don’t know about you guys but carpentry or construction isn’t always full out exceertion. Many times it repetitive tasks, head up or down all day, body positions; bent over or contorted.

My point is as a contractor who likes to work, play, eat and drink alot of beer I HAVE TO EXERCISE.

Do you exercise and what exercises do you do?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

i agree. most of the time my projects are not exactly aerobic exercises… i try to go on runs 3x a week and lift weights 3x a week… i did use the work “try” ha

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

your right rob, its not always a full body workout, yes the job does require lots of lifting at times but from odd positions and what not but it doesnt give a full body workout

i workout in order to make the job easier so im not compltely worn out at the end of the day like half my crew. it also helps prevent injury

typically my workouts consist of anywhere from 20 – 40 minutes of cardio depending on the day and if machines are open at the gym.. from there i do about 1 hr of weights focusing on one muscle group that day. if my work weeks get really strenous via framing then i change up my routine to one excercise per muscle group covering everything.. then finish up every night with abs. keeping a strong core helps protect the lower back from injurys

if i got into some of my actual workout routines it would take a few posts though

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I would like to get more exercise than I do. I find there is lots of physical activity in my day to day work but you don’t get any cardio which you need. Unfortunately with it being winter, having a 4 month old daughter and keeping a business going exercise is taking a back seat at the moment. When the weather is nice I like to do cycling and walking to keep fit.

Dan

danpattison.com

Dfdc
    Pro

I’m a full time fridgey and consider myself a part-time athlete. I try to get to the gym 5 times a week doing mostly plyometrics and calisthenics. Running every morning gives me energy and makes me feel great but I’m not perfect, I do it when i don’t hit snooze

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

derek, your seriously doing plyometrics and working in the trades.. go easy on them knees.. plyometrics did my knees in.. its what ended my volleyball career 15 years ago.. then working construction has done more damage

I do a lot of running up and down stairs at work so I don’t exercise, however, in the summer my wife and I take real long walks!

Dfdc
    Pro

Sorry to hear Jeff, I am always worried about messing up my knees and back. I stay away from any sort of exercise that i feel pain and try to never overtrain. When i do any jumping exercises or clap pushusps i go to the weights sections where they have thick rubber flooring to absorb the impact, concrete will be much harder on your joints.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the funny thing is me messing up my knees is sorta what got me into it in the first place.. when volleyball was done so was any drive to go to university. i was being scouted. since i couldnt jump anymore the schools scratched me off the prospects list

I’ve been doing some weights coupled with circuit training from a website called CrossFit. I love CrossFit.

Check out this power jump work out I did. My last 3 jumps were at 46-48″ This was combined with a MAX row [rowing machine] prior to the jump. I pasted the 10 second clip – hope it comes through… was alot of fun!

Didn’t post. Anyone interested in posting work outs or maybe a list of “construction core” exercises?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

chest- 4 sets of flat bench 20 reps with 135 lbs
    incline barbell press 4 sets 15 reps 135 lbs
    decline hammer strenght 4 sets 18 reps 90 lbs a side
    cable fly 4x 20 reps 35 lbs

back- wide grip cable pulldowns 4x 18 reps 120 lbs
    close grip pulldowns 4x 18 reps 110 lbs
    seated cable row close grip 4x 20 reps 120 lbs
    seated high grip hajmmer strenght rows 4 x 90 lbs per side
    bent over t bar rows 4x 15 reps 90 lbs

shoulders
    seated military press 4x 15 reps 135 lbs
    rear fly 4x 20 105 lbs
    standing military press 4x 15 lbs 220 lbs (machine)
    side delt dumbell raises 4x 15 reps 20 lbs
    standing shrugs 4 x 12 reps 260 lbs
    front dumbell delt rais 4x 12 reps 20 lbs

legs
    quad extension 5x 20 reps 90 lbs
    hamstring curls 5 x 20 rps 90 lbs
    incline leg press pyramid start at 2 plates a side work up to 7 plates at 20 reps.. work back down to 3 plates
    hack squat machine 4 x 15 reps 225 lbs
    stiff leg deadlift 4x 12 reps 185 lbs
    seated calf raise – 4 sets 135 lbs til failure each set

biceps-
    standing wide grip barbell curl 4x 15 reps 60lbs
    standing dumbell curl 4x 12 reps 35 lb dumbells
    seated preacher curl 4x 15 reps 60 lbs
    standing dumbell hammer curls 4x 15 reps 20 lbs
    standing barbell hammer curls 4x 15 reps 70 lbs

tricps 0
    close grip bench press 4x 18 reps 135 lbs
    standing cable french curl 4×20 reps 50 lbs
    seated tricep pushdowns (machine) 4x 20 reps 145 lbs
    seated dumbell skull crushers 4x 18 reps 70 lbs
    staning one arm cable tricep extension 4 x 12 x 30lbs

this is my general workout each week, sometimes the weight is increased with less reps..

core workout, hanging straight leg raises
    crunches on the ball
    crunches on the mat
    lower back extensions

i like the idea of high reps for the legs. I think that’s super important an the legs can handle it!

the only thing I dont do is Biceps. I work my arms with other stuff.

i have heard lots of other people who love crossfit… reminds me of what i did when i played football in college…

John S

Jeff,

I’m heading back to the gym after a 3 week layoff. To ease back in I’m going to do mostly calestenics.

Here’s the workout:

10 Sets in 20 Minutes:
    ———————–
    15 Deep squats
    10 Push Ups
    5 Pull Ups

Wish me luck!!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

wow, high intensity robert!

the high reps for legs thing is important, its the largest muscle group in the body and since were on our feet all day the muscles are the best conditioned which means working them out takes more effort to tire them out.

the higher reps thing is something i picked up from the Arnold Swarzennegger body building encyclopedia.. he states that calves especially are the hardest to train because its so hard to fatigue them.. he would train them everyday to get results

actually I don’t. even thou im running about all day everyday working. its stillnot the same as actual jogging, swimming, exercise.

woodman_412

I just found the perfect solution for anyone that doesn’t have time to work out but wants that little extra bulk. The foam knee pads from Blaklader aren’t only great for protecting your knees but if you place them under your shirt then you have instant muscle! Get that Schwarzenegger look without countless hours spent at the gym 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol nice one dan

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I seem to get a fair amount of muscle work out at work but no cardio at all. None. So I try and spend 20-30 minutes on an elipitical machine.
    On another note don’t forget nutrition and diet. Diet as in what you eat not diet as in what you aren’t supposed to eat. I will freely admit that I have poor nutritional practices. Beef jerky and coke for lunch kind of guy.
    I never worried until about 2 wks ago. I was having problems with weakness in my legs. Talked to the Dr. about it and many bad things were mentioned. Nerve damage, ALS, MD, other not so nice things. Turns out it was all nutritional, lack of minerals and B vitamins. Nuts for snacks and making sure I eat my vegetables and fruits and the weakness went away. It is easy to slack off on what you eat but MAKE SURE YOU EAT RIGHT.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.816 seconds