dcsimg

Diy air tanks for compressor

This topic contains 41 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Rovik
    Pro

I just started a new project. This time i’m working on two air receiver tanks, to increase the air volume to my compressor in my garage. Here are some pictures:

Norway

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

You mean you’re going to build them?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

From what I can tell it looks like he is going to build the air tanks.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Rovik
    Pro

From what I can tell it looks like he is going to build the air tanks.

Yes that’ right. Some more progress of the build.

Norway

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I repurposed one of my old 30 gallon compressors as a surge tank. Just stripped down the motor, switch, etc.

Rovik
    Pro

I repurposed one of my old 30 gallon compressors as a surge tank. Just stripped down the motor, switch, etc.

That’s a god idea.

Some welding going on.

Norway

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a god idea.

Some welding going on.

Another great looking project! Were you able to source the formed heads locally?

Will you be using automatic drain valves?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Rovik
    Pro

That’s a god idea.

Some welding going on.

Another great looking project! Were you able to source the formed heads locally?

Thanks. I had to order the formed heads. No one had them in stock. By the way i live in Norway.

I will use automatic drain mabe at a later time.

Norway

Doobie
    Pro

Rovik, you never cease to amaze us. Keep posting this build and thanks for sharing.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ivan, Wow that is some very nice work. Those welds are incredible.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That’s a god idea.

Some welding going on.

Thanks. I had to order the formed heads. No one had them in stock. By the way i live in Norway.

I will use automatic drain mabe at a later time.

Looking good so far.

Greg

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I just started a new project. This time i’m working on two air receiver tanks, to increase the air volume to my compressor in my garage. Here are some pictures:

Wow those welds on the later pictures and excellent , will you pressure test them , not that I’m second guessing you’re welding , just curious.
    Looks great 👍

Rovik
    Pro

Thanks for the comments guys 🙂

Wow those welds on the later pictures and excellent , will you pressure test them , not that I’m second guessing you’re welding , just curious.
    Looks great 👍

Yes i will for safety purpose. I just use the test procedure for Slac, National Accelerator Labratory: Test pressure for new pressure vessel.

Test 1 Pneumatic:
    Air 0,2 – 0,3 bar on the system, and use soapy water on all welds and fittings. If no leakes, go to test 2.

Test 2 Hydrostatic:
    1,43 x MAWP (Maximum allowable working pressure)
    Since my PSV’s is lifting at 10 bar, i set my MAWP at 9,8 bar.
    1,43 x 9,8 bar = 14 bar (203 PSI) I will fill the system with water, and use a hydrostatic pressure test pump to gain 14 bar. If no water leaks, i have a good and a safe system to work with.

Note!! This is for my system only, and my own risk… If anyone other copy this it’s they’re risk and theyr’re risk only…

Norway

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@rovik smart idea to test it just for safety reasons.
    I’m sure judging by your welding it’s going to be great.
    Did you have to do anything special for the inside of the tanks , I don’t think it’s necessary , although I’m not sure.

Rovik
    Pro

Did you have to do anything special for the inside of the tanks , I don’t think it’s necessary , although I’m not sure.

Before welding i grind the steel to bare metal on a small area innside and outside where the weld gonna be. Other than that i don’t do anything for the inside of the tanks.

Norway

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The way those welds look I am sure they will be leak free.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Rovik
    Pro

The way those welds look I am sure they will be leak free.

Fingers crossed 😅

Norway

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Before welding i grind the steel to bare metal on a small area innside and outside where the weld gonna be. Other than that i don’t do anything for the inside of the tanks.

Thanks Ivan , it’s always interesting to follow your builds ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks for the comments guys 🙂

Looks great 👍

Yes i will for safety purpose. I just use the test procedure for Slac, National Accelerator Labratory: Test pressure for new pressure vessel.

Test 1 Pneumatic:
    Air 0,2 – 0,3 bar on the system, and use soapy water on all welds and fittings. If no leakes, go to test 2.

Test 2 Hydrostatic:
    1,43 x MAWP (Maximum allowable working pressure)
    Since my PSV’s is lifting at 10 bar, i set my MAWP at 9,8 bar.
    1,43 x 9,8 bar = 14 bar (203 PSI) I will fill the system with water, and use a hydrostatic pressure test pump to gain 14 bar. If no water leaks, i have a good and a safe system to work with.

Note!! This is for my system only, and my own risk… If anyone other copy this it’s they’re risk and theyr’re risk only…

Yes it is a good idea to do these test. I am sure you will be alright.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the extra tanks for more capacity are great, but it seems like a lot of work unless you like that sort of thing. I think I would find an old compressor and just hang that tank on the wall.

I have a old twin tank that would make a good surge tank like this, the motor and pump, died long ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.578 seconds