dcsimg

Dishwasher air vent geyser

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Yeah, it’s definitely an air gap to prevent backflow, thanks for catching that @jponto07 and @RyanF

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The loop is to hold back odor like a p-trap under a sink it keeps a bit of water in the pipe to act as a filter. Great job on the repair. I am new be the pro and really like the group.

Im no plumber, but unless im way off, that’s not the purpose of the loop. Thats all done at the p-trap. Water wont stay in the elevatated loop the way it does in a p-trap anyway. It prevents backflow of wastewaster from getting to the dishwasher and sitting there.

I agree with Ryan. The elevated part of the drain tube is just to prevent backflow from the disposal.

Main reason for the loop on newer dishwasher’s is to prevent siphoning. Most will have back flow preventers built in. But it will still prevent that from happening.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

C4rtoad07
    Pro
    Osawatomie, KS

It was explained to me that way years ago. I may have been told wrong but it drains in above the ptrap so that made sense to me. Thanks for the constructive criticism though I am always up to learn the right answer so if I am asked I don’t look foolish.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It was explained to me that way years ago. I may have been told wrong but it drains in above the ptrap so that made sense to me. Thanks for the constructive criticism though I am always up to learn the right answer so if I am asked I don’t look foolish.

That’s what it’s all about here, lots of great information being shared.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@c4rtoad07 it may have been that what you had explained to you was a different set up, but, because there isn’t a low point in the hose, it can’t keep water in place, so there’s nothing to hold back the sewer gases. But that’s not a problem, since it connects with the drain above the p-trap, so the p-trap handles that issue for that line as well.

@kswiss
    you’re so right about that!

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.294 seconds