dcsimg

Dishwasher air vent geyser

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  cmeyer25 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I have a shared office kitchenette at work with a dishwasher. Every time it drains lately, water comes gushing out of the vent which is up on the sink and goes all over the counter and soaks into the back splash (and, I’m assuming, the wall) I took apart the vent and watched the dishwasher pump water through it and it looks like an air gap that’s being overwhelmed by the volume of water being pumped. But nothing seems to be plugged, either in the sinks p-trap or in the drain line connecting the vent back down to the p-trap… and it didn’t used to happen. Anyone of you with more experience mind chiming in?

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Sounds to me like there is a restriction somewhere in the drain line. Being it just started to happen.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

The p trap was free and clear, but I forgot to check the connection above it – tiny little y where the dishwasher drain connects. Thanks @ronw, but now how do I get the hose off this connection that’s up behind the deep sink along with six other tubes for the faucet and instant hot plumbed in! I’ll keep working at it.

Charlie

Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Just pull the sink out if you have to. Sometimes it can be easier than trying to crawl around in the back of the cabinet

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@kswiss I was thinking about doing that, but really hoping to not have to – luckily I discovered that the vent actually unscrews apart and can be pulled back down underneath – it looked like a solid flange on top like it was dropped through to be installed. Once I figured that out, getting it all taken apart was pretty quick. Now all the pieces are cleaned out and I’m checking to be sure it all drains properly. Should be good to go!

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

kswiss I was thinking about doing that, but really hoping to not have to – luckily I discovered that the vent actually unscrews apart and can be pulled back down underneath – it looked like a solid flange on top like it was dropped through to be installed. Once I figured that out, getting it all taken apart was pretty quick. Now all the pieces are cleaned out and I’m checking to be sure it all drains properly. Should be good to go!

Was wondering how your drain turned out. Sounds like you found the problem. Nice job figuring this one out.

Ron

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks for the help and encouragement @ronw, that’s one of the things I love about BTP, if I get in a pickle or want some advice, there’s almost always someone on here with a good perspective.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sounds to me like there is a restriction somewhere in the drain line. Being it just started to happen.

Yeah aren’t dishwashers required to have a separate drain?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Yeah aren’t dishwashers required to have a separate drain?

No sir. They typically connect to the sink drain.

Ron

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@theamcguy mine looked like the picture on the right. The clog was right at the branch tail which made it all back up to where the arrow points at the manufacturer required loop, and all over the counter.

Charlie

Instagram

Good job charlie…I didn’t see the thread until just now. But looks like you solved it.

So a loop with or without a vent is required by all manufacturers or only a few?
    The drain line from our dishwasher goes straight to the food disposal. No vents or whatsoever.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@madman_us I would think that, if you’re feeding into the garbage disposal, the opening from your sink is big enough that it acts as a vent for the line and doesn’t need the loop, but I don’t know for sure – we have a commercial garbage disposal at work and it’s hooked directly to the drain line, but the opening is pig enough to stick my fist into, so I would imagine there’s plenty of air flow.

What do you think @ronw? Also, is it just that that formation is required for the pipe, or is a vent required? The diagram doesn’t mention a vent at all, just that the hose is supposed to have a “loop” in it.

Charlie

Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

What do you think ronw? Also, is it just that that formation is required for the pipe, or is a vent required? The diagram doesn’t mention a vent at all, just that the hose is supposed to have a “loop” in it.

Air gaps are really outdated in my option.
    The purpose of the air gap is too prevent back-flow and siphoning. New dishwashers have back flow preventers built in and looping the drain hose prevents siphoning.

Ron

Thanks for the explanation. That definitely clears things up.
    I was always curious why some kitchens have the vent and some don’t

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@theamcguy mine looked like the picture on the right. The clog was right at the branch tail which made it all back up to where the arrow points at the manufacturer required loop, and all over the counter.

Glad you found the clog and got the drain working again.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

C4rtoad07
    Pro
    Osawatomie, KS

The loop is to hold back odor like a p-trap under a sink it keeps a bit of water in the pipe to act as a filter. Great job on the repair. I am new be the pro and really like the group.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@c4rtoad07 welcome to BTP, and thanks 🙂 I felt a little silly that it ended up just being clogged, but it’s always nice to have this space to get some needed perspective on problems.

Charlie

Instagram

RyanF
    Pro

The loop is to hold back odor like a p-trap under a sink it keeps a bit of water in the pipe to act as a filter. Great job on the repair. I am new be the pro and really like the group.

Im no plumber, but unless im way off, that’s not the purpose of the loop. Thats all done at the p-trap. Water wont stay in the elevatated loop the way it does in a p-trap anyway. It prevents backflow of wastewaster from getting to the dishwasher and sitting there.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Im no plumber, but unless im way off, that’s not the purpose of the loop. Thats all done at the p-trap. Water wont stay in the elevatated loop the way it does in a p-trap anyway. It prevents backflow of wastewaster from getting to the dishwasher and sitting there.

I agree with Ryan. The elevated part of the drain tube is just to prevent backflow from the disposal.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I agree with Ryan. The elevated part of the drain tube is just to prevent backflow from the disposal.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.784 seconds