dcsimg

Dirt to Doorknobs: Another great article stating the case for trade education.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Here’s a link to the newest article on the TIC site stating the case again for a trade education versus the traditional degree based education:
    http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2014/12/26/dirt-to-doorknobs-carpentry-technology-at-green-river-community-college/

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks for the link, that was a good article. It’s nice to see that programs like this are still flourishing.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Good read, thanks. See that they are doing a straw house as well, someday I want to try this. Maybe for a cabin.

Great article and it’s the truth! Traditional College is not the answer for everyone just like skilled trades aren’t for everyone.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I agree it should more about options

Great article and it’s the truth! Traditional College is not the answer for everyone just like skilled trades aren’t for everyone.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That seems to be a good program up there in Auburn Wa. Great to see it’s still going on in some places.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Glad to see the trades making a run at getting new people in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

It would be nice to see more of those programs start and flourish.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I agree we need more programs like this thanks for sharing

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Over here we have a carpentry program at the community collage.

Dirty

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

In hindsight, I should have gone to a school like this rather than traditional undergrad. I hated college and ended up wasting a ton of money on it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the link. I think that we as a nation have to put a new face on working for a living. There was a time when it was a noble endeavor. I just don’t see the possibilities of trades being discussed as they once were so it is of little surprise to find so few interested in it.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

We were having a good laugh recently at an audio diy get together, about the prominence of the “Maker” movement in the media lately. It’s both amusing and sad to see the attitude some people have that this is a new thing. I think the disappearance of shop classes in high school has a lot to do with the lack of awareness of how to make and fix things. Since the change seems to have been in response to liability concerns I don’t see the trend reversing at that level.Iit is always nice to see other opportunities arise for people to learn how to work with their hands, as well as their heads.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We were having a good laugh recently at an audio diy get together, about the prominence of the “Maker” movement in the media lately.

True, people used to do all the time. Remember the articles in magazines like Popular Mechanics? They had a bunch of how to stuff using common household items.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We were having a good laugh recently at an audio diy get together, about the prominence of the “Maker” movement in the media lately.

True, people used to do all the time. Remember the articles in magazines like Popular Mechanics? They had a bunch of how to stuff using common household items.

@asevereid, that was a great article,
    Glen Martin really steps up for the community and students.
    Good thing that they were able to convince the board to keep the program growing.

@theamcguy, I agree now a days, it’s become a disposable society, don’t fix it, just ditch it. ( I guess this is part due to China) and other companies putting out cheaper (or lower cost) made items

KenW
    Pro

Really interesting article. Thanks asevereid. I think more people would be happier in life with a trade such as carpentry, boiler maker and the like. They think earning the big bucks in some high rated college degree job is what they need. And then go on to a job completely outside of the degree they spent years and huge amounts of money getting.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I find that so many times I here the successful office type saying that they’d like to do what I do and I think to myself I’d love to do what they do and have the money and security that comes with a real job. To drive a car around instead of a work truck. To go on a vacation and know I have a job when I return…., A retirement account??? What’s that??? To wear clean close.. Oh and I thank my god that I just don’t know and wish that I was born a thousand years ago,,,

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I find that so many times I here the successful office type saying that they’d like to do what I do and I think to myself I’d love to do what they do and have the money and security that comes with a real job. To drive a car around instead of a work truck. To go on a vacation and know I have a job when I return…., A retirement account??? What’s that??? To wear clean close.. Oh and I thank my god that I just don’t know and wish that I was born a thousand years ago,,,

You know what they say the grass is always greener… I have been on both ends of the stick, office and outdoors, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Working outside is great when it is sunny and not too hot or not too cold, rainy and cold it sucks. You get the idea, best to do the best with the talent you have.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Just keep chugging. That’s what I keep telling myself. One day I’ll break free and make more money. With that I’ll be able to put money away into a retirement account and such. Right now with young kids it seems no matter how much I make it all disappears anyway lol.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Just keep chugging. That’s what I keep telling myself. One day I’ll break free and make more money. With that I’ll be able to put money away into a retirement account and such. Right now with young kids it seems no matter how much I make it all disappears anyway lol.

Having kids is tough on the wallet. I never could save anything when they were home.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.514 seconds