dcsimg

"Direct Connect" Worm Drive

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just bought a 1677MD barely used.

I love that thing. It’s become my every day saw now.

There is no connector to get snagged on every damn thing in sight, and there is no open connection to get dragged through mud and water. We frame in the rain a lot around here. 😮

So my question is, Why did Bosch discontinue it, and are there any plans to bring it back?

Delta

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It certainly seems like a good idea, but there must have been a reason to discontinue it.

Does the extension cord lock onto the saw somehow?

@bethepro
    , any insight on this?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

that saw was released early mid 2000s was it not. they released a newer wormdrive 3 years ago.. it seems bosch disontinues older models when something else comes out….

now mind you teh direct connect cs20 was discontinued like 10 years ago also

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Anonymous
    Inactive

It certainly seems like a good idea, but there must have been a reason to discontinue it.

Does the extension cord lock onto the saw somehow?

@bethepro, any insight on this?

Yes, it does.

There is a clip that you wrap the cord around. It is impossible to disconnect.

I personally, would never buy anything else, if it was still available.

Not that that matters. :blink:

Delta

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t know why it was stopped??? What most guys liked about it was you could plug in a 100 foot cord and be done with it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I don’t know why it was stopped??? What most guys liked about it was you could plug in a 100 foot cord and be done with it.

Sounds really useful for the guys who like corded tools. That is the way it goes seems like all the good ideas get discontinued.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

The 1677 was replaced with the CSW41. The main difference is the lighter weight materials used. There were other ergonomic adjustments made based on user input.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 1677 was replaced with the CSW41. The main difference is the lighter weight materials used. There were other ergonomic adjustments made based on user input.

Uh, and the fact that it’s not direct connect. :whistling:

Delta

Anonymous
    Inactive

So is this something that we might get a response about, from the powers that be?

Delta

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have one also, It is nice to not have the connector to catch things. I think It just did not catch on. the biggest problem is that you need to have a cord with a factory end to connect well. if you keep up on replacing cord ends as needed, they replacement ends do not fit well. Our saw gets a fair amount of use.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It was a great to have a hundred foot cord on it to work up in the trusses.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s tough when a company has a good idea and then they cancel it. BTDT especially when the “new” idea is no where near as useful as the one they replaced it with.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Just a guess, maybe the direct connect feature was not for anyone and it results in sales. Then Bosch came out with the newer model and discontinued the 1677MD.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

maybe the direct connect feature was not for anyone and it results in sales.

Well it was for someone because I’ve used it a lot over here. Big companies would go and buy 20 and 30 at a time for big projects. They must have gotten a good price on them.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

There is a distinct safety advantage with cordless power tools and with the performance people are getting with the DeWalt and Makita rear handle cordless saws, it seems like cordless would be the design of choice for many professionals in this field.
    I wouldn’t know because I’m not a framer and my cordless sidewinders do everything I ask of them. I also haven’t used corded rear handle saws very much and have never used a cordless rear handle saw but even my old brushed cordless bosch ccs180 with a Core battery will outperform my 15 amp Milwaukee tilt-lock (made in USA version) even in a production environment.
    I would imagine that Bosch would most likely be releasing a powerful cordless saw model that would be designed for framing use in the near future.
    What are the advantages and/or disadvantages between the existing cordless options and this 1677 saw?

j

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

maybe the direct connect feature was not for anyone and it results in sales.

Well it was for someone because I’ve used it a lot over here. Big companies would go and buy 20 and 30 at a time for big projects. They must have gotten a good price on them.

Of course there was use for it, but as I said…not “everyone” preferred this style.
    You still have yours?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.587 seconds