dcsimg

Did You Happen To See…Online Construction, Trade, Whatever Else Articles

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Saw this on bobvila.com 13 Home Improvements that are Illegal to DIY

http://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/13-home-improvements-that-are-illegal-to-diy-49321#.Vg2L6fldF5w

We have definitely hanged out our own hot water heater, and relocated raccoons

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I think that to most folks the article is right. But to a bunch of trades here they are hot that hard. But I call the pro’s for my boiler.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would have to say that before I was in business or as a kid growing up I did or helped my father with 2/3 rds of those projects.

monman1
    Pro

Number 5 is the best. Who wants pump there own septic tank, not me thats for sure, i will let the pros have the one.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

They seem to be under the impression that all plumbers are licensed pipefitters. Not surprising on bobvila.com.

So what are you doing on there anyway, Tara? πŸ™‚

redwood
    Pro

I doubt that most of those are illegal for DIY’s in Calif. Heck you can build your own home, you just need to obtain permits and have inspections.

But as Joshua said, I don’t know of any one that wants to take care of their own Septic tank.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

They seem to be under the impression that all plumbers are licensed pipefitters. Not surprising on bobvila.com.

So what are you doing on there anyway, Tara? :)

@EthanB it was actually one of the headliners on MSN yesterday, and got me curious πŸ™‚ As long as the nosy neighbors don’t see anything you can do just about anything here as well.

Interesting list…I think the title is a little misleading. Illegal is a little harsh. It all depends on the area and local codes. I have performed a lot of those tasks. Of course a DIYer may want to head some of those warnings.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting list…I think the title is a little misleading. Illegal is a little harsh. It all depends on the area and local codes. I have performed a lot of those tasks. Of course a DIYer may want to head some of those warnings.

@overanalyze..agreed. I thought jeezel we’re in trouble then

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So what are you doing on there anyway, Tara? :)

In Indiana if it certainly Not illegal to install a skylight, or remove raccoons, or remove a wall, or change a lit fixture, or cut down a tree, or replace a garage door spring, or kill termites.

Bob Vila should be ashamed to have his name on such a misleading article. 80% of the things mentioned are perfectly fine an experienced DIYer to tackle. Perfectly legal…not for Everyone, but nonetheless not Illegal.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

ahh I hate slideshows, lol. However there are some things I wouldn’t touch myself, like the gas pipes. Its a good thing my cousin is a hvac tech, whew. I’ll have to call him if my furnace conks out again, i’ve had to fix it the last two years and I m not sure why it just goes.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Number 5 is the best. Who wants pump there own septic tank, not me thats for sure, i will let the pros have the one.

I’m with you on that on. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

The problem with most DIY is that folks don’t pull permits and have it inspected. Even if it’s legal for the HO to do the work, they still need to have it inspected around here and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. They might be fine with their hacky install but someone’s going to buy that house down the road and they won’t know what they’re getting.

BTW, Bob Vila was a HOST on a show that feature real contractors. I have no idea how everyone decided that he actually knew much about construction. I go on that site occasionally when I’m tracking links to my website and am blown away by the amount of cheesy clickbait articles.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BTW, Bob Vila was a HOST on a show that feature real contractors.

Yep Bob Vila started on This Old House. He was a milkman that happened to live next door to the producer of This Old House and was looking for a host, so he hired Bob. After a while everyone thought Bob was the expert. he got released from TOH when he signed a deal with Sears to the spokesman for Craftsman Tools. Then he went out on his own. He has tried his hand at being a GM for several high profile and high dollar remods, most have ended up in litigation over quality issues after the job was done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BTW, Bob Vila was a HOST on a show that feature real contractors.

Yep Bob Vila started on This Old House. He was a milkman that happened to live next door to the producer of This Old House and was looking for a host, so he hired Bob. After a while everyone thought Bob was the expert. he got released from TOH when he signed a deal with Sears to the spokesman for Craftsman Tools. Then he went out on his own. He has tried his hand at being a GM for several high profile and high dollar remods, most have ended up in litigation over quality issues after the job was done.

Wow really Bill. Never knew about all this,

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t know all those specifics about BV but I’m not surprised, It’s always been obvious to me that he’s just an actor (kinda) LOL. And had no clue as to how to use a real tool, I remember watching that show and if he ever had a tool in his hand it was just a prop LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to have a high opinion of Bob Vila until I started learning things from brothers and husband. I do remember every Sunday morning watching Old Yankee workshop or maybe it was New..with Norm Abrams. He made me want to build my own bedroom furniture. I did…only my headboard has survived πŸ™‚

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I used to have a high opinion of Bob Vila until I started learning things from brothers and husband.

It seems like those in the trades do resent those that make their living just talking about it… I don’t think Bob is a bad guy..he talks about it…and makes more money than a lot of people by just talking. Sounds like a great gig to me.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

relocated raccoons

For most animals, sudden relocation is a death sentence to them and also possibly their litter. It’s more humane to kill them.

We had two neighbors years ago that were trapping squirrels and relesing them in the middle of nowhere. Somebody snitched on them as Ministry of Natural Resources people showed up at their doors and advised them to stop or get fined. For years we rarely saw any squirrels around here.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I preferred Norm much better. He knows what he is doing and I learned a lot from his show. He was my idol when I was starting out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.505 seconds