dcsimg

Diagnosing scissor lift trouble.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

emmcl11
    Pro

I am trying to diagnose an issue with my scissor lift. I am not looking to repair it myself, but identify the issue before calling the experts. This lift is a Pentalift( http://www.pentalift.com/lift-tables/scissor-lifts&multi-stage.php ) bought in 2001. Never had any issues before. The problem with it is that every once in a while the hydraulic lifting mechanism doesn’t work at all. It doesn’t even shows this signs of going up. Then trying it again after a while, it may or may not work. And when it work, it doesn’t show any issue. Is the problem with the battery or what? I personally don’t think any issues is there with the hydraulic mechanism. Well, I need experts opinion about that. Where should I start to identify the issue?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Test the battery system if you have the means, even with a multimeter will give you any indication of low voltages.

Are you sure there is no air in the hydraulic system?

Check out this article… http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/hydraulic-fluids/effects-air-hydraulic-systems-0

@emmcl11,
    Welcome to BTP..

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Could be a malfunctioning safety switch. Does everything work normally other than up and down?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Being it’s an intermittent problem. I would look at the switch.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

emmcl11
    Pro

Thank you for the replies. Well, there is no visible issues with the switch. I will check again.
    No issues other than up and down.
    I will check for battery or air issues. Will let you know once I identify the problem.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Electrical trouble-shooting can be difficult to impossible if you don’t have a good background in electrical. It’s difficult for me to guide someone through the process as well, because there could be many different things going on, and based on the results of a test, for example, it would send you down a different path…

That being said, the intermittent nature does suggest a possible electrical problem, and you can begin at the control, and work your way back to the source, and try to find a fault or damage. This is a long and time-consuming process, and it will only work while the machine is malfunctioning.

This is why it might take hours to diagnose what could turn out to be a 5 minute fix.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Anonymous

Welcome to BTP, Think I’d look into the solenoids/relays after making sure the batteries and main cables were good. Then look into the actual switches, and make sure it doesn’t have a loose or corroded ground. Get yer test light or volt meter out and start poking around, Good Luck!

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I’ll assume it has a high lift limit switch. That would be an easy item to check. Moves freely, doesn’t stick, connections clean and tight

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Thank you for the replies. Well, there is no visible issues with the switch. I will check again.
    No issues other than up and down.
    I will check for battery or air issues. Will let you know once I identify the problem.

I had an issue with the switch on my scissors lift, notheing looked wrong but it die end up being the safety button on the switch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.433 seconds