dcsimg

Diablo Sandnet Sandpaper disks – Abranet Killer?

This topic contains 77 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  montreal_woodworks 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

I don’t understand why someone would buy a 6″ sander and then put a 5″ pad on it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I don’t understand why someone would buy a 6″ sander and then put a 5″ pad on it.

Because I got both pads with my ROS65 (was the lboxx kit that came with both) I can speak to why I put on my 5 inch pad

1. Gets a bit closer into a corner
    2. Fits into insides better
    3. On narrower workpieces, more of the pad (and its holes) are on the piece, so dust capture is better
    4. The sanding pads are cheaper

I use my 6 inch pads whenever the piece is big enough, but switch to 5″ often enough that Im glad to have the option

Because I got both pads with my ROS65 (was the lboxx kit that came with both) I can speak to why I put on my 5 inch pad

3. On narrower workpieces, more of the pad (and its holes) are on the piece, so dust capture is better

I use my 6 inch pads whenever the piece is big enough, but switch to 5″ often enough that Im glad to have the option

I can see what you are saying. Thanks for the insight. I still don’t quite get it though. I guess I should have qualified my question with “if you have a 5″ sander already” then wouldn’t it make it redundant to put the 5″ pad on the 6″ sander? Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer.

I can see what you are saying. Thanks for the insight. I still don’t quite get it though. I guess I should have qualified my question with “if you have a 5″ sander already” then wouldn’t it make it redundant to put the 5″ pad on the 6″ sander? Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer.

In that case- yup

Unless you prefer to line up sanders and switch sanders instead of grit

@jimdaddyo

@montreal_woodworks went over the reasons pretty well, but yeah the smaller radiuses help for crevices within corners. In my case, getting 40 grit sandpaper locally means I’m stuck with 5″ unless I want to do expedited shipping online.

In that case- yup

Unless you prefer to line up sanders and switch sanders instead of grit

Multiple sanders all lined up neatly in a row, each with a different grit….I could go for that…lol.

@jimdaddyo

@montreal_woodworks went over the reasons pretty well, but yeah the smaller radiuses help for crevices within corners. In my case, getting 40 grit sandpaper locally means I’m stuck with 5″ unless I want to do expedited shipping online.

Thanks for the info guys….I always learn something here.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In my case I want to use it as a polisher on cars as well as a sander. Most of my polishing pads fit a 5″ backing pad so that is my reason.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In my case I want to use it as a polisher on cars as well as a sander. Most of my polishing pads fit a 5″ backing pad so that is my reason.

Another good suggestion. Thanks.

A 6″ polishing pad would be on my wish list if (when) I get the 1250. I hope Bosch sees fit to make one. For the exact same use you are using it for.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

A 6″ polishing pad would be on my wish list if (when) I get the 1250. I hope Bosch sees fit to make one. For the exact same use you are using it for.

Never thought of the 1250 as a polisher but, with the variable speed feature, it would be a natural.

Doobie

I do believe that Bosch offers them. Just look at the accessories listed for that sander. I believe it shows up.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Never thought of the 1250 as a polisher but, with the variable speed feature, it would be a natural.

Most random orbit sander from Bosch are also called polisher in their description. They also have a dedicated 7″ polisher, the GP712VS.
    But I don’t want to derail 😛

Couple years ago the ROS65 came in a lboxx kit (ROS65VCL) and was equipped with a 5″ and 6″ pad. Guess it’s personal preference and also what type of job/workpiece you tackle with. Many reasons have been mentioned above already and for sure some really good ones too.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

I do believe that Bosch offers them. Just look at the accessories listed for that sander. I believe it shows up.

If you click the “Polishing bonnets and discs” under accessories it only lists 5″ applicator pad and 5″ buffing pad. No 6″ is listed there.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/polishing-bonnets-and-discs-22812-c/

Perhaps the link is in error if there is a 6″ available for it? Is there a compatible 6″?

@jimdaddyo

The 6″ velcro plate will work with commercially available buffer pads that have velcro on the back. I’ve done it before with the ROS65 just for wax application. It’ll be nice with the 1250DEVS, it has less vibrations than my Meguiars G110v2, at least from what I’ve experienced from sanding so far.

@jimdaddyo

The 6″ velcro plate will work with commercially available buffer pads that have velcro on the back. I’ve done it before with the ROS65 just for wax application. It’ll be nice with the 1250DEVS, it has less vibrations than my Meguiars G110v2, at least from what I’ve experienced from sanding so far.

I also have the Meg’s but I’m too afraid of a grain of sawdust scratching my paint to risk crossing the tools. Maybe I’m paranoid

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use foam pads and have a ton of them but most fit a 5″ backing plate.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@jimdaddyo

I also have the Meg’s but I’m too afraid of a grain of sawdust scratching my paint to risk crossing the tools. Maybe I’m paranoid

I keep all my car wash stuff in an empty 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid on it. When I want to wash the car I just grab the bucket and everything is there, including the wash bucket. I have a couple similar that bird seed came in. One for my shop rags, one for my good car wash rags. I keep rarely used extension cords in yet another.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I keep all my car wash stuff in an empty 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid on it. When I want to wash the car I just grab the bucket and everything is there,

Good idea JDO, makes it easy to find everything when needed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I keep all my car wash stuff in an empty 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid on it. When I want to wash the car I just grab the bucket and everything is there,

Good idea JDO, makes it easy to find everything when needed.

For washing stuff, I do the same. Once I get to a full detailing, thats where I need the use of a shelf in my cabinet. I have (and use) the whole PoorBoy’s lineup. Love Black Hole Glaze under a sealer

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.432 seconds