dcsimg

Diablo Sandnet Sandpaper disks – Abranet Killer?

This topic contains 77 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  montreal_woodworks 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@smallerstick – no problem, I hope it helps! It’s always fun to pass on tips and tricks I’ve picked up from other, much smarter people 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com wrote:
    I thought i saw a review on them somewhere that indicated that they had significant wear around the edges that regular disks did not. Seemed to me that it said the useable life was less than pads.

In my experience, if the mesh catches an edge, it rips. For that reason, I tend to use standard disks if Im down in the very low grit ranges, doing something like cleaning up a chainsaw-cut log slice. As soon as I move from making “chips” to making dust, I switch to Abranet and find they last forever as long as you don’t abuse them. Let them sand, don’t push down on them, and keep them away from anything sharp they can get caught on.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Im excited by this idea, because it means I will be able to get something like Abranet at my local HD

Hopefully they will be released soon. I really like the idea behind this. Hopefully they will have 6″ discs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Im excited by this idea, because it means I will be able to get something like Abranet at my local HD

Hopefully they will be released soon. I really like the idea behind this. Hopefully they will have 6″ discs.

Yea a 6″ disc would be great.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I mostly use 5″, so it works for me as-is, but 6″ would be nice as well. I do have a couple of 6″ sanders

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I mostly use 5″, so it works for me as-is, but 6″ would be nice as well. I do have a couple of 6″ sanders

I do use more 5″ than 6″. But 6″ sure would be nice to have them for the dual mode sander.

Ron

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Sorry double post. Don’t know why this keeps happening.

Ron

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i havent seen the diablo mesh disc yet here. there not in the toronto area yet either from what im told.

performance wise if their anything like the regular diablo discs ill pass… ive used the 5″ diablo discs and they wore out extremely fast in comparison to norton, sia and mirka regular discs

these discs may be an improvement but ill have to wait and see when they arrive locally

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Went to the local HD to check it out and found nothing in stock. It is on their website though.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

i havent seen the diablo mesh disc yet here. there not in the toronto area yet either from what im told.

performance wise if their anything like the regular diablo discs ill pass… ive used the 5″ diablo discs and they wore out extremely fast in comparison to norton, sia and mirka regular discs

these discs may be an improvement but ill have to wait and see when they arrive locally

I have used Bosch discs from A.ca and they don’t last like the Klongspor and Sia discs from Millbank hardware, my local construction supplier. Price is not a concern; they are close.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

5″ and 6″ pads are fine with me.
    I have both sizes for my ROS65VC (random orbit sander with vibration control) and they also fit on the 1250DEVS (dual mode electronic random orbit sander).
    So let’s see if they come up with different sizes.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

In stock at my local HD. $15 for 10 with pad. From 80 grit down to 320

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh great I’ll do a search on it, order and have it sent to store.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh great I’ll do a search on it, order and have it sent to store.

If you find it, mind sharing the SKU?

@montreal_woodworks
    From the 80 grit pack I have and a photo of the display

@montreal_woodworks

Thanks! Looks like it’s USA only for now

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Hadn’t been to look yet, but my local HD must have these it’s in the weekly sales flyer.

Ron

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@montreal_woodworks

I can’t even find anyone here who knows a thing about this new product,

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

@montreal_woodworks

I can’t even find anyone here who knows a thing about this new product,

Even Google won’t turn much up. Its on the Home Depot US site, but not on Home Depot Canada. If it hadn’t showed up as a light review on Instagram, I would not have heard anything at all.

Over time, Ive started to realize that while the consumables may not be as cool as the tools themselves, their price and availablilty have a HUGE impact on the usability of the tool itself. I love Abranet, but, trying to guess which sizes I will need the most, and trying to order in advance, in bulk, is a pain. Inevitably, I misjudge. That isn’t an issue when I don’t need to buy it online and wait to receive it.

@smallerstick
    @montreal_woodworks

Well I’ll be spending a lot of time with the 80 grit and the 1250DEVS when it gets here. It’ll be mostly paint removal but I got a pack in 400 grit as well for wood and I’ll report my results with it. I heard about it from an online video and thought that they just bought Abranet in bulk and sliced it into disks until I noticed the country of origin being different.

So far I’m fairly positive on paint removal off a metal surface based on the ROS65’s performance with it, it seems to last and last. Not so much with the Diablo sandpaper in 60 grit, the grit just breaks down quickly and you’re not removing a lot of material afterwards.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.765 seconds