dcsimg

Diablo Sandnet Sandpaper disks – Abranet Killer?

This topic contains 77 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  montreal_woodworks 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I just saw that Diablo (bosch owned still) now has an Abranet-style sanding disk coming out.

Ive always had good experience with diablo stuff, whether router bits, blades, or even sandpaper, but the Abranet was the only disks I bought because its easier than caring which hole pattern each tool has (festool and bosch have different patterns) and I hate the time sink of trying to get the holes lined up just right for maximum dust collection. Finally, the mesh surface gets less gunked up and can be vacummed off before putting away. Great life span so long as you dont catch an edge and rip it

Im excited by this idea, because it means I will be able to get something like Abranet at my local HD

Hopefully its going to be pretty good

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m excited by that, too. It would be a real bonus if they were offered in 6″ as well.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I haven’t tried Abranet yet but very nice to see some sandnet pads from diablo.

I’m excited by that, too. It would be a real bonus if they were offered in 6″ as well.

I am in the same boat 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

I already tried the 80 grit out on the ROS65 and I’m waiting on my 1250DEVS to arrive. It looks like Abranet but the grain color is yellow (Maybe its stearated or something?) instead of the brownish color that Abranet is.

Seems to outlast conventional sandpapers when its being used on paint, by a lot.

Either way they’re much better than Dewalt’s mesh sandpaper.

So what is the price difference between the two sanding pads . Everyone loves the Abranet .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro

I just saw that Diablo (bosch owned still) now has an Abranet-style sanding disk coming out.

Where did you read that. I’m a big fan of Abranet style disks.

Where did you read that. I’m a big fan of Abranet style disks.

As am I. Showed up on my instagram feed as a new product. Googled the trade name and found the video I embedded above

@skillman

At my local HD, they’re giving a free 10 pack of the mesh disks away if you purchase the normal 50 pack of Diablos for 20. Otherwise it seems the pricing is around 15. They include a pad protector with the Diablo style 5/8 holes, which is unlike the Mirka protectors that have a lot of holes.

Curiously:
    Mirka Abranet has the Country of Origin as Finland
    Diablo SandNet has the Country of Origin listed as “Abrasive made in Switzerland, shaped in USA”, so I assume they cut the abrasive in the US.

So I am not sure if Diablo is buying the abrasive in bulk from Mirka or someone else.

It really does seem like its Abranet, down to how the edges of fray before the abrasives seem to wear down.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

If anyone sees then in Canada; let me know. I would like to give them a try. My real complaint with conventional 6 hole discs is the difficulty getting the holes to line up properly with the vents in the pad.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I just like the fact that it’s easily available from Home Depot. Only a couple places around here carry mirka stuff and they are out of the way otherwise I would get it more often. Where as Home Depot is always close.

Interesting, very interesting. Abranet is good stuff so if this is readily available at HD and it is anywhere close, it is good news. I will be stopping in at HD to check it out.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Interesting, very interesting. Abranet is good stuff so if this is readily available at HD and it is anywhere close, it is good news. I will be stopping in at HD to check it out.

Would be nice to find locally.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I just like the fact that it’s easily available from Home Depot. Only a couple places around here carry mirka stuff and they are out of the way otherwise I would get it more often. Where as Home Depot is always close.

You can’t buy it here anywhere . You have to order it from a online dealer of the pads .

@skillman

At my local HD, they’re giving a free 10 pack of the mesh disks away if you purchase the normal 50 pack of Diablos for 20. Otherwise it seems the pricing is around 15. They include a pad protector with the Diablo style 5/8 holes, which is unlike the Mirka protectors that have a lot of holes.

Curiously:
    Mirka Abranet has the Country of Origin as Finland
    Diablo SandNet has the Country of Origin listed as “Abrasive made in Switzerland, shaped in USA”, so I assume they cut the abrasive in the US.

So I am not sure if Diablo is buying the abrasive in bulk from Mirka or someone else.

It really does seem like its Abranet, down to how the edges of fray before the abrasives seem to wear down.

Thanks I haven’t seen it by me yet . I only have one HD near me within an hour drive .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought i saw a review on them somewhere that indicated that they had significant wear around the edges that regular disks did not. Seemed to me that it said the useable life was less than pads.

Doobie
    Pro

I thought i saw a review on them somewhere that indicated that they had significant wear around the edges that regular disks did not. Seemed to me that it said the useable life was less than pads.

Can’t say I’ve experienced that, but maybe it’s because I use an interface pad also.

Here’s photos of sanding disks, from left to right:
    Dewalt Mesh, Dewalt SandNet, Mirka Abranet

The Dewalt seems to be the least aggressive in material removal and tends to clog a little. You don’t need to use a pad with it. Also seems like the abrasives don’t last as long

@kurt@welkerhomes.com
    They seem to have plenty of life in the abrasive department, just don’t bump the edges. The abrasives seem to still keep cutting when they dull out on some ceramic sandpapers I’ve used.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I would love to try these, especially after all the hype Abranet gets on this site. I have also seen what looks to be a DeWalt version too. I saw it a while back at my Lowes. Anyone know anything about that?

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/abrasives/coated-abrasives/mesh-sand-paper/mesh-5-inch-random-orbit-sand-paper

It also seems like a lot of you dislike standard hook and loop because of the time it takes to line up the holes – have you tried just taking a scrap and putting two pegs in it that correspond to the holes in the sander? You can then place the sand paper over the pegs, slip the pegs into the dust ports and the paper slides onto the pad perfectly every time in maybe two seconds. I picked up this trick from someone on IG – @cubist.woodworker He does a lot of really neat stuff too.

Charlie

Instagram

@cmeyer25

I already up the Dewalt above. I think its a lot less aggressive in material removal and the abrasives feel shorter lived in that they wear too fast. To be fair, they seem to be more robust on the edge of the disk compared to the Abranet and Sandnet types since its a heavy mesh. It also has a built in surface for the velcro so you don’t need the pad.

Haven’t had issues with lining the holes up, I just like the mesh type disks more since they’re better for dust collection and that means they should have more longevity.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It also seems like a lot of you dislike standard hook and loop because of the time it takes to line up the holes – have you tried just taking a scrap and putting two pegs in it that correspond to the holes in the sander? You can then place the sand paper over the pegs, slip the pegs into the dust ports and the paper slides onto the pad perfectly every time in maybe two seconds. I picked up this trick from someone on IG – @cubist.woodworker He does a lot of really neat stuff too.

Great trick, @cmeyer25, I will put one of those together today. Thanks!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will be stopping in at HD to check it out.

I checked my HD last night and they did not have them. My HD is very little in the way of sandpapers only 3M which I like but at times would like a selection. I order a lot from HD and have it sent to store for free. Takes up to a week but it works.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.532 seconds