dcsimg

DeWalt battery combinations on the Power Station – Flexvolt and ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

I currently have the following DeWalt batteries:

6.0ah – qty. 1 (Flexvolt)
    5.0ah – qty. 3
    4.0ah – qty. 3
    3.0ah – qty. 1
    2.0ah – qty. 5

The Power Station takes four batteries and the runtime is basically only as good as the weakest/smallest battery. I was thinking of getting one more 5.0ah and one more 4.0ah so I would have four of each. That would give me three ‘cycles’ of the Power Station (one cycle using four 5.0ah batteries, one cycle using four 4.0ah batteries and one cycle using four 2.0ah batteries).

That essentially would leave the 6.0ah Flexvolt battery unused.

Here’s what I’m curious about and I probably won’t know til I try, but do you think it’s feasible to (not sure if there’s a mathematical way to figure this):

– Run the Power Station using the one 6.0ah and three 5.0ah batteries
    – Once those three 5.0ah drain down, keep the 6.0ah in and insert the three 4.0ah batteries
    – Once the 4.0ah’s drain down, keep the 6.0ah in and insert three 2.0ah’s

Think the 6.0ah would last long enough to be used with each grouping?

There’s probably an easier way of asking, but trying to make it make sense.

Resident Sign Guy

Would probably work. The unit shuts off as soon as one battery is dead regardless if the others are still full is my understanding. Not sure if it tells you which one is dead.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks @overanalyze

My assumption is all three lower ah batteries would die at the same time and I could (hopefully) replace them with three of the other batteries. Rinse and repeat. Just not sure how long the 6.0ah Flexvolt will last compared to a batch of 5.0’s, 4.0’s and 2.0’s.

Like maybe it would last along with the 5.0s and 2.0s but not the 4.0s. Or the 4.0’s and 2.0s but not the 5.0’s. If I knew the answer, I could just buy one of the batteries for the batch of ah batteries that it wouldn’t last long enough for.

Probably just have to try it. Again, hoping there was a mathematical way to roughly answer it.

Resident Sign Guy

That still will probably vary greatly based in load and use. Obviously startup load for a motor is more than running load. Use time will be very hard to nail down.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I don’t think your plan would work as you laid out. My understanding of the Dewalt power station is it uses all the batteries simultaneously. For this you can do math with the amp-hours of the packs assuming ideal use, it would vary some with real world use and depending on the condition of your batteries.

– Run the Power Station using the one 6.0ah and three 5.0ah batteries (This will leave approximately 1.0ah on the 6.0ah battery)
    – Once those three 5.0ah drain down, keep the 6.0ah in and insert the three 4.0ah batteries (The 6.0ah will drain its last 1.0ah during the use of the first 1.0ah of the 5.0ah battery. Then you remove flexvolt pack and run off of the 5.0ah packs)
    – Once the 4.0ah’s drain down, keep the 6.0ah in and insert three 2.0ah’s (6.0ah pack already drained prior to this step)

The best scenario for you is to use the 6.0 as a 2.0 + 4.0:
    -Run 6.0ah with 3 4.0ah. This leaves 2.0ah in the flexvolt pack.
    -Switch the three 4.0ah with the three 2.0ah. Use the remaining 2ah in the flexvolt.
    -Either recharge them all or put in 4 5.0ah packs.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

One thing I saw on Instagram with some of the people who were testing these is that under high load the batteries closer to the outlet side were hotter. So you might want to keep the biggest battery on that side when using it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So Moze how is the power station working out?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks for the responses.

@theamcguy
    haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet

Resident Sign Guy

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

When you have a flexvolt battery in the power station does it function as a 20v or a 60? The more I try to understand the more lost I’m becoming lol

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Its a 20v max battery when in the power station. They are always a 20v unless plugged into a 60v tool. If you were to measure it with a multi meter it reads 20v

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Its a 20v max battery when in the power station. They are always a 20v unless plugged into a 60v tool. If you were to measure it with a multi meter it reads 20v

That clears that up. Thank you for the explanation.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

As I understand it, its just playing with amp = watt / volt, which drops the battery life like a brick

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the power station would switch to 60v if it had all flexvolt batteries in it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I did go to and buy it my Local WoodCraft store this last weekend.They were having a 15% off sale. I did notice the DeWalt Power Station and FlexVolt tools flying outa that store!! It looks as far as battery power that DeWalt has it going on for the big tools. The FlexVolt tablesaws were going like hot cakes! The Yellow&Black seems to be ruling this Market Place. I’d like to see some current market share charts.

Hi @Moze you see the 9.0 flexvolt battery’s are out on the market . A lot more run time over a 5.0 on your power station . Help with higher tool demand .

Always willing to learn .

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Already sold the power station – I need something that will last hours and it’s just not a feasible option for that power steamer. Bought this inverter generator brand new for $300 off Craigslist. It’ll serve the purpose much better.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Already sold the power stationBought this inverter generator brand new for $300 off Craigslist. It’ll serve the purpose much better.

Interesting. You were the market they were going after; a few hours of use and instead of a small generator a power station powered by batteries. After trying it out you then sold it and went with the generator. Guess it did not live up to the hype.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Already sold the power station – I need something that will last hours and it’s just not a feasible option for that power steamer. Bought this inverter generator brand new for $300 off Craigslist. It’ll serve the purpose much better.

Congratulations on this little inverter /gen
    To bad it didn’t meet your needs,
    Nothing better than the real world testing,
    So how many times did you swap out the battery packs in the Dewalt,
    How much runtime will you get with the little gen

What are you running for long periods of time . Sds-drills just curious

Always willing to learn .

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Already sold the power stationBought this inverter generator brand new for $300 off Craigslist. It’ll serve the purpose much better.

Interesting. You were the market they were going after; a few hours of use and instead of a small generator a power station powered by batteries. After trying it out you then sold it and went with the generator. Guess it did not live up to the hype.

Not for my use anyway. I’m sure it’ll run a saw and other corded tools all day without issue. The power steamer is a constant high draw which drains the batteries pretty quickly.

Congratulations on this little inverter /gen
    To bad it didn’t meet your needs,
    Nothing better than the real world testing,
    So how many times did you swap out the battery packs in the Dewalt,
    How much runtime will you get with the little gen

Thanks…

I don’t understand your question about swapping them out…I ran it on a set of batteries and they died in about 10 minutes.

“Half load” run time is 6 hours. I can bring a couple of gallons of gas and get all day use out of it.

What are you running for long periods of time . Sds-drills just curious

Wagner Power Steamer

Resident Sign Guy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.307 seconds