dcsimg

Dewalt 120vMax 12" sliding miter box

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

The flexvolt line up has been out for a little over a year and a half. When released the full size cordless miter box was released, the first of its kind and still to this day the only cordless 12″ miter box. Dewalt has been making miter saws for a while but is the cordless one just as good as the corded?

The 120v uses Two 60v (54v nominal) batteries to give it the power of 120 volts (108V nominal) which gives it awesome power. The saw may even have more power than its counter part corded saw dws780. This kind of power will make a believer out of anyone doubting cordless power. But all that power is useless on a miter saw if it can’t cut accurately. Right out of the box this saw was accurate, I was able to get tight joints in all my cuts. Even refinished walnut base came out flawless. Even if it wasn’t true it has the ability to be trued up which it will probably need after years of use. The saw, like most 12″ saws, has great capacity. It will cut 6 3/4″ base board against the fence, 7 1/4″ crown nested. and will cut 16″ across at a 90. The reason for these specs besides the 12″ blade are the fact that besides the motor and stickers the saw is just about identical to their flagship corded model. That means it shares all the same features like the awesome led light that gives a shadow line of where the blade will cut. It has the same dual bevel of 48 degrees both ways and the miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 to the left. This gives the saw great versatility. That is probably the saws greatest strength. It has the ability to do everything in all situations. Its accurate for doing fine finish work, has the power to cut through large pieces, and can do all this without having to be plugged in. But one great feature is that it has the ability to be plugged in using the ac adapter. One more thing that makes it super versatile.

The run time on the saw is ok with the batteries that it comes with in the kit, the 6.0ah grey batteries. I have used it for a whole day and by lunch the battery had one bar left. In order not to chance it and run out of juice with work still to be done I was able to charge them over lunch. Also this was not production work, I could see maybe production work making barley to lunch off a full charge with those batteries. Luckly those arnt the only batteries that dewalt makes for the flex volt platform. They have 9.0ah batteries that use bigger 20700 lithium ion cells as oppressed to the 18650 cells in the other batteries. These batteries are definitely the way to go when using this saw. They lasted 2 and a half days for me and i have no doubt that they could last one person an entire day for production work. Since I have gotten these batteries I have never touched the ac adapter although its still nice to have.

The only couple bad things about the saw is the dust collection and the size of it is quite big and heavy. Although I think any 12″ sliding dual compound miter box is going to be big and heavy. I would recommend this saw as the only saw for everything and anything that you need. Where it really shines is exterior trim. Not having to run an extension cord or worse popping a breaker inside a house that you don’t have access to is a pain. This saw eliminates those problems completely. It does just as fine inside as long as you are not concerned about the dust it creates. I would recommend a dust hood to contain it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice review Austin, Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I passed on this deal recently. Having some regrets now. but I still have 4 miter saws and just don’t use them all that often currently. I do have the small 20v version, but it is lacking for power when we tried using it for framing.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I saw that model a little over a year ago at a trade show; very impressive at first look. Thanks for sharing your experience after using it for a while.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow another nice review. That is a monster of a saw. I really haven’t used the 12″ sliding miter saw in a long time. Is this you every day carry CSMS?

We came down to restore the parent’s home in the Keys after Irma and I asked my brother if I should bring any saws. He said he just bought the battery Makita and a Makita table saw, so I left my 780 at home and headed down. Now don’t get me wrong, that Makita is an awesome saw, but it took a beating and has issues after 3 months of use. The detentes are loose for one thing. After two years, my Dewalt is still so tight I never have to lock the detentes. He is also kinda irked about the Makita seeming to lose some of its motor oomph after such a short time. I started bugging him about the Dewalt flex saw and he is too invested in Makita batteries to switch. I tell you what, with all the weird jobs I’ve taken on the past two years where power has been an issue, the flex saw is something that has been sitting in the back of my head. I mean hell, I could always get it and keep the 780 at home on the bench, right? I’m sure you guys can talk me into this 🙂

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

We came down to restore the parent’s home in the Keys after Irma and I asked my brother if I should bring any saws. He said he just bought the battery Makita and a Makita table saw, so I left my 780 at home and headed down. Now don’t get me wrong, that Makita is an awesome saw, but it took a beating and has issues after 3 months of use. The detentes are loose for one thing. After two years, my Dewalt is still so tight I never have to lock the detentes. He is also kinda irked about the Makita seeming to lose some of its motor oomph after such a short time. I started bugging him about the Dewalt flex saw and he is too invested in Makita batteries to switch. I tell you what, with all the weird jobs I’ve taken on the past two years where power has been an issue, the flex saw is something that has been sitting in the back of my head. I mean hell, I could always get it and keep the 780 at home on the bench, right? I’m sure you guys can talk me into this 🙂

Yeah multiple saws are always good to have. Corded in the shop and cordless in the field is the way to go.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Corded in the shop and cordless in the field is the way to go.

I’m getting to the point I prefer cordless in the shop as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.209 seconds