dcsimg

Dedicated Router Table in Shop

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I can imagine that, with the discussions that went on about the dangers of ripping on a RAS, these could be adapted to your RAS table fence, in order to help control the kickback problems with this tool.

I am not inclined to do that simply as the RAS is gonna grow legs at some point a leave the building. I’ve kept it around simply to see if I would in fact occasionally need it after finding other alternatives to do what I expected to do with the RAS from when I got it. That period has now passed, and it’s simply a task, albeit somewhat a major task, to redo the area where it is and reorganize things and get rid of it.

really am sold on the “one way” rotation feature of the wheels. Great idea.

Board buddies do the same thing but are a lot less versatile and don’t offer as decent a spring loading mechanism as the Jessems. They also do not incorporate the 5 degree inward pull. I have a pair of them that I used many times over the years, but now I will sell to someone at some point when I get myself a ‘Round-tuit’. With the Jessem TS Stock Guides, there’s no point in keeping the Board Buddies.

Will have to keep an eye out in the Durham Classifieds for a yard sale at Kevin’s……..lol It’ll be like Christmas came early…… 😉

Since you already have them, how difficult would it be to adapt the board buddies to incorporate that 5 degree angle?

I can imagine that, with the discussions that went on about the dangers of ripping on a RAS, these could be adapted to your RAS table fence, in order to help control the kickback problems with this tool.

I am not inclined to do that simply as the RAS is gonna grow legs at some point a leave the building. I’ve kept it around simply to see if I would in fact occasionally need it after finding other alternatives to do what I expected to do with the RAS from when I got it. That period has now passed, and it’s simply a task, albeit somewhat a major task, to redo the area where it is and reorganize things and get rid of it.

really am sold on the “one way” rotation feature of the wheels. Great idea.

Board buddies do the same thing but are a lot less versatile and don’t offer as decent a spring loading mechanism as the Jessems. They also do not incorporate the 5 degree inward pull. I have a pair of them that I used many times over the years, but now I will sell to someone at some point when I get myself a ‘Round-tuit’. With the Jessem TS Stock Guides, there’s no point in keeping the Board Buddies.

Doobie

Will have to keep an eye out in the Durham Classifieds for a yard sale at Kevin’s……..lol It’ll be like Christmas came early…… 😉

One day possibly. I tend to give away stuff to budding woodworkers as a way of paying it forward like some have done for me long ago when I first started.

But, if I do that or have a sale, it would have to be coming from the CWW forum Swap Meet as they don’t allow selling/classifieds on this forum IIRC.

I don’t do Kijiji selling. Just don’t trust complete strangers coming to ky home even if its just dealing with them at the front door, nor the bs associated with Kijiji buyer antics.

Since you already have them, how difficult would it be to adapt the board buddies to incorporate that 5 degree angle?

Good idea! Possibly. Not sure if you did get that 5 degree offset how well they would work, but it is possible I guess.

You’d have to design a fairly elaborate system for them to get them close to the functionality of the Jessem TS stock guides. The ability to bring the BB wheels close to the edge of your fence anywhere near where you can get the Jessem’s would not he possible by virtue of their design for one.

The jig would get awful complicated also to get the ease of adjustability of mov8ng the BB’s closer and further from the fence like the Jessems also.

The BB’s are mounted with 4 bolts to a plate I made for ease of implementation onto my Excalibur fence. Would be a bit of a PITA to have them set up also for ease of adjusting for stock thickness as well imo versus the way the Jesseks work.

Some pics here may help understand better….

Note how close I can get the Jessem roller guide close to the fence compared to the BB rollers. That adjustment is simply uscrew a knob, move it freely to where I want it, rescrew/tighten knob.

The Jessems are very well built. It’s like comparing a putput Chevy to a Rolls Royce. Only a power feeder would be better from all the contraptions I know out there for doing similar.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I don’t do Kijiji selling. Just don’t trust complete strangers coming to ky home even if its just dealing with them at the front door, nor the bs associated with Kijiji buyer antics.

What I do with Craigslist is I will meet people somewhere just down the road to my house so they never see it. That way I don’t have any flakes come to my house.

Yep…….completely different animals. The Jessems are clearly superior.

It’ll be interesting to see if these develop play, with regards to the downward pressure exerted on the board. It’s my understanding that you still need to push down a little while final clamping the height position, in order to make sure you have adequate downward pressure. If that develops play, you might get slight lifting over time.

One day possibly. I tend to give away stuff to budding woodworkers as a way of paying it forward like some have done for me long ago when I first started.

But, if I do that or have a sale, it would have to be coming from the CWW forum Swap Meet as they don’t allow selling/classifieds on this forum IIRC.

Good idea! Possibly. Not sure if you did get that 5 degree offset how well they would work, but it is possible I guess.

You’d have to design a fairly elaborate system for them to get them close to the functionality of the Jessem TS stock guides. The ability to bring the BB wheels close to the edge of your fence anywhere near where you can get the Jessem’s would not he possible by virtue of their design for one.

The jig would get awful complicated also to get the ease of adjustability of mov8ng the BB’s closer and further from the fence like the Jessems also.

The Jessem is mounted with 4 bolts to a plate I made for ease of implementation onto ky Excalibur fence. Would be a bit of a PITA to have them set up also for ease of adjusting for stock thickness as well imo versus the way the Jesseks work.

Some pics here may help understand better….

Doobie

It’ll be interesting to see if these develop play, with regards to the downward pressure exerted on the board. It’s my understanding that you still need to push down a little while final clamping the height position, in order to make sure you have adequate downward pressure. If that develops play, you might get slight lifting over time.

I cannot see this happening. The spring load is a compression spring load that is in a cammed styled mechanism.

The way you apply the downward pressure adjustment is so simple compared to the BB’s. You basically rest your stock on the bottom shoulder of where the stock guide wheel is and tighten the knob to keep that height in place. It is just the right distance so that when you move the stock under the actual rubber wheel, it sets the perfect tension holding the stock in place for feeding. It doesn’t get much better than that.

The BB’s in contract, you have a screw type of adjustor that you have to fiddle with in order to get the right pressure. Even when you think you’ve done it right, you often find yourself readjusting it which can involve running a sample feed thru them with your dado set dropped down and loosing what height adjustment you may have had previously precisely set to your dado height to. The Jessem’s are a lot more foolproof and do not lend themselves to possibly getting your setup fouled up.

BB’s go for $80 bucks or so, and sometimes they can be about $60 on sale on occasion. While the Jessem TS stock guides are a lot more, they are A LOT better in all respects. Often when I do an upgrade such as this, I’m inclined to keep the old item because it does something the upgrade can’t do, or to keep as a back up in case the upgrade malfunctions or is broken. This is not the case here. Somebody shows up at my door with $40 cash right now for my BB’s, it’s theirs.

I’d like to get a closeup view of them to see how the cam mechanism works, in relation to the compression spring.

It sounds like the extra tension is set by the difference in height between the wheel shoulder and the wheel itself. Since you had said that the initial board height setting is set to the shoulder, then that slight difference must allow the compression spring to exert enough tension to keep the board under enough pressure to keep it flat, yet still be able to slide under the guides.

Doobie

I’d like to get a closeup view of them to see how the cam mechanism works, in relation to the compression spring.

Do these help?

Yes, thanks Kevin. It looks like they mount to the fence with t-nuts. Is there an adapter available for fences without a T-slot in the top?

Cool design!

Do these help?

Doobie

Yes, thanks Kevin. It looks like they mount to the fence with t-nuts. Is there an adapter available for fences without a T-slot in the top?

Cool design!

Do these help?

It comes with one which I opted not to use so you can mount it pretty well to any fence you like pretty well. The mounting plate holds both guides and it is the plate that is secured to the fence.

I simply changed the T bolts and the turn knob they came with for ones that would fit my Excalibur fence T-tracks. (Their turn knob is actually a very nice high quality turn knob and will be glad to repurpose elsewhere one day.)

I also liked the added flexibility of having both guides that I can position independent of each other rather than having them bolted to the mounting plate and always be in the same position relative to each other unless I unfasten them and relocate their position on the mounting plate itself.

We’re really getting off track discussing the TS guides in a Dedicated Router Table thread at this point you know. Starting to get that guilty feeling and fearing a finger wag comning our way. :O

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Spammer

@chad
    @dabbs

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chad @dabbs

Got it Thanks

I just wanted to purchase the router table for my house. Than I started to search a good that make me happy and I found a great router table for my house.

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.387 seconds