dcsimg

Deck Mistakes

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Any idea on what the surface of the deck is? It looks like Corian, though I’m sure it’s not.

I would guess Fiberglass. Its becoming really popular up here – our back patio is done in it – perfect material for our climate.

Fiberglass, I haven’t seen that one out here yet.

I hear it’s becoming more popular along the shore on this side. Especially for decks above living areas

Any idea on what the surface of the deck is? It looks like Corian, though I’m sure it’s not.

I would guess Fiberglass. Its becoming really popular up here – our back patio is done in it – perfect material for our climate.

Fiberglass, I haven’t seen that one out here yet.

From the top, it almost looks like really clean new cement, but has a rounder feeling on bare feet. Good traction, easy to clean/powerwash off.

Ours was installed by the previous owners. Its about 10-15 years old now and looks just like the one done next door this summer. No signs of age.

They are great, some companies do them made to measure, with all the cuts and notched areas done. And some do the cutout on site, you have to make sure they repatch the fiberglass and paint, if not sometimes it will end up having water seeping in from the cuts, swelling and de laminate will occur, I have seen it on the condo project we had. But it is a very good product

redwood
    Pro

A friend of mine is a contractor that finishes fiberglass decks. I’ve subbed out a few to him and he had me do all the framing and structural. These were all done over living space, so this one through me.

You will have to take my word for it, but these are 2 of three fiberglass decks we did on this house. 2 of them have roofs over them, 1 does not.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have never heard of a fiberglass deck, I will have to research it .

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Looking into this Fiberglass Deck idea. Doesn’t look like anyone local is doing it. I’ll have to do some more research. If I could do it for a reasonable price It might be a nice extra service to offer.

Plus I like building decks 🙂

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It’s fiberglass. Same materials used for balconies.

Looking into this Fiberglass Deck idea. Doesn’t look like anyone local is doing it. I’ll have to do some more research. If I could do it for a reasonable price It might be a nice extra service to offer.

Plus I like building decks :)

This is mine (due for a pressure wash)

Doobie

Is it DuraDeck that is being referred to as fiberglass decking here?

https://www.duradek.com

Or is it something entirely different?

Dont know duradeck, but it isnt a vinyl membrane. I can see the fibers from below, just like any other molded fiberglass

redwood
    Pro

Plus I like building decks :)

This is mine (due for a pressure wash)

How do you walk on that? Pic is upside down.

duradeck is completely different. I think it’s just a ext. sheet vinyl.

There are different variations of the fiberglass decks. Here is the process of my guy. Coat the subfloor ply with a waterproofing coating. Attach steel lathing. Multiple coats of fiberglass and epoxy/resins. One or more propriety texture coats.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

duradeck is completely different. I think it’s just a ext. sheet vinyl.

There are different variations of the fiberglass decks. Here is the process of my guy. Coat the subfloor ply with a waterproofing coating. Attach steel lathing. Multiple coats of fiberglass and epoxy/resins. One or more propriety texture coats.

Thanks Mark!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Are these fiberglass deck a epoxy or polyester resin?

redwood
    Pro

Don’t be so technical DW. Actually, I’m not sure. I know resins are used for surfboards, but I know that West Systems Epoxy can use fiberglass for strength, as well.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Don’t be so technical DW. Actually, I’m not sure. I know resins are used for surfboards, but I know that West Systems Epoxy can use fiberglass for strength, as well.

Technical Ok ,, there goes my question on if they were using a E-glass or a stiffer S-glass. I guess the resin is colored so it doesn’t need painting.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.316 seconds