dcsimg

Deck Mistakes

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

don’t go up there, run away.

Yea the guy may have had his brother or even himself do and thinks it’s a great job.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Disaster waiting to happen

What are those steel post sticking out of the ground?? Are those hilpiers?

It almost looks like they buried jack posts, my gaud what were they thinking?

They weren’t

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A lot depends on the span and loading and design of the beam. If each section is designed as a simple (single) span, then over the post is fine. In multiple spans, the 1/4 point is considered the location of 0 moment. The only catch is that a single member will need to handle all of the shear at that point. I think the biggest concern is that unless totally impossible is to stagger the splices so that they do not occur over the same post.

Doobie

Are those not helical driven metal piers? Still, you can’t have the load supports connected to them like that.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I can not imagine anyone who would frame it like that ever having heard of helical driven metal piers.

Doobie

That was a 4’x 16′ deck in front of the house.
    I sent these pictures to a friend of mine who’s doing decks for a living and he texted me : don’t go up there, run away.
    In the back it was an identical – jack post speaking – deck but muck bigger 11′ x 16 ‘. I don’t have pictures for that one. No support in the middle, just 11′ joists.
    Both, front and back yard deck, didn’t have any blocks between the joist.

Do you know how long it’s been that way? Was it a project/repair started but never finished?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The whole house was renovated by a “general contractor” [ sic ], who also built the decks. I’m talking $200.000 ( thousands ) renovation.

Disaster waiting to happen

Just to be sure I understand what Im seeing, the big issue is the stacking of multiple blocks between the porch and the metal piles? Not to mention the offset, so the weight isnt even centered on the piles?

Just curious. Looks very wrong to me, but not 100% sure what else I may be missing with my non-experienced eye.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The whole house was renovated by a “general contractor” [ sic ], who also built the decks. I’m talking $200.000 ( thousands ) renovation.

So the rest of the place looks just as awesome?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The rest of the place looks like they are about to start renovating but the owners moved in because everything is, apparently, finished: hardwood floors, windows, bathrooms, canexel, etc.
    Plenty of water alongside of the house which suggest that there is no french drain installed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

let a few people stand or sit on the edge and it’s going to topple….nothing good about this

Doobie

Ouch tabarnac! 😉

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Those helica piles are probably fine. The connection is unacceptable and the framer appears to have been afraid of shifting his cantilever offset to line them up better. If they add another ply to the back of the beam and kick the 4×4 into plumb it would be pretty good. Even a notched 6×6 with that set up would sit better on the pier and prevent the beam from rotating.

Good thing the porch is a short one and wont move around with lateral loads.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If they were piers, It could be salvaged with proper techniques like a shoe on the pier for the post and some sort of post cap hardware to tie the post to the beam. adjusting the beam location or adding a ply to center the load over the post would help also. Unfortunately I do not think they are helical piers.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Unfortunately I do not think they are helical piers.

I am with you there Kurt, they just look like some steel posts that got stuck in the ground, maybe even some jack posts…

I am sure that there is plenty of things wrong with the framing that isn’t visible in that pic.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Any idea on what the surface of the deck is? It looks like Corian, though I’m sure it’s not.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Any idea on what the surface of the deck is? It looks like Corian, though I’m sure it’s not.

I would guess Fiberglass. Its becoming really popular up here – our back patio is done in it – perfect material for our climate.

Man thats bad, but at least they put the mail box back. lol but for real , how can they think thats right. be interesting to see the rest of the contractors work. yikes.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would guess Fiberglass. Its becoming really popular up here – our back patio is done in it – perfect material for our climate.

Fiberglass, I haven’t seen that one out here yet.

Fiberglass, I haven’t seen that one out here yet.

From the top, it almost looks like really clean new cement, but has a rounder feeling on bare feet. Good traction, easy to clean/powerwash off.

Ours was installed by the previous owners. Its about 10-15 years old now and looks just like the one done next door this summer. No signs of age.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.451 seconds