dcsimg

Deck Mistakes

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mark, those are some nice hand rails you designed and made. Very nice touch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

When we do make add a handrail, we take a 2×6 and rout it to acceptable specs.

That looks a lot better than the one posted where there was a handrail mounted inside post construction to meet someone’s code.
    Looks a whole lot easier too.
    What’s the source of the code for the handrails? Local, national, accepted building practices?

redwood
    Pro

What’s the source of the code for the handrails? Local, national, accepted building practices?

Like everything else, all of the above. I usually followed the Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, which is based upon the 2009 International Residential Code. I think that there has been a update since that version.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The 2012 IRC is the code in most areas now. I do not believe there has been much changes in the handrail section of the code in the last couple of revisions. I would have to say, handrails are probably the most under designed portion of most decks ant the place where the most problems occur.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

yes, not much has changed to hand / guardrails.

post connections yes..

yellaD
    Pro

Big difference between a pro whos got expertise in one or two areas all his career vs jack of all trades. The details make the difference in most of those mistakes.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Disaster waiting to happen

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That is ugly – real ugly.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

Hard to believe.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That is ugly – real ugly.

It goes right into fugly!

redwood
    Pro

At least it is not very high off the ground.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What are those steel post sticking out of the ground?? Are those hilpiers?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Which will go first? The post or the mailbox?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That doesn’t look normal, seems it would be just as expensive as doing it right.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

What are those steel post sticking out of the ground?? Are those hilpiers?

It almost looks like they buried jack posts, my gaud what were they thinking?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That was a 4’x 16′ deck in front of the house.
    I sent these pictures to a friend of mine who’s doing decks for a living and he texted me : don’t go up there, run away.
    In the back it was an identical – jack post speaking – deck but muck bigger 11′ x 16 ‘. I don’t have pictures for that one. No support in the middle, just 11’ joists.
    Both, front and back yard deck, didn’t have any blocks between the joist.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Other then sometimes omitting the handrail requirements, I don’t do any of those bad boy things. When we do make add a handrail, we take a 2×6 and rout it to acceptable specs.

Very nice work. That’s some real nice wood you’ve got there too. Our PT is absolute crap.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

As for the Article:

#10 is wrong. A beam is stronger when split on quarter points. Helps balance the load. Also extends the difference between ends of splices. Our code (canada) puts our split points at max quarter points.

Aseverid mentioned stairs earlier. Around here, AFAIK, the acceptable difference for stairs is 1/4″. Pretty easy to make a single set of stairs equal. The difference between two sets joined by a landing is supposed to be 1/4″ or less as well, though most good builders won’t allow more than 1/8th (i.e. each rise on upper set is 7 3/8, lower section should be between 7 1/4″ to 7 1/2″ rise) I don’t do many stairs.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In the US, all Beam splices are required over posts. they are the strongest there. In steel construction splices are permissible at points between the columns. I believe the code you are looking at requires the splices at 1/4 points or less, preferably over the post.

Stairs in the US are allowed 3/8″ variance in a run and as much variance as you want between landings. In all reality a good carpenter should be able to get everything within 1/8″ in a run and on each side of a landing.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

In the US, all Beam splices are required over posts. they are the strongest there. In steel construction splices are permissible at points between the columns. I believe the code you are looking at requires the splices at 1/4 points or less, preferably over the post.

Stairs in the US are allowed 3/8″ variance in a run and as much variance as you want between landings. In all reality a good carpenter should be able to get everything within 1/8″ in a run and on each side of a landing.

Yes, 1/4 point or less.

I really don’t like the idea of splitting a beam only on a post. I’d be more concerned about the integrity of the joint. 1/4 points or less helps strengthen the beam, similar to how a cantilever takes some of the pressure off the un-cantilevered section. Just my .02

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.623 seconds