dcsimg

Deck Board Straightening Tool

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

The chrome collar between the wood handle and the head on the hardwood wrench looks like a potential weak spot too.

I thought of that too, but looking at how well the tool is made overall, the price of the tool, and not having read any reviews/comments online that indicates any issue about the handles becoming loose, I’m trusting it’s well made in that collar area as well.

The BoWrench is a solid steel tube….maybe not a big deal, but it seems like the solid steel tool is probably better.

You read that? Looks like hollow tube steel construction to me in pics with end caps.

It’s probably fine for PT or Cedar, but how well it would fare with South American hardwoods like Ipe is what I’m concerned about as that is what is in the plans for when I build my deck.

Doobie
    Pro

So Jon, did you buy any of them yet? Sounded like you were leaning towards the BoWrench.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So Jon, did you buy any of them yet? Sounded like you were leaning towards the BoWrench.

Yes, I ended up going with the BoWrench. I have several deck jobs lined up, but won’t start the first one for a week or two.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Yes, I ended up going with the BoWrench. I have several deck jobs lined up, but won’t start the first one for a week or two.

I’m hoping to hear what you think of it once you get a chance to use it for a while.

I have the one you linked to at home depot, it is annoying but relatively effective for moderate board straightening, I even used it on my own cedar deck and those boards with moderate straightening have maintained their shape. One or two when I pushed the limits have moved, I have not recently been back to other locations where boards were bent.

Will

Clev08
    Pro

I found this one on ebay, looks like it would be good for a one man crew.

Doobie
    Pro

I think that tool might be long discontinued as I can’t find it available anywhere but on Amazon.com. There’s some negative reviews I read there about how it is prone to slippage and it seems to simply be an accessory item needing a specific model of Pony clamps to work.

Clev08
    Pro

I think that tool might be long discontinued as I can’t find it available anywhere but on Amazon.com. There’s some negative reviews I read there about how it is prone to slippage and it seems to simply be an accessory item needing a specific model of Pony clamps to work.

Interesting, so I could benefit from some spikes that dig into the side of the wood to prevent it from slipping and the ability to use a generic pipe clamp. It’s also limited because it can only pull boards together.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I wouldn’t be pulling on a fastened down board. You could pull it loose.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.282 seconds