dcsimg

Deciphering Dremel kit numbers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So I need a new Dremel as my last one overheated and died.

In looking up possible replacements, I came across different Dremel models 3000, 4000, 4300, 7760, 8220

What’s really confusing are various kits.

Dremel 4000-5/45
    Dremel 4000-4/34
    Dremel 4000-2/30
    Dremel 4000-6/50
    Dremel 4000-9/64

Took me a few minutes to decipher this. The model number that takes the form of Dremel XXXX-N/M means:

XXXX is the model number of the Dremel. So if these four digits are the same it’s the same tool. The higher the tool number the more “advanced” it is but this is not universally true.

N means the number of attachments that comes with the tool.

M means the number of accessories.

So a Dremel 4000-2/30 is the same exact tool as a Dremel 4000-4/34, but one has 2 attachments + 30 accessories and the other has 4 attachments and 34 accessories.

An attachment is something like a flex shaft, a circle cutting guide, where an accessory would be a cutting disk, a grinding wheel.

Now, a 4000-4/34 does not necessarily mean it has everything a 4000-2/30 has. It may have more attachments but not the same attachments. If you buy a kit you really have to look at the attachments closely or you end up with stuff you don’t need. 90% of the time I am cutting with it so attachments and accessories for engraving I have no use for.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse, that is really great info. Thank you for posting. I have often wondered about that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I can’t recall ever seeing the tool only for sale. Perhaps I have not been paying attention, but they all seem to come in some sort of kit.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The bare tool may not be available on it’s own, that may be because most of them come with some sort of a hard case, with specific space in the case designed for the accessories and attachments. So I guess it makes sense to throw in some accessories to make it look more complete. If you need to get the bare tool get the lowest number on the model number’s right side, like a -1/26 would be almost a bare tool with one attachment and 26 accessories.

Depends on the model, some do offer no attachment and only a bare minimum accessories like some cut off disks. For example, the Dremel 3000-N/18 is as close to a bare tool as one can. It is a 3000 series with no attachment (I think N stands for Nil?) and 18 accessories.

I am also surprised at how much BIGGER the newer Dremel has become. The one that broke which I owned for a long long time was very compact, the entire length of the tool fits in my hand. The newer ones are longer with more girth. Frankly to use it for more delicate tasks I would rather have the smaller version tight space, if I want a bigger meaner more powerful Dremel I would go for a die grinder instead. So now they have a flex shaft attachment where you hang up the Dremel and attach the flex shaft which makes it smaller to hold in your hand.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So here is a 4000-5/45 I bought today. I do want to note something that I have not seen before, which is the case.

Now they call this a “HARD” case. I am not so sure it’s hard. It’s some nylon fabric. However it is not a bag either. It does stand up and has a shape, it zips around like a suitcase, and has two layers of inserts. See attachments for more pictures. Normally I like to embedd pictures in a post where the context is more clear, but with the bug I will just attach the rest and hopefully that works.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So here is a 4000-5/45 I bought today. I do want to note something that I have not seen before, which is the case.

First time I am seeing that case for a Dremel tool. Usually they have a gray hard plastic case. I am really liking the new design.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

First time I am seeing that case for a Dremel tool. Usually they have a gray hard plastic case. I am really liking the new design.

The only thing is if these cases won’t take abuses. I think if you stack stuff on top of it in a van or toss it on top of something else over time it may wear easily. Also if you leave it outside and it rains water will seep in.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The only thing is if these cases won’t take abuses. I think if you stack stuff on top of it in a van or toss it on top of something else over time it may wear easily. Also if you leave it outside and it rains water will seep in.

Very true, never looked at it like that until you mentioned it. Good point.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well today was the second time I used this Dremel. The first time I used it worked fine. Now a second time plugged in and turned switch on, nothing.

Checked power at receptacle, no issue, went back to the dremel and nothing. Turned switch on and off a few times, nothing. Out of frustration I dropped the tool a few inches on a platform and it started…???

Picked it up and turned it off, on again and nothing. Bang the tool on the wall and it turned on.

I used it on and off again and few times, each time the tool needs a slap or a bang to come on.

Looked up their customer service and they are closed till end of May. They are Bosch owned, quality seems to have gone down.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Could be a wire not very well connected that’s coming on and off as you shaking it.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Well today was the second time I used this Dremel. The first time I used it worked fine. Now a second time plugged in and turned switch on, nothing.

Checked power at receptacle, no issue, went back to the dremel and nothing. Turned switch on and off a few times, nothing. Out of frustration I dropped the tool a few inches on a platform and it started…???

Picked it up and turned it off, on again and nothing. Bang the tool on the wall and it turned on.

I used it on and off again and few times, each time the tool needs a slap or a bang to come on.

Looked up their customer service and they are closed till end of May. They are Bosch owned, quality seems to have gone down.

Pull the nose off and there’s small torx screws to remove. Check to see if the coupling splines are broke and jamming the tool

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Call Bosch service they advertise they are open and willing to support.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well, guess what, since I bought it in January 2020 I have only used it three times. Today I needed it to cut a rusted steel nut and one minute in the tool started getting real hot and smoke came out with a burnt smell.

My old Dremel worked fine for 15 years. This new one is a total piece of junk. I called them and they gave me a form to fill out to send it in for warranty service, I have to pay shipping.

I guess these products are getting crappier and crappier.

Bosch owns Dremel but I don’t think they run their own shows.

I am looking to buy another small compact rotary tool that’s not Dremel for the occasional close quarter inteference cut I need to make.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, guess what, since I bought it in January 2020 I have only used it three times. Today I needed it to cut a rusted steel nut and one minute in the tool started getting real hot and smoke came out with a burnt smell.

Man you have like 0 luck with grinding tools. My Dremels like yours lasted forever. Replaced last summer not because the tool went bad but because the batteries were junk.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Man you have like 0 luck with grinding tools. My Dremels like yours lasted forever. Replaced last summer not because the tool went bad but because the batteries were junk.

Mine was corded. I didn’t even use it enough times for a battery to matter in fact a battery would probably die from non-use. Mostly I use it to cut nuts, caps, tub drains, or whatever who’s threads have seized and needed something really small and delicate.

I cannot believe this new tool just die like that. Searching online reviews seems to have quite a few compliants on overheating and smoking. Probably bad design and cheap Chinese factories with no Q&A.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cheap Chinese factories with no Q&A.

Man that is a real shame, Dremel has such a good name.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Miamicuse wow talk about bad luck , sorry to hear about your frustrations.
    That is a heck of a lot of different kits and p/o numbers 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.312 seconds