dcsimg

dam…

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t know if any of you are following the huge Three Gorges Dam project in China. This monster dam is said too be so big and the weight of the long “lake” formed upstream of it is so heavy it slowed the earth’s rotation.

Anyways, recently someone posted a picture of Google Maps showing the dam have warped or shifted in position.

China’s official position is the dam is doing fine and is operating within design parameters.

A few days later, they said the picture showing the warping on the left was caused by Google Maps’ internal algorithms.

Then even later, Official Chinese media, including China News Service, quoted China Three Gorges Corporation’s WeChat group as saying that dam deformation is in an “elastic state” and that all indexes are within the allowable range as designed.

No one knows what’s going on, but if I owned properties downstream of this dam thing, I am selling them now.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

It’s pretty scary.

I’ve been following it off and on since it began, and speculation of it’s impending failure has been constant.

The irreversible ecological, historical and social damage has been astronomical.

China reminds me of America in the 1880’s, but with up-to-date technology. 😮

Goin' Down In Flames........

CB
    Pro

They should have paid off a civil engineering professor to send them some dam ideas… like they paid an electrical engineering professor to send them some top secret microwave tracking chips utilized by US missile systems.

I guess those chips must have really worked well, as the US authorities managed to track down the UCLA professor who misrepresented himself to acquire the samples from the supplier. He traded his tenure for ten years.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t know if any of you are following the huge Three Gorges Dam project in China. This monster dam is said too be so big and the weight of the long “lake” formed upstream of it is so heavy it slowed the earth’s rotation.

Anyways, recently someone posted a picture of Google Maps showing the dam have warped or shifted in position.

China’s official position is the dam is doing fine and is operating within design parameters.

A few days later, they said the picture showing the warping on the left was caused by Google Maps’ internal algorithms.

Then even later, Official Chinese media, including China News Service, quoted China Three Gorges Corporation’s WeChat group as saying that dam deformation is in an “elastic state” and that all indexes are within the allowable range as designed.

No one knows what’s going on, but if I owned properties downstream of this dam thing, I am selling them now.

I can’t say I have been following this. Even if anybody knew what was going on. Would they really say something.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That dam thing is such a big monster.

An engineer who was present during construction of the dam, who later on left the country and moved to Germany, commented that back then when they were doing concrete pours for the dam, they did not do adequate mixing of the concrete, they let the concrete mix sat too long, they didn’t do enough to get rid of the voids after the pour. The workers were inexperienced and basically forced labors. They had advised the higher up that they should just blow up the half built dam and start over. The order from the premier at the time said no and to forge ahead and patch what they can. The engineer also indicated the concrete will move because it’s not tied to bedrock, the dam is made of huge blocks basically sitting there on it’s weight and friction.

Independent analysis of the dam seems to suggest it will last about 50 years.

So far it has not solve the flooding issue of the river because they need to keep water high for the hydroelectric generation. In fact there have been more flooding since the dam was up.

“The Google satellite images aren’t photos that were taken directly by camera. They’re pictures that were made after calculating,” Cao told The Paper. “Google’s Three Gorges Dam terrain is often inaccurate because the coordinates that Google used have been processed.”

The Paper has since deleted the report, but many Chinese web portals retained their reposted versions.

Eventually, on July 8, the dam operator, the state-run China Three Gorges Corporation, admitted via posts on its official Weibo and WeChat accounts that there was a deformity, but the dam was safe because the deformity was within safety margins.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Eventually, on July 8, the dam operator, the state-run China Three Gorges Corporation, admitted via posts on its official Weibo and WeChat accounts that there was a deformity, but the dam was safe because the deformity was within safety margins.

That’s more than a deformity. A snake looks better while hurrying to cross the road.
    And it’s only 9 years apart.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

An engineer who was present during construction of the dam, who later on left the country and moved to Germany, commented that back then when they were doing concrete pours for the dam, they did not do adequate mixing of the concrete, they let the concrete mix sat too long, they didn’t do enough to get rid of the voids after the pour. The workers were inexperienced and basically forced labors. They had advised the higher up that they should just blow up the half built dam and start over. The order from the premier at the time said no and to forge ahead and patch what they can. The engineer also indicated the concrete will move because it’s not tied to bedrock, the dam is made of huge blocks basically sitting there on it’s weight and friction.

Independent analysis of the dam seems to suggest it will last about 50 years.

So far it has not solve the flooding issue of the river because they need to keep water high for the hydroelectric generation. In fact there have been more flooding since the dam was up.

“The Google satellite images aren’t photos that were taken directly by camera. They’re pictures that were made after calculating,” Cao told The Paper. “Google’s Three Gorges Dam terrain is often inaccurate because the coordinates that Google used have been processed.”

The Paper has since deleted the report, but many Chinese web portals retained their reposted versions.

You love how they say that the dam is within safety margins.

Greg

Doobie

I think there is nothing wrong with this dam and people are yanking your chains with these nutty pics of what looks to me to be simply pre-completion pics of the damn while the upper structure was still to be completed and the reservoir was still filling up, versus completed pics that now have the upper area completed that is not a nice straight looking line when taken at an angle aerially.

Look closely again.

And also look at this mock-up artist rendering of the dam and you’ll see what I mean.

Somebody out there is having a good laugh.

Attachments:

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This dam was a huge engineering marvel. I remember reading about it in Engineering News Record. While a massive energy and flood control project, it displaced tens if not hundreds of thousands of people who lived in the areas that became the reservoir. There was also a frantic archeological search in the areas flooded to find, document and recover any relics in that area before they would be lost to time.

With all the other construction failures you read about in other areas of china, it is possible that something was over looked in the construction of the dam.

Dams are one of those projects that if a catastrophic failure does occur, there can be a great loss of life and property downstream, especially with one this big. Hopefully, if they do determine that there is a problem, they can do a controlled draw down before a catastrophic event happens.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Dams are one of those projects that if a catastrophic failure does occur, there can be a great loss of life and property downstream, especially with one this big. Hopefully, if they do determine that there is a problem, they can do a controlled draw down before a catastrophic event happens.

Even a controlled drawdown could be a major challenge with a volume of water that size. I recall reading about how long it took to completely fill the reservoir. Disruption to downstream activities would be serious, for sure.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This dam was a huge engineering marvel. I remember reading about it in Engineering News Record. While a massive energy and flood control project, it displaced tens if not hundreds of thousands of people who lived in the areas that became the reservoir. There was also a frantic archeological search in the areas flooded to find, document and recover any relics in that area before they would be lost to time.

With all the other construction failures you read about in other areas of china, it is possible that something was over looked in the construction of the dam.

Lets hope they find out if there is something wrong with dam. Before it is too late.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think there is nothing wrong with this dam and people are yanking your chains with these nutty pics of what looks to me to be simply pre-completion pics of the damn while the upper structure was still to be completed and the reservoir was still filling up, versus completed pics that now have the upper area completed that is not a nice straight looking line when taken at an angle aerially.

Look closely again.

And also look at this mock-up artist rendering of the dam and you’ll see what I mean.

This issue has been widely reported. The Chinese government themselves didn’t deny that there has been horizontal and vertical deformations. They only said the deformations are “within design parameters” but didn’t elaborate further.

I just fired up my own copy of Google Earth Pro and looked at the aerials of the Three Gorges Dam. GEP allows you to see these aerials with overlays on historical aerials.

These are the images I captured on the historical satellite aerials.

Take a look at what it looks like in 2002.

Then in 2005:

2013:

2016:

2017:

Then in April of 2018:

Now it is possible this is a byproduct of image processing, as satellite imagery captured in pieces have to be stitched together with software and due to correction for elevations, curvatures and other factors plus digital ortho rectification, you might end up with images that looks deformed in spots.

I do hope this is some sort of image processing variance and not really a shift in the dam. But the Chinese engineer who was on the inside and have since immigrated to Germany said the dam is shifting, and the base is not anchored to the bedrock, and expect it to last not more than 50 years.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Look closely again.

This issue has been widely reported. The Chinese government themselves didn’t deny that there has been horizontal and vertical deformations. They only said the deformations are “within design parameters” but didn’t elaborate further.

I just fired up my own copy of Google Earth Pro and looked at the aerials of the Three Gorges Dam. GEP allows you to see these aerials with overlays on historical aerials.

These are the images I captured on the historical satellite aerials.

Take a look at what it looks like in 2002.

Then in 2005:

2013:

2016:

2017:

Then in April of 2018:

Now it is possible this is a byproduct of image processing, as satellite imagery captured in pieces have to be stitched together with software and due to correction for elevations, curvatures and other factors plus digital ortho rectification, you might end up with images that looks deformed in spots.

I do hope this is some sort of image processing variance and not really a shift in the dam. But the Chinese engineer who was on the inside and have since immigrated to Germany said the dam is shifting, and the base is not anchored to the bedrock, and expect it to last not more than 50 years.

I looked at it yesterday , I also went down the little river with the Google maps , I also noticed that the smaller bridge had the similar deformed bridge , obviously it’s not a dam and just a bridge , but I couldn’t believe how it was so deformed.
    I’m definitely not sure what to think ,

Doobie

I looked at it yesterday , I also went down the little river with the Google maps , I also noticed that the smaller bridge had the similar deformed bridge , obviously it’s not a dam and just a bridge , but I couldn’t believe how it was so deformed.

I think that just shows how these camera shots from a satellite miles and miles in space above our earths atmosphere can have some kind of light refraction of sorts that distorts things at times. I still don’t think there’s anything wrong with this dam and it’s all just a bunch of bunk from these distorted pics that get taken. That’s my theory and I’m stickin’ to it! ….for now. Lol!

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I think that just shows how these camera shots from a satellite miles and miles in space above our earths atmosphere can have some kind of light refraction of sorts that distorts things at times. I still don’t think there’s anything wrong with this dam and it’s all just a bunch of bunk from these distorted pics that get taken. That’s my theory and I’m stickin’ to it! ….for now. Lol!

LoL. I really haven’t read up on it yet , and I’m still not sure what to think about it.
    But yeah definitely could be like what you mentioned.
    That also being said
    Isn’t some of the not so true stories about what’s inside our medical and pet food plus lead paint and a slew of other issues coming out of the same part of the world 🤔🧐

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Not sure what is going on with the 2018 imagery.

The “distortion” looks very pronounced, almost unbelievable.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, before LiDAR technology, we used to create surface models of the existing ground for roadway design, by doing aerial photographs at different angles, then processing the images to create 3D models. For large jobs at the DOTs sometimes earth curvatures have to be accounted for to project the aerials back onto state plane grids so we have to reprocess all the data points and do digital ortho rectification, which may result in some least square warping of the data. But the warp is spread through the site, and won’t create bumps like this. Not sure what processing Google is using, but whatever that is, the same issue is not in any of the previous dates.

Doobie

Not sure what processing Google is using, but whatever that is, the same issue is not in any of the previous dates.

Maybe the next image available next year will show it straight again. Who knows. We’ll just yave to wait and see.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.382 seconds