dcsimg

Cutting large holes in Tile

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Does Dremel make a diamond cutting piece? I haven’t had to do this yet, but for toilets I could see using a grinder for sure. The shower head cutouts seem like they need to be more precise with errors fitting within the outline of the escutcheon, so I’d be reaching for my Dremel if they had a cutting head that would work.

pgc555
    Pro
    Gilberts, Illinois

Grinder cut on this one too.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

Is there a specific cutting wheel for cutting different kinds of tile for large holes with a grinder?

I just use the basic . Diamond, I have a serrated one,but mostly use the regular ones.

Is there a specific cutting wheel for cutting different kinds of tile for large holes with a grinder?

I prefer a solid rim vs serrated rim for cutting tile. The serrated seem better in block and concrete.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I prefer a solid rim vs serrated rim for cutting tile. The serrated seem better in block and concrete.

I like the this and solid diamond blades for tile also.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Thanks guys. I have a diamond non-serated edge blade for my little Bosch grinder. I was just thinking that with so many different types of tiles, there were maybe some that required different types of cutters versus others.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Same here, solid rim diamond blade for big cuts. I have a couple segmented blades but use them block, concrete, and the occasional brick.

Speaking of…I could use another solid rim blade, might look on the rewards list.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Same here, solid rim diamond blade for big cuts. I have a couple segmented blades but use them block, concrete, and the occasional brick.

Speaking of…I could use another solid rim blade, might look on the rewards list.

Hey Chad , I have a bunch of them , would you like me to send you a couple 4 and 1/2 inch . no charge 🙂

I use my jigsaw…JS572, in fact with the the blades Bosch sells and some water sprayed on the blade. Did a perfect job cutting lots and lots of curved pieces in my travertine. Might not be perfect for all jobs, but it worked perfectly. Otherwise, a large hole saw would do the trick.

I’ve seen those blades…seems like it could shatter the tile though. Are you using the diamond grit or the toothed ceramic blade?

Sorry for the delay – been traveling. I use the T130 “DG” — Diamond Grit with good success. It is slow, but on slow speed and plenty of water spritzed on the blade it works well. I made lots of intricate cuts in tumbled limestone and only had one or two pieces break. The key was proper support of the tile to minimize vibration.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

I use my jigsaw…JS572, in fact with the the blades Bosch sells and some water sprayed on the blade. Did a perfect job cutting lots and lots of curved pieces in my travertine. Might not be perfect for all jobs, but it worked perfectly. Otherwise, a large hole saw would do the trick.

Travertine is pretty soft compared to a lot of other tiles/stones though.

Travertine is pretty soft compared to a lot of other tiles/stones though.

Yep. But I have cut granite and good old ceramic too with this method. I think the wheels are the way to go for lots of cuts and learned some good tips on this thread.

Orange County, CA

My Dewalt grinder the other day .

Attachments:

Always willing to learn .

I do the same thing to cut my holes.

TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

May work for something soft like travertine, but I would never waste my time with a jigsaw. Grinder and be done.

What grinder setup you using @TNTSERVICES .

Always willing to learn .

TNTSERVICES
    Pro
    Naperville, Illinois

Bosch 4 1/2″ grinder with a Handi Disc from Bad Dog Tools.

Like the grinder idea, never used it for this. I will get a blade or 2 real soon

Like the grinder idea, never used it for this. I will get a blade or 2 real soon

When do you need it for Ed,

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.446 seconds