dcsimg

Cutting large holes in Tile

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    AndyG
    Pro

I’m with Chad. I ll even do mosaic s around the fixtures sometimes.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I haven’t used the big tile yet Chad. Kinda scares me actually!
    I know eventually someone will just have to have it! lol
    You will have to try the big hole saws and let us know what you think.
    I would think you will need something to hold the tile stabile while drilling it also?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use my jigsaw…JS572, in fact with the the blades Bosch sells and some water sprayed on the blade. Did a perfect job cutting lots and lots of curved pieces in my travertine. Might not be perfect for all jobs, but it worked perfectly. Otherwise, a large hole saw would do the trick.

I’ve seen those blades…seems like it could shatter the tile though. Are you using the diamond grit or the toothed ceramic blade?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I’m with Chad. I ll even do mosaic s around the fixtures sometimes.

Nice to see you chime in Andy. Haven’t been hearing from you much the last few months. Miss your posts/knowledge.

🙂

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

If you end up using one of those big hole saw bits I would suggest drilling in reverse first to score the tile. They can jump around pretty good on you and chip/Crack the tiles.

lulu
    Pro

When I do cut through tile which is rare I usually use a diamond whole saw and a spray bottle full of water. I start the hole with both hands then once it starts I spray it till it goes through.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If you end up using one of those big hole saw bits I would suggest drilling in reverse first to score the tile. They can jump around pretty good on you and chip/Crack the tiles.

Kyle, are you referring to a carbide tipped/bi metal saw or a carbide/diamond grit? I’m assuming you mean a toothed saw otherwise reverse wouldn’t change much. How does this effect the life of the saw?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Kyle, are you referring to a carbide tipped/bi metal saw or a carbide/diamond grit? I’m assuming you mean a toothed saw otherwise reverse wouldn’t change much. How does this effect the life of the saw?

I’m referring to a saw bit with teeth/segmented edges. I’ve used this technique a few times drilling through tile, and it’s worked out very well for me. I haven’t noticed that bits wear down any more or less. I do the same for drilling holes in fiberglass tubs and showers.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is a good tip @kswiss on drilling reverse on the fiberglass showers. I get pretty nervous drilling the hole in the walls. One slip and its trash. Thanks for the tip.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

That is a good tip @kswiss on drilling reverse on the fiberglass showers. I get pretty nervous drilling the hole in the walls. One slip and its trash. Thanks for the tip.

No problem I’ll usually just drill right through in reverse the whole time.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

No problem I’ll usually just drill right through in reverse the whole time.

Have you ever messed one up? I just know it will happen to me one day.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Have you ever messed one up? I just know it will happen to me one day.

I have messed one up before, that’s mostly why I started doing the reverse technique. If you get lucky, the trim might cover the spot where you slip.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I haven’t used the big tile yet Chad. Kinda scares me actually!

One thing you really have to watch with big tile on the is that your substrate is as flat as possible – a high corner really sticks out on a wall. Once you have that accomplished you can tile a shower pretty quick with a 18″x18″ tile.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

AndyG
    Pro

The bigger the tile, the flatter the surface needs to be.

If you haven’t looked into a tile leveling system check out tye RLS by Raimondi. Works great for getting tile edges all in plane.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

AndyG
    Pro

We use it. Insures a good job .

Doobie

If you haven’t looked into a tile leveling system check out tye RLS by Raimondi. Works great for getting tile edges all in plane.

I was looking for that system @Overanalyze, but nobody here near where I live carries it. The local tile pro shop said he used to carry it but went with another system that is made here in Canada.

http://ptxgroup-store.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=74

Opinions on it versus the Raimondi are welcome.

Sorry for the mini thread steal @ChadM. 🙂

I have used the leveling shims systems on large format tiles. Can’t see not using them from now on. Results are really flat floor.

No input on any other systems from me @Doobie. I bought the RLS system based on many recommendations from other guys on CT. The pliers are very helpful. The clips snap right off when the thinset is cured. It has a pretty low cost for clips too. Wedges last a long long time. I will be using it again for the bath I am doing now.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

AndyG
    Pro

I agree. I work around some fairly accomplished setters, and clips are a good thing ….they insure quality.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.428 seconds