dcsimg

Cutting concrete/brick concern

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jon jponto07 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

I have a concern about adding a electrical outlet on the front of my house. The electrician said he can go through the bricks (small red bricks). My concern is will cutting/knocking out a hole weaken the brinks around it? Also what would you use to seal around the outlet once it’s installed so you don’t get a draft inside or have heat escape out or get bugs/insects or maybe mice coming in? I wondering if it would be better have a outlet install on the over hang instead of on the front in the brick area.

Thanks

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If the hole is cut to the proper size and sales (sparky should handle all of that), you’ll be fine.

The wall will still be structurally sound as well.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

Alright. Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

drill without hammer operation on the drill and use expanding foam to seal behind and around the box.

I would drill a series of small holes to outline the box then use an omt to cut between with a blade such as the Bosch OSL114CG

Profile photo of Delta
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

The brick is more than likely a cladding, meaning there is a standard stud wall with plywood sheathing behind it. Shouldn’t have an insect problem.

I’d seal it with 100% silicone, personally, but that certainly is not the only suitable product.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

Thanks for the advise Kurt and seven delta.

It’s pretty standard to drill throw brick for power outlets . Sds-max drill bit will have no problems . You can you foam to seal the hole up . They even have big ones now to keep them away if it’s under a overhang no need for silicone .

drill without hammer operation on the drill and use expanding foam to seal behind and around the box.

I would drill a series of small holes to outline the box then use an omt to cut between with a blade such as the Bosch OSL114CG

I never new that had blades like this . Seems it would be a bit slow going .

Always willing to learn .

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

I will have to see what the electrician will say and do. Only reason I want a outlet on the front is if I need power for something I can use a extension chord plus using for the Holidays like Halloween and Christmas.

I think, so you should consult with a professional concrete/brick contractors because they are the one who can give you proper advice. My neighbor was also dealing with this same situation so they had consulted ___ contractors, who had provided them with the best advice.

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

OK. Thanks for the reply Duane.

Profile photo of Ryan
    RyanF
    Pro

OK. Thanks for the reply Duane.

😕

Profile photo of Charles
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Put this one in at my house 30 yrs ago. 1/4″ carbide drill bit, Drill ( without hammer like Kurt said) hammer and chisel is all I used.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think, so you should consult with a professional concrete/brick contractors because they are the one who can give you proper advice. My neighbor was also dealing with this same situation so they had consulted with ___contractors, who had provided them with the best advice.

@duanephillips, I removed the link in your post. We do not allow advertising on BTP.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.614 seconds