dcsimg

Cutting concrete/brick concern

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  WoodsConstruction 4 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a concern about adding a electrical outlet on the front of my house. The electrician said he can go through the bricks (small red bricks). My concern is will cutting/knocking out a hole weaken the brinks around it? Also what would you use to seal around the outlet once it’s installed so you don’t get a draft inside or have heat escape out or get bugs/insects or maybe mice coming in? I wondering if it would be better have a outlet install on the over hang instead of on the front in the brick area.

Thanks

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If the hole is cut to the proper size and sales (sparky should handle all of that), you’ll be fine.

The wall will still be structurally sound as well.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Alright. Thanks. I appreciate the input.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

drill without hammer operation on the drill and use expanding foam to seal behind and around the box.

I would drill a series of small holes to outline the box then use an omt to cut between with a blade such as the Bosch OSL114CG

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

The brick is more than likely a cladding, meaning there is a standard stud wall with plywood sheathing behind it. Shouldn’t have an insect problem.

I’d seal it with 100% silicone, personally, but that certainly is not the only suitable product.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks for the advise Kurt and seven delta.

It’s pretty standard to drill throw brick for power outlets . Sds-max drill bit will have no problems . You can you foam to seal the hole up . They even have big ones now to keep them away if it’s under a overhang no need for silicone .

drill without hammer operation on the drill and use expanding foam to seal behind and around the box.

I would drill a series of small holes to outline the box then use an omt to cut between with a blade such as the Bosch OSL114CG

I never new that had blades like this . Seems it would be a bit slow going .

Always willing to learn .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I will have to see what the electrician will say and do. Only reason I want a outlet on the front is if I need power for something I can use a extension chord plus using for the Holidays like Halloween and Christmas.

I think, so you should consult with a professional concrete/brick contractors because they are the one who can give you proper advice. My neighbor was also dealing with this same situation so they had consulted ___ contractors, who had provided them with the best advice.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

OK. Thanks for the reply Duane.

RyanF
    Pro

OK. Thanks for the reply Duane.

😕

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Put this one in at my house 30 yrs ago. 1/4″ carbide drill bit, Drill ( without hammer like Kurt said) hammer and chisel is all I used.

Attachments:

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think, so you should consult with a professional concrete/brick contractors because they are the one who can give you proper advice. My neighbor was also dealing with this same situation so they had consulted with ___contractors, who had provided them with the best advice.

@duanephillips, I removed the link in your post. We do not allow advertising on BTP.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Has anyone ever seen this before? The soil (high sulfate content) is eating the block, found no information on the internet, this is not flourecence (white scaling) this appears to be something much worse.

See above. Has anyone ever seen this?

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@hojo04 the brick is almost 100% just a cladding / face that has a standard wood framed wall behind, likely with aspinite or plywood on it, with the brick having bent brick ties nailed to the wall, then bent into the mortar joints to add strength and keep the face from separating. Nothing structural about it, and even if it were (like a block foundation wall) you wouldn’t have an issue with a hole of that size.

@calbri13 were you trying to post a picture with your question?

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I got it done already. They put a external box (that is what I would call it) and it has 2 outlets.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@calbri13, try reducing the size of the picture and posting again. BTP routinely rejects images that are too big!

Jon P.
    Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I got it done already. They put a external box (that is what I would call it) and it has 2 outlets.

Oh, good stuff. To be honest I didn’t look at the dates on the previous comments, my bad.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.635 seconds