dcsimg

Cutting Board Chaos

This topic contains 66 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Nyx 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)
  • Author

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I was thinking that I owe the wife a cutting board – her grandfather used to make them for her but he hasn’t been woodworking in a few years. Have any of you guys made any? I was looking for something that would be kind of ‘modern’ I guess, but still uses some nice hardwood – endgrain for sure. I came across this one pattern called the ‘Chaos Cutting Board’ and it looked pretty nice.

Detailed Pics:
    http://imgur.com/a/BUglz

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Matt, that board looks really sweet. I don’t know how they got that all to fit together? Is there a secret pattern that I cannot see?

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Ha I forgot to include that – here’s a link to the chaotic pattern video that breaks down how it’s done:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uYaPgesp0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG3uYaPgesp0

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Wow, I just watched that entire video. Its pretty crazy how much work goes into a cutting board like that. It also helps to have an incredible miter sled on your table saw.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Amazing! Thanks for sharing, Matt. Can’t wait to see what you end up making.

Pat

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

That looks like quite the project. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

redwood
    Pro

I made a cutting board in woodshop about 45 years ago. It’s probably not modern enough.

That board looks crazy. It also looks like it could be distracting if you were using it as a cutting board.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Wow ! That is Chaos !!

Anonymous

Gee whiz LOL, That guy don’t know when to stop LOL. I liked the design about half way through the process. It’s still very cool. Thanks Matt

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is insane. I don’t know if I could do that. Sounds like a good project though. Can’t wait to see what you do.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

It is kind of crazy for sure, but I think it would be fun to do. I think I’m crazy enough to try it. I’ll certainly let you know how it all turns out.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Holy moly. That would be a cool project. I hope you pull it off! Keep us posted.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Awesome cutting board! Don’t know that the wife would enjoy the “chaos” though. They certainly can be fun to build and how fancy you get is up to you. Show us pics when you get done Matt.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is one nice board.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I dont know that I would have the patience to work on that in my spare time.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

That is awesome but I think I’ll stick to corian and my router.
    I like it when she says” You already finished it, Wow!”

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That is a sweet cutting board!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have never made a cutting board but I did restore this butcher block. I turned all new legs and the buttons to cover thebolts

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I have never made a cutting board but I did restore this butcher block. I turned all new legs and the buttons to cover thebolts

I love a solid piece of furniture like that.

I need to pick up a planer for this project to get it going, but should be able to do that pretty soon.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Matt, I would suggest a wide format drum sander. It will work well on the flat edges and much better than a planer on the end grain for the final smoothing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.617 seconds