dcsimg

Cutting a kerf slot advice needed

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I will need to repair the bottom of a few exterior wood door jamb. Moisture from driving rain has penetrated and caused wood rot at the bottom.

There is visible rot at the bottom four inches or so. I removed all the loose wood and cut back as high as 12” to get to solid good wood. Putting in a new prehung door is not an option right now.
    I have rebuilt the bottom 12″ of the door jamb and stop. No problem.

The only issue is the original door stop has a precut slot in the door stop for kerf weatherstripping. I need to make a similar slot IN PLACE in the new door stop.

How would you make such a slot? What tool? OMT? Router? Dremel? What blade or bit?

Thank you.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

How deep and wide is the required slot?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I say 1/2″ deep and the width of slot is about 3/32″, about twice the size of a OMT wood blade.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sounds like they needed a new entry door.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I say 1/2″ deep and the width of slot is about 3/32″, about twice the size of a OMT wood blade.

Try stacking 2 OMT blades to get the thickness or just cut the slot with one and ride the side to get the desired width.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Cut the spline off the weather strip and glue and brad nail it in place.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Try stacking 2 OMT blades to get the thickness or just cut the slot with one and ride the side to get the desired width.

I was actually thinking about doubling the OMT blades and see if that would work on a scrap piece of lumber. That would be an ultimate hack haha.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cut the spline off the weather strip and glue and brad nail it in place.

the new pieces I put in are 12-18″ tall. I wish I thought of that sooner then I could have put it on my table saw and two passes I have a perfect slot. Hindsight, oh well.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I was actually thinking about doubling the OMT blades and see if that would work on a scrap piece of lumber. That would be an ultimate hack haha.

Does that work????

Edit: just tried…nope. That would have been nice!

I think I would use a thin kerf circular saw blade to get most of the groove, and the OMT to finish it. Might be a little wobbly, but it’ll be covered so it won’t be too obvious.

Charlie

Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Dremel type rotary tool with router base attatchment and slot cutting bit.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Router with an edge guide.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Router with an edge guide.

I was thinking dremel purely for the size. Could get the slot closer to the threshold before the base bottomed out.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

You mentioned it has to be cut in place, you mean that stop kurf?
    Can you measure and then cut before you install, I’d do like Sorpa mentioned router and guide

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Does that work????

Edit: just tried…nope. That would have been nice!

I think I would use a thin kerf circular saw blade to get most of the groove, and the OMT to finish it. Might be a little wobbly, but it’ll be covered so it won’t be too obvious.

double blading would not work it came loose and no control.

I end up just using the OMT to make two passes, the second pass I “pivoted” a little at the jamb to give me the slight offset I need. No perfect but no one would see it once the weatherseal snapped in.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You mentioned it has to be cut in place, you mean that stop kurf?
    Can you measure and then cut before you install, I’d do like Sorpa mentioned router and guide

Not in this case as I had the weatherstrip removed and didn’t remember I needed the slot until everything is installed. If I did then yes I could make two passes thru my table saw and that would do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.489 seconds