dcsimg

Cutting 1.5 inch square steel tubing

This topic contains 47 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  georgenelson 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Only if you make tanto blades only, those don’t do curves.

@jzm Do you have one??

Don’t have one, only seen it.

So you’ve never tried to cut a curve with one?

I don’t need to have tried one to know a circular saw can’t make tight curves.

Oh ok now it’s tight curves,,,, Because I cut curves with a circular saw all the time.

Well we were talking about cutting blanks for knives, not 4×8 plywood. 😛

So how thick is that steel?? I’d like to try it. I have a metal saw and it’s something i could try.

I cut steel up to anywhere between 3/32 to 3/16th of a inch, how versatile is the saw, could it cut the whole knife out leaving me to grind the bevels after?

Wouldn’t you be better off with a metal cutting bandsaw for knife blanks?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

So how thick is that steel?? I’d like to try it. I have a metal saw and it’s something i could try.

I cut steel up to anywhere between 3/32 to 3/16th of a inch, how versatile is the saw, could it cut the whole knife out leaving me to grind the bevels after?

I don’t know how r-ice gets his stocks, but the ones I can buy at retail are generally 1.5″ wide strips (or sold by linear inch), so probably not the easiest thing to cut with circular saw.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t know how r-ice gets his stocks, but the ones I can buy at retail are generally 1.5″ wide strips (or sold by linear inch), so probably not the easiest thing to cut with circular saw.

Yah thats how I end up buying stock. I just use my metal cutting bandsaw to get the shape I want so I can save the belts for the real grind.

yellaD
    Pro

If you could use a bandsaw, that would be the best…I guess a portable bandsaw would be second best?

gtaylor
    Pro
    El Dorado, Ar

I like to use a 4″ cut off abrasive on my angle grinder when ever possible . The cordless Bosch cag 180 is great for this . If the space is still to tight try a 2″ cutoff disk from harbor freight an a die grinder .

My name is Gerald Taylor of Taylor made granite furnishings LLC . .

I like to use a 4″ cut off abrasive on my angle grinder when ever possible . The cordless Bosch cag 180 is great for this . If the space is still to tight try a 2″ cutoff disk from harbor freight an a die grinder .

The cutoff wheel in an angle grinder is probably the most versatile choice. A metal chop saw or bandsaw would give a nicer quality cut but the tools are not as common to use unless you will keep doing a lot of metal cutting in the future.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

To me I find the chop saw the best method for cutting a nice clean square cut. If I have to cut the metal in a tight space then I get one the small grinders out. I also have a metal cutting band saw but it use it more for cutting solid objects.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Apart from this metal beam which is the best one to drill the metal steel.

Steel Fabrication Dubai

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.475 seconds