dcsimg

Cutting 1.5 inch square steel tubing

This topic contains 47 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  georgenelson 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author

I need to repair some sections of my fence that has rusted out. The bottom is 1.5 inch steel tubing and it has 5/8 inch square pickets. I was planning on cutting out the rusted sections (a few 4-5 inch sections) and then epoxying a new piece in. Since this is not really structural I figured this would work, but I could also weld the piece in if necessary.

My question is on cutting it. Obviously a grinder would work, but a few areas are tight to the concrete footer and I cannot get the grinder in there. What other tool would you use? Maybe an OMT or reciprocating saw?

Appreciate any recomnendations. I want to get as straight of cut as possible if splicing in a new piece and I really do not want to replace 4 foot sctions of fence as that can add up quickly and matching the existing design would be tough.

Thanks

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

MTJ the reciprocating saw with the metal cutting blade should work fine> that’s the first tool I get on it.
    If it were in the wide oped space I’d go with the5 3/8″ metal cutting saw but sounds like it would fit in there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Portable bandsaw? Otherwise I think the best option is the sawzall.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I agree on the sawzall. But how shaky/solid is it to cut? Could be a jumpy mess.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yh definitely the portable bandsaw. It’ll be the best cut.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Sounds like no room for a portable bandsaw.
    Sawzall would be your best bet for the tight spots.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTJ the reciprocating saw with the metal cutting blade should work fine> that’s the first tool I get on it.

I agree it is the main reason the recip saw was developed to get into tight places and cut through anything. They make long 12″ and 15″ blades if you need more access.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

If it’s not heavy gauge, an old trusty hacksaw may do it

--Steve

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

A sawzall is not going to make pretty cuts. But may be the best choice in this situation.
    I wonder if you might be able to use a grinder with a cutting blade for the bottom cut or the sawzall. And a jigsaw with a metal blade for the rest.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The reciprocating saw with the new Freud Carbide Steel cutting blades do wonders.

WE also use a small grinder, Metal cutting skillsaw or a port o ban.

The OMT with the carbide blades would work fine also.

Thanks, guys. I can get access with a grinder for a couple cuts, but a few have no clearance so need a plan b. Will try the recipient and omt and see how it goes. I have enough stock for a few practice runs before committing to the real thing. Lucky it is on the bottom so if I end up making a real mess if things it will not be the end if world as it will be somewhat hidden.

Orange County, CA

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Yeah if you can, a portable band saw would probably make the least vibration, but a jig saw and or sawzal would be next. , if you have the place and the tools, the metal cutting circ saw would be great.

If it’s not heavy gauge, an old trusty hacksaw may do it

Hacksaw or framesaw would be my choice

Depending on how thick of course

Omt would cost a fortune in blades probably.

Wire saw is also a good choice, if you have one.

lulu
    Pro

a recip saw would work. but a cutting torch would be a whole lot better. if you use a recip saw a LENOX GOLD blade works really well.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This little saw is a gem for things like that!
    In the pic is 5/16 steel.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Depending on how thick of course

Omt would cost a fortune in blades probably.

Bosch/Dremel carbide teeth (not grit) blade should be able to handle it easily. Regular bimetal might survive a nail or two but won’t last nearly long enough for something that size.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thats pretty amazing, i’ve never thought about cutting steel with a circular saw, how different is it from cutting wood? what is the feedback like?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow nice that it will cut a 5/16″ piece of solid steel.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

thats pretty amazing, i’ve never thought about cutting steel with a circular saw, how different is it from cutting wood? what is the feedback like?

I think that’s the metal cutting saw… looks like it handles that steel with no problem. @dirtywhiteboy how does it do with the sparks and hot slivers?

--Steve

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Probably a 30 second job with a Sawzall. That what those things are made for.

Sawzalls don’t have to cut sloppy. You can get quite good cuts with one. The new Freud metal-cutting blades are really nice, as are Milwaukee blades.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.956 seconds