dcsimg

Cut Plaster & Lath without destroying the wall

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Catenae1
    Pro
    Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I’m demo-ing a bath in a 90 yr old bungalow and need to expand through the wall into the adjoining closet.

My experience with plaster & lath has been less than great. What tools & techniques are best for cutting a floor-to-ceiling line in order to reuse part of an existing wall?

DETAILS
    For specifics, pictures are attached.

The original bath is 5’6″ x 7′. All interior walls are gutted to the studs (in progress).

The plan is to cut through a portion of the right wall – see the pic of the plan – to allow a 5′ tub and have a sink/vanity that is centered on the left window.

I can work on the back side of the plaster wall that is inside the closet of a bedroom – see the picture of this wall from the gutted bathroom side.

The rectangular room will be expanded through a portion of – not the entire – wall length. So I need to cut that plaster!

Advice? Please!

Thanks – Robert

I think I would try a grinder. I have been able to make reasonable cuts using one in plaster with a diamond blade. I am sure more experience folks will chime in.

Orange County, CA

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Hate to state the obvious but if you cut the plaster at the inside of the studs the stud spacing where you use it will have to be narrower that where you cut it from.

Catenae1
    Pro
    Baltimore, MD

And I hate to be obtuse – but I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

cutting the plaster where its going to end with a grinder will work but its extremely dusty.. if your going to do it this way make sure you plastic off the room extremely well . and open the window and set up a large fan blowing outwards to suck the dust out of the room

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

You may be planning on doing different than I am thinking. I was thinking that if you cut the plaster and lathe between two studs with 16″ on center and then try and put it back on studs with the same spacing there will be no way to nail it to the studs, it will just fall through the opening. The new spacing would have to be 14 1/2″ on center for the plaster section to nail up correctly.

Like I said you may have something completely different in mind. I just know sometimes I forget the obvious details much to my detriment. I spent 5 hours hanging one door slab last night because I forgot to check the opening for square at the begining.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I use a small 5″ diamond blade tile saw. Wear goggles and have someone mist the cut with water (after you build a plastic tent.)
    By the way is their Lead paint on those walls?

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

I once had a similar situation but decided to demo the whole wall and sheet rock it. I figured it would save time and agony in the long run. Is this a possibility in your case?

Catenae1
    Pro
    Baltimore, MD

Thanks to all for responding. Let me reply:

Jerry,
    You wrote, “and then try and put it back on studs with the same spacing there will be no way to nail it to the studs, it will just fall through the opening.” I’m not sure what “it” means. I feel your pain about the door, though.

Jeff,
    I understand about the dust. However, instead of opening windows I do the reverse – eliminate air flow. I wore a respirator and shut the windows so the dust wouldn’t blow around much and hopefully settle faster & more locally. But I understand your approach.

Rob,
    In this 89y.o. house, I’m sure the walls had some lead paint. Respirator (not the paper kind, the canister kind) has been my friend during many projects.

Brendan,
    YES! I was fretting about a closet wall and such a small section that it wasn’t worth any extra effort to save it (about 20″ wide).

In any case, I used a Fein oscillating tool with a dull blade to score a line through the hard plaster, then broke away the trash side. The grey under coat (not the hard, white plaster) crumbled at the line. I pulled enough plaster away at the cut line to get a sawblade only on lath.

I then used a sharp, long Sawzall blade at as low an angle to minimize push & pull on the lath. It worked well. I then pulled away the trash side of lath & plaster, letting the plaster fall off the lath and then pulled the lath off the studs.

I was hoping to salvage the ceiling plaster, but it turns out a skylight is going in and the ceiling drywall will mount to the roof rafters for a cathedral ceiling.

Time to get back to work!

Thanks for your comments, and feel free to reply.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Robert,
    Let us know how things work out for you, and any tips you might have. In the past, I’ve used a grinder, but maybe there’s a better way…

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I always use a skill saw with a masonry blade .It is dusty but works well .

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Yeah, John, I guess I’ve done that too. Makes quite the mess, though. 🙂

cranbrook2
    Pro

I have a Ridgid air filtration system that sucks the dust up pretty fast .

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Now that’s what I need…A filtration system.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ve done exactly this quite a few times. On the lath side run a few rows of expanding foam on either side of where you need to cut. After it’s fully cured it will lock all the lath together, then you can cut on the plaster side with a sabre saw without the vibration breaking everything

cranbrook2
    Pro

I wonder if duct tape or tuck tape would work to keep everything in place.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Not a bad idea. It’s good to get new ideas like this; thanks, Charles! I’d have never thought of that!

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Yeah, John. It’s possible. Something else to try. I think the vibration and shaking is what kills it, so eliminate that and things should go fine.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Duct tape would be a good idea if you can get it to stick. Duct tape often won’t stick to dusty surfaces.

Charles that is an excellent idea with the expanding foam. Kinda a play on the plaster paris palentologists use to imobolize fossils for transport.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Both good ideas and the plaster of paris would be cheaper and set faster.
    Thanks guys.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.454 seconds