dcsimg

Craftsman Tools

This topic contains 228 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 229 total)
  • Author

Gotta love em, and gotta get frustrated by the chinese stuff they are producing these days too… Nevertheless, this article was quite interesting…

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/07/craftsman-tools-in-retrospect-a-50-year-comparison/

I am not sure that his calculations are fair analysis of what the cost of craftsman tools used to be for people, but it is still a very interesting read

What do you guys think about Craftsman tools?

John S

No problems with the hand tools. Lots of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and screwdrivers in my time and they have all been nice tools. Would not buy their brand of power tools though. Better alternatives with Bosch and Milwaukee.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

most people i know only like craftsmen because its a reputable name and they have lifetime warranty on most of their stuff.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Very interesting, I have had a lot of their hand tools over the years and a few of their power tools. The hand tools ans sockets I have have held up well. The older power tools have held up well also but once you got into the 80’s the quality of the power toos went down considerably. I have always thought their table saws were decent at least up to the 90’s, I have a late 80’s table saw that I use regularly and I would hate to know how many miles of lumber it has ripped. I would guess it is significant for a standard contractors saw but probably low by cabinet shop standards however.

Anonymous

Never been a fan of their hand tools, I’ve broken plenty of them. And the design as far as the angle of open end wrenches just wasn’t right in tight spots, Plus they were uncomfortable in the hand. I ain’t saying I don’t have any still LOL, but they are just spares or loaners or a last resort…..Snap-On is still my favorite. However I will say, I do have Craftsman roll-away tool cabinets, I bought the highest grade they had 30 years ago. They’ve held up pretty well for me and a LOT cheaper than the Snap-On ones

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I used to buy some Craftsman mechanics tools but I have never owned any of their woodworking tools. I stopped buying their mechanics tools several years ago because I felt there was a decline in quality. Now most of my mechanics tools are Snap-On, Matco, S&K, MAC.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They are often times called CrapMan tools now because of the Chinese co. that now builds them.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

There ain’t nothing worse than having crappy tools, Especially in mechanical work when yer under something greasy or in a tight spot and the dang tool fails ya

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Is Craftsman equal to Mastercraft ?

A Working Pro since 2004

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have some of there hand tools. For the money they are ok. Can’t get much better at there price point. I don’t feel like they are as good as they once were.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I have an old Craftsman circ saw 50’s?

Still works just fine.

Mid 80’s router still works fine.

More bells and whistles on the new tools, but the old ones do what they were intended. Can’t beat that.

Is Craftsman equal to Mastercraft ?

I don’t think so? Craftsman has been around for a long, long time, and used to be all USA made only… like Dirty mentioned,

They are often times called CrapMan tools now because of the Chinese co. that now builds them.

…hence the love/hate relationship with Craftsman these days. They used to make really good quality tools for a decent price. They still have some quality tools, but it depends on what it is. And for the die-hard USA only guys, Craftsman has fewer and fewer options it seems

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve been using craftsman wrenches and sockets for years. They made a change about 10 years ago and the newer stuff is not the same quality.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I remember when I was about 14 years old…drooling over the Craftsman tool catalog.. I would write down all the stuff I wanted.
    My First hammer was a Craftsman 16oz. curved claw..I bought one just like it a few months ago for sentimental reasons, but it’s the only Craftsman tool I own.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@supimeister Did you notice the Table Saw you had would cost $1597.79 today

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I for some reason have mostly Craftsman for my shop power tools. They’re all from the 80’s or older(except the routers)(all garage sale finds) and not much to look at, but they still preform what I need them too. I also have a few of there mechanics tools floating around.

I don’t recall ever buying any Craftsman tools new, mostly just stuff I’ve acquired in toolboxes and found items over the years.

As my boss last fall said: “Just because you have Craftsman tools, doesn’t make you craftsman…”

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

That is why I don’t think his calculations are “fair”… one couldn’t sell it in pristine condition on craigslist for but $200-300 MAX.

John S

Anonymous

That is why I don’t think his calculations are “fair”… one couldn’t sell it in pristine condition on craigslist for but $200-300 MAX.

I don’t think you caught Sproky’s point, In todays money that saw would cost $1597 new, Comparing to what it cost in 1964…..I guess 1964 is hard for you to imagine, When I was your age (mid 20’s) 50 years prior for me would have been the late 1920’s early 1930’s LOL..Wowwy

Hey that’s about the age of my bench grinder though

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I used to use their tape measures but then they changed manufacturers and I went over to a better one.
    I know that TTI makes a lot of their battery tools and some of the bigger tools like their table saws.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just bought a set of hard handle Craftsman ratchets. Guy takes the raised beam ratchets, and machines them to accept the hard handle screwdriver handles. I’ll post a picture when they arrive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 3.093 seconds