dcsimg

Craftsman "NEW" tool storage offering at Lowes

This topic contains 105 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yep, first thing I do with them when I get them. Even the DeWalt and Stanley stickers.

@miamicuse
    I forgot to mention something about the deep drawers. I’ve heard of others having this problem and I have it myself with them after a few months or sooner. The drawer glides work reallly well but the plastic at the base of the box eventually deforms with weight on it and the drawers begin to drag. I haven’t had this problem with the shallow drawers. It helps to keep the deep drawers stacked so that with the interlocking feet there’s support across the whole bottom of the box but they still deform over time. The dragging deep drawers haven’t hindered their performance but they lose the smooth solid glide feeling.

Thanks, that’s good to know. That means if it’s too heavy like if you toss into the drawer a bunch of hammers and wrenches the drawer may say and strain the glides. This seems to be a problem with other brands as well. I am trying to figure out my configuration and had planned on the deep drawers for some of the compact power tools instead of the cases.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I examined the parts organizer and I found a few pleasant surprises.

The individual parts “cups”, has feet that stack into other cups. So you can stack them over each other without them fallen over.

There is a recess in the tray below each cup. Perfect to store some AA, AAA, 9V batteries, and emergency cash under each and have them stay in place.

The entire tray can be plied out easily with a flat head screwdriver. Once out its is just the same as the suitcase only the top is transparent with no top side handle.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@xtsallad, do you have the dewalt TSTAK long handle toolbox? Your thoughts?

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

@xtsallad, do you have the dewalt TSTAK long handle toolbox? Your thoughts?

I think that’s the one I have but mine is Stanley branded Tstak. I’ll show a pic. It’s not the separate dolly but the integrated two wheel big box with a telescoping handle. It’s perfect for me but if you do a lot of heavy construction and need a really rugged system it’s not as robust as Milwaukee’s Packout or deWalt’s Tough Boxes. More in the lines of Tanos or Sortimo but the boxes them selves are tougher. My Lboxxes are ABS without glass fiber reinforcement. I’m not sure what Tanos are made of. I think TSTAK is polypropylene. The wheels aren’t as robust as the Bosch’s L-dolly but have held up. I’ve had a couple of the connecting latches break on the Tstaks but it’s because I had them strapped into a truck too low and I always have the boxes overloaded. They’re an easy fix. I had one dolly box crack during a commercial flight but it was really minor and I didn’t notice for a few months. Loaded down the tstak handle box I use is ok but not super confidence inspiring as the wheels are a little cheap, not bad since they’re rubber coated on the tread, and the handle is kind of flexible and it’s easy to bump your knuckles on the boxes while moving it around.

j

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By long handle tool box I mean the one where they have a larger handle and it’s more like a parts organizer and a box together.

DWST17808

DWST17814

I don’t know if Stanley makes an equivalent one but Craftsman doesn’t offer these options – YET.

As for the dolly I haven’t decided. There are three options and I am leaning to not getting a wheeled box, but using the DeWalt TSTAK “L” dolly.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

so far I have received eight of the boxes.

I ordered 8 of the parts organizers and they shipped one from this place, two from another place, one from yet another place, and I still have two in transit.

I removed the tray and cups from the parts organizer and used some of the parts organizer as a clear top case.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The best part is when I looked at them again is that the Crapsman logo on the Boxx is a sticker that can be peeled off

What is the easiest way to remove those stickers?

(1) Heat Gun
    (2) Liberal application of GOO-OFF
    (3) Scrap with a putty knife then remove residue with mineral spirit.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

so far I have received eight of the boxes.

I ordered 8 of the parts organizers and they shipped one from this place, two from another place, one from yet another place, and I still have two in transit.

I removed the tray and cups from the parts organizer and used some of the parts organizer as a clear top case.

Congratulations, that’s a great idea, definitely clear lids make it easier to see what’s inside,

I was just looking at the home Depot circular, I don’t know if it’s new from husky, but they have also a three stack tool box with the handle and wheels. Looks good I’ll have to take a trip out to check it out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The best part is when I looked at them again is that the Crapsman logo on the Boxx is a sticker that can be peeled off

(1) Heat Gun

I usually pick the corner with a razor knife and then go from there. Hopefully it’s a clean pull.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

(1) Heat Gun

I’ve used both these products from LV. They are both excellent and do what is described well. The CitrusSolve is no longer available at LV and was basically replaced by the other one they now carry.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=69651&cat=1,43415,43439&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=55599&cat=1,43415,43439

A bottle lasts a long time. Best results are if you let it soak the label or residue for a minute or two and then wipe off. Been using this stuff for near 20 years.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have been using the Craftsman Versastack boxes for a week now, during which I organized my stuff and reorganized a few times to try to make things more space efficient.

But here are my summarized opinions on their current mobile tool storage offerings.

(1) Their Versastack series which is exactly like the Dewalt TSTAK and the Stanley Fatmax is definitely worth a look, if you are considering stackable mobile rolling toolboxes.
    (2) The other rolling tool products in the first few posts of this thread, the two tier, three tier mobile or rolling work centers, meh…,I wouldn’t waste my time. Bad design. Bad execution.
    (3) As xtsallad mentioned, it’s not as bullet proof as the toughboxes, but it’s comparable to the other brands. I seriously considered the toughboxes but they are a fair bit heavier. Unless you toss your box around a lot and sit the box outside then you may consider the TBs. I would say in general these boxes are stronger and more durable than most tool’s original hard cases. I compared the standard case with my Bosch rotary hammer case and the CM is sturdier.
    (4) The large rolling box at the bottom – I personally do NOT like due to its hollow plastic wheels. So I will be getting a deWalt L dolley to use with it instead.
    (4) Since there are three brands under the SBD that offer compatible same products, you could mix and match and buy whichever is on sale if you don’t mind the colors being different.
    (5) I also agree with xtsallad that the drawers are the most versatile and useful aspect of these series. The ball bearing drawer guides that locks and roll out 90% are real nice.
    (6) The parts organizer has a bottom tray that is removable. I wish that tray would fit into their standard case. It’s exactly the same except at the side handles the inside shape changes a little. I don’t understand this. They should have made it interchangeable.
    (7) I wish the parts organizers could have two shallower boxes instead of one deep above the bottom tray. The small organizers do stack into each other which is nice when you are getting some out of the way to get to the bottom parts. If they would sell half height little organizer boxes that would allow you to be more space efficient in many cases.
    (8) I wish they would have just one single shallow drawer that you can piggy back at the bottom of an existing case, no need for top handle. That allows you to do a “plus one” carry configuration.

Kamster
    Pro

If you need to haul your gear up and down stairs, I can tell you from experience that with the tstak and versastak design, the weak spot in the design is the pull out handle. It will break eventually

I have the tstak on the rolling dolly. The 4 wheels roll smoothly and have brakes. The base is solid. The one thing that I really like about the Tstak design is that you can open a case without removing the modules above (assuming that you don’t really heavy things in top boxes that will throw the center of gravity way off)

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If you need to haul your gear up and down stairs, I can tell you from experience that with the tstak and versastak design, the weak spot in the design is the pull out handle. It will break eventually

I have the tstak on the rolling dolly. The 4 wheels roll smoothly and have brakes. The base is solid. The one thing that I really like about the Tstak design is that you can open a case without removing the modules above (assuming that you don’t really heavy things in top boxes that will throw the center of gravity way off)

Are you referring to the handle on the top or side when the case is sitting horizontally (not standing up like a briefcase)? Which handle is prone to breaking?

Many brands will now allow opening boxes without removing boxes on top of it, even the newer version of the L-boxx will do that. I don’t do it often, as I find it unnatural to stack boxes based on their weights. I stack the most likely to use box on top, and I am doing more drawers to make it easier to access the middle tier of boxes.

Kamster
    Pro

I have the one that xtsallad showed in the photo in this post

xtsallad

You can’t load the bottom box with too much weight. The handle will pull out of the base with moderate use. I think that the handle on mine lasted 4 months before it came out.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have been using the Craftsman Versastack boxes for a week now, during which I organized my stuff and reorganized a few times to try to make things more space efficient.

But here are my summarized opinions on their current mobile tool storage offerings.

(1) Their Versastack series which is exactly like the Dewalt TSTAK and the Stanley Fatmax is definitely worth a look, if you are considering stackable mobile rolling toolboxes.

Not surprised at your first observation as for right now most new Craftsman stuff is just rebranded Stanley/DeWalt items.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have the one that xtsallad showed in the photo in this post

xtsallad

You can’t load the bottom box with too much weight. The handle will pull out of the base with moderate use. I think that the handle on mine lasted 4 months before it came out.

Oh you mean the big bottom box with the built in wheels and pull out luggage style handle?

Yes I realized that when I was testing it inside the store I put like two stacks of 18 water bottle packs in it and tried to lift it up and down a few times and concluded that I don’t want to be putting my deep tools into that box and then having to move that box in and out of the truck every time. I ended up not buying any of the deep boxes and instead bought a TSTAK L-dolly for the mobility.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh you mean the big bottom box with the built in wheels and pull out luggage style handle?

I use both the Ridgid and DeWalt rolling box and fill them heavy. I have not had the handle fail yet and have used both of them to go up and down stairs.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I use both the Ridgid and DeWalt rolling box and fill them heavy. I have not had the handle fail yet and have used both of them to go up and down stairs.

I find that box a bit too deep for me and I will probably end up tossing all kinds of stuff in it to make it too heavy. Right now I am not using a deep box but instead the stacking tote on the L dolly.

Kamster
    Pro

Yes, the big bottom box with wheels and pull out luggage handle. Its just not strong enough

I just bought the Milwaukee Packout. HD has the 3 box set on “special buy” right now in Canada. Its heavier and wider than the Versstak but it will definitely handle stairs with no problems

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I seriously considered the Packout myself because most of my cordless tools are milwaukee. I decided against it mainly because their small boxes do not have the top handle. They way I store stuff I need the top handle so I don’t have to carry the boxes sideways like a brief case.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.422 seconds